Sign in to follow this  
the Inventor

18th century VOC States yacht

[pid][/pid] 121A

Well I present to you my first build ship, of the Age of Sail. :pir-sweet:

I wanted to build a Dutch VOC ship so I started my search, I found some nice ideas and I chose to build a states yacht.

State yachts, were used to transport the members of the Staten-Generaal or other important people.

It's still a WIP although it is almost finished, some small things are yet to be build. the left side is also not yet finished. And the rigging and the sails are yet to come. The biggest part that I miss is one of the small midsection, so I used some black bricks to substituted it.

I based my design on "De Utrecht" which you can see below:

Statenjacht_De_Utrecht.jpg

Now my ship:

wip_statenjacht_1.jpg

The deck:

wip_statenjacht_4.jpg

The stern:

wip_statenjacht_3.jpg

The bow of the ship with the figurehead:

wip_statenjacht_5.jpg

And a picture of the side so you can see the swords better:

wip_statenjacht_6.jpg

A couple more pictures can be found on brickshelf when moderated.

Hope you all like my ship, :pir-blush:

C&C welcome.

the Inventor

So we will se this ship again eh? Nice little ship indeed, but it think CGH`s hass still the best version. :pir-blush:

Anyway, i hope you luck whit this ship, even at im not sure why it has to be that huge wooden shield. :pir-sceptic: At me it just ugly

Captain Becker

Even at im not sure why it has to be that huge wooden shield. :pir-sceptic: At me it just ugly

Captain Becker

These huge wooden 'shields' are called swords, and they keep the ship upright as ships with swords have no deep keel. Especially old Dutch vessels have these since there are a lot of shallow waters, unsuitable for ships with deep keels.

P1110113.JPG

A typical Frisian Skûtsje (Frisian type of ship)

That aside, off to the States Yacht. :pir-sweet:

She is a beauty the Inventor! Especially as it is your first ship. :thumbup:

Great colours, and the details at the stern are very nice. The figurehead is great too!

I only dislike the chains used as ropes.

Good luck with the sails!

You've done a good job of replicating the model here. It is difficult to get the colours exactly right within what in available in Lego and so I think it looks a little bright. Otherwise though, very nice.

Proves that 'small' (all relative to the size of the ships of our famous ship builders here of course) can also be impressive. Great work the Inventor. I really like the yellow/blue color scheme.

I guess it won't be long before the CP 'blogged' icon will appear in this thread. :pir-sweet:

Thanks for the positive comments so far. :pir-cry_happy:

@ Captain Blakmoor, of course those chains are going to be changed into ropes, when I start with the rigging. I just forgot to mention it. :pir-blush:

the Inventor

Edited by the Inventor

I guess it won't be long before the CP 'blogged' icon will appear in this thread. :pir-sweet:

:pir-wink:

@ Captain Blakmoor, of course those chains are going to be changed into ropes, when I start with the rigging. I just forgot to mention it. :pir-blush:

the Inventor

Ah, that is good news.

I'm looking forward to see her under full sail, as she is a beautiful vessel. :pir-blush:

I think you did a very good job on this ship :thumbup:

The colours, and the details (especially stern and figurehead,and the 'horizontal capstan') are very nice.

I'm also glad that you're going to give it a better rigging, and sails.

In case you don't know, if you're going to add a sail to the 'normal yard', keep in mind that it should look like this:

statenjacht.jpg

So the square sail is on a horizontal yard (so not in the same direction as the 'sprit yard' that's hanging behind the mast).

I would also remove the flag on that yard, so you'll only have them on the places of this picture.

And then it will be perfect :pir-classic:

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Edited by Admiral Croissant

Looks great! I really like all the details you have incorporated in this moc! The only thing I would have done differently is add a little dimension to the sides of the ship, looks a little flat. Other than that I really like it, and it really looks alot like the picture! Nice job, Inventor, keep up the good work!

:jollyroger:

Edited by Capt. Stabbin

These huge wooden 'shields' are called swords, and they keep the ship upright as ships with swords have no deep keel. Especially old Dutch vessels have these since there are a lot of shallow waters, unsuitable for ships with deep keels.

I've never heard of them referred to as swords. I've only heard them called Leeboards.

I think you are well under way to make a fine version of the yacht.

The reddish brown striping is actually red on the real ship, you might want to use dark red for that. :pir-wink:

I've never heard of them referred to as swords. I've only heard them called Leeboards.

In Dutch we call them swords, as they work like one. :pir-wink:

Thanks for the nice comments and thanks Admiral Croissant for blogging my MOC. :pir-sweet:

@ Admiral Croissant: about that flag, on some pictures you do see that there is a flag on that place.

@ Captain Green Hair: if you meant that striping above the blue-yellow, than that actually is dark red. :pir-wink: Maybe it looks a bit like reddish brown in some pictures, but it is definitely dark red.

the Inventor

I'm very impressed by this VOC staten yacht!

And I'm happy seeing a Dutchman making a VOC ship. If I were from the Netherlands I wouldn't make any other ships but VOC ships. Well, maybe I'd make an English ship but just for target practicing :pir-classic:

I'm hoping that one day one of our dutch expert LEGO ship builders (Captain Green Hair, Admiral Croissant, Captain Blackmoor, Teddy, ...) will make a 'minifig illusion scale' VOC ship like the Batavia (seems like a good medium sized ship to start with) and maybe even one day the might Seven Provincien :pir-wub: