Superkalle

[KEY TOPIC] LDD 4 Bugs and brick errors

Thanks for the additional info guys. I took the lot, wrapped it in fancy paper and sent it to TLG :tongue:

Now all we can do is wait...

Here's a (I think) new one.

Part number 2464, Facet Brick, Bottom 3x3x2 has a couple of quirks. Firstly some of the inside 'tubes' stretch up too far - see leftmost two images, first from Bricklink, second as in LDD. Secondly the bottom of the pieces seems to be slightly out, you can arrange them on a 2x2 plate (see third image), but if you try to put anything bigger there it won't fit. Set 4537 is an example of the fact this should work.

lddscreenshot32x.png

The minifig helmet (not the classic helmet) sometimes sits too low on the minifig head. I'm too lazy to post a screen shot.

Not sure whether this is an LDD or an LDDManager issue, but for some reason part #33183 in LDD:

33183.jpg

shows up as part #4502a

4502a.gif

in LDDManager.

Not sure whether this is an LDD or an LDDManager issue, but for some reason part #33183 in LDD:

shows up as part #4502a

in LDDManager.

Well, I wish I could blame this on LDD, but I can't, because it's a LDD miss. :blush: Fixed in the next version.

But thanks for letting me know :classic:

I found a bug in piece 54091 Bow Bottow 8x8x2, it appears the inside isn't quite low enough so that a brick built structure which touches the inner base is ever so slightly too high, sometimes leading to build errors later on. To demonstrate this I've made an LXF (below) which contains a similar build at either end, except one has a blue 1x4 brick on the inside. You can see in the right hand side part of the image that this leaves a fine gap that shouldn't normally be present.

54091_ldd4_bug.png

Sample LXF

This bug has caused build issues with set 7683, 7734 and 7738.

That one was reported here a few weeks ago, and I sent it to TLG. So I guess now it's at some poor 3D-designers to-do list in Billund waiting to be fixed. :laugh:

Ah, must've missed that.

Here's another for you, the 30374 light sword blade won't fit into the technic pin bit of 43122 Rotor Blades. This is used on the 7784 UCS Batmobile model.

When searching for parts using the part numbers, the part numbers at the back of the instructions don't work, but the ones on BL do. Is there a different numbering system for the part inventory?

When searching for parts using the part numbers, the part numbers at the back of the instructions don't work, but the ones on BL do. Is there a different numbering system for the part inventory?

The numbers at the back of the instructions are Element IDs, which refer to a specific piece in a specific colour. The numbers used in the search (and are mostly identical on Bricklink) are the Design IDs, which refer to the part regardless of colour.

Oh, that explains everything! So there's no way to find out part numbers from the manuals then, right?

Here's an error I encountered while building 8899 Gator Swamp: the plant piece 6255 cannot be centered between four studs except with a scaffold. When it is placed between four studs, no connection is recognized (the connected selection tool will just select one piece or the other).

error_9.png

These two parts should be connected, but LDD does not recognize a connection between them when the plant is centered between four studs.

Since a few years ago, LDD has had the gear elements. Unfortunately, it is impossible to place the gears that are supposed to go at right angles to each other at right angles to each other. This is because their model files do not allow them to mesh like real gears should. For instance the parts that LDD knows as DOUBLE CONICAL WHEEL Z20 1M in tan, the color LDD calls "brick yellow".

The other impossible part about gears is placing them exactly right so that they do mesh! The rotation tool is so fussy when it comes to rotating an element, if gears are supposed to mesh can't they program it to detect that condition and make appropriate rotation angles automatically?

LDD also needs an animation capacity while building a model. For instance connect technic beams so that they make rotations the same way that a piston does. I should be able to connect multiple beams, select the one anchored to a rotation point, and make a locking device that slides in and out of another structure by moving beams. Being able to define a model as a sub-model and make them into a set of bricks interconnected as one would be of great help here!

I like to make my models do what my real LEGO bricks can do, and so should the designers of LDD! It's fun to build a nice model and make people think, "How'd they do that!", and then they go open the model file to find out! Animation would be a key improvement for LDD.

I like LDD a lot because of it's ease of use, but if they don't advance the core principles of LEGO building in the program, it will remain hard to use for anyone who wants to reproduce advanced building techniques they already know.

The rubber raft 30086.gif from the Fire rescue 7239 has boundary problems which mean the outboard motor and life vest cannot fit.

Motor is formed from this piece

44728.gif

Life Vest is formed from these pieces

2877.gif and 3794.gif and 3840.gif

All the bugs have now been reported to TLG :classic:

Cool Lets hope we get a LDD V4.1 sometime in 2011. I also hope TLG are appreciative of the efforts to model their existing models in LDD.

Cool Lets hope we get a LDD V4.1 sometime in 2011. I also hope TLG are appreciative of the efforts to model their existing models in LDD.

Well, I hope so too. It would be cool to hear what they think, because we have here on EB, as far as I understand, the worlds largest collection of official sets created in any Lego CAD-tool. I'm guessing there are over 1000 now. I mean there are a lot of cool stuff you can do with sets modelled in 3D (find where the extra part is supposed to go that is left over after buildint the set, quickly play around with alternate color schemes etc etc....)

An color fill error happens if you put a tap (4599) into a 1x1 brick or 1x1 plate, but not in a 1x1 tile.

The free space around the round part of the tap is filled with the color of the brick

error_tap.png

Fine grid needed!.

I want to use taps and other elements to create unusual snot constructions.

But the grid that is used to move the element is not fine enough.

The snot element ends to high (leaving a gap) or to low and it would not fit.

This is not a real error, but it limits the building possibilities with legal constructions

fine_grid_1.png

fine_grid_2.png

An color fill error happens if you put a tap (4599) into a 1x1 brick or 1x1 plate, but not in a 1x1 tile.

The free space around the round part of the tap is filled with the color of the brick

I think that's called an optimization error and it is caused when LDD removes the hidden surfaces of a brick, for example when it is covered by a stud or another brick. By removing unused surfaces, less data has to be handled and the model can be rotated more smoothly. But sometimes this optimization is apperantly not working as intended. :classic:

For fun, I tried to put a 1x1 cone in the holes, and it gives similar results.