Legostein

Expanded Universe Update: 3 new MINI models

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hello everybody,

it's my pleasure today to present you some new mini models today. They're all from the Expanded Universe and are affiliated with the Galactic Empire. They appear in several comic books, novels and computer games. So I hope some you you will recognize some of them. :classic: I first saw all of these in the sourcebooks to the Thrawn trilogy. Then let's begin with the first vessel. As usually the link in the description text provides a reference image, while the images are links to the imaage galleries and building instructions.

--------------------

The first vehicle for today is the Chariot LAV - a light assault vehicle. It's a command speeder used quite often by most Imperial ground forces. To attach the repulsorlift engines at the back, I had to use a modified 4x4 tile with only one studs row. Otherweise the engine cones would have collided with the studs. :classic:

chariot-lav-1.jpg

chariot-lav-4.jpg

--------------------

Second for today is the Imperial Assault Shuttle. It comes in two versions, Beta- and Gamma-class. The outer appearance is identical, so the model can display either of them. :classic: The ship has sloped side walls with hatches to release the space troopers on board. It has a complete SNOT interior enabling this shape with a quite unconventional brick (see instructions). I added as many weapons and sensors as possible as the original design bristles with weapons. :classic:

assault-shuttle-1.jpg

assault-shuttle-4.jpg

--------------------

The thirs and last vessel for today is the infamous Skipray Blastboat, a very small and very dangerous craft. The back part with the engine and wings which also serve as weapons platform can rotate around the ship axis. horizontal alignment is the landing position and vertical alignment is the combat position.

This has been a really tricky ship. The wings are entirely brick-built, and the wing guns are made by chainsaw pieces. The small angled wings at the sides of the cockpit were especially hard to realize. It finally went well by inverting the studs to studs-down orientation and the addition of 1x2 bricks with wing end. :clasic:

skipray-blastboat-01.jpg

skipray-blastboat-04.jpg

skipray-blastboat-06.jpg

--------------------

That's all for today. :classic: Thank you for your time and interest. I hope to see you around soon.

Yours Christopher.

dude, i must say for a Sci-Fi fan like me, these are the coolest mini space crafts i have ever seen! please make more of these, I seem to have a craving for mini Legos! :wub:

Nice ! More fantastic mini MOC goodness from Legostein the master !

The blastboat is particularly neat, but as ever they're all great.

Dr. D.

hello

I made a great deal of mini grace has you and even to make d other than you n not made but I haven't your talent and make it not as well.

You are a big source of inspiration for me

AWESOME 'Legostein' again......man you are good at these little creations eh ? :grin:

The first one reminds me of Landram from the original BSG, as too the shuttle and the last similar in some ways to the upcomming Jedi shuttle.

Fantastic work again and I'm a conformist! 'Legostein' I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Nice! I just finished reading the Thrawn trilogy, so I remember these pretty well. That's a good job, I must say.

Hello Christopher, glad to see you back in the SW forum (you've been in the Sci-fi thread lately). Great minis as usual, I like the Skipray the best. As said before, great way to use the chainsaw. But I just noticed, why didn't you made the wings red/orange just like in the ref. pic? Still, it's a great mini as well as the other two. Keep 'em coming! :thumbup:

That's all for today. :classic: Thank you for your time and interest. I hope to see you around soon.

I can only pray TLG does a figure sized Skipray Blastboat...it's one of my favorite mid-size ships (larger than a standard starfighter, but still smaller than a blockade runner)

Your mini is a thing of utter beauty! :wub: :wub: :wub: Heck, all three are great, but my favorite is the Skipray. :)

Edited by Shadows
Please don't quote the entire original post when it isn't necessary.

FINALLY some new models!!

Glad to see you are back to a normal phase with things Legostein.

The first ship Chariot LAV:

It is really good and the resemblance is very good. I found a piece that I would have tried to use for the front.

Sadly it does not exist in LB grey. It is this piece.

I don´t know it it would have done the job though. Might be to "short" and bulky. I like the use of a 4x4 mod. tile

as the base of the back (use to figure out details and how they are done in your minis).

Second one the Assault Shuttle:

A very smooth and nice design that strikes out your own theorys of the mixture of STUDS and SNOT makes more fun.

That was one of my favorite topics to follow by the way. Just kidding, this vessel should be SNOT for a better look.

Sometimes the 1x1 cheese slopes gives better details than the newer 1x2.

Third ship Skipray Blastboat:

This one reminds me of the Jedi Shuttle T-6 that is white and red and was seen in a few of the last Clone Wars episode.

I have no wish to look it up, but maybe some Harder Corer Star Wars guy??

Got to love how the wind design is able to rotate around the "body" and the idea of building that part upside down.

Great job as usual Legostein!

I've always wondered what a Skipray Blastboat looked like; I distinctly remember reading about them and liking the name :classic:. While your other builds are solid too (and take lots of skill to build in this scale), tbe Blastboat is my favorite, as it's the most unique build and seems to have required the most innovation to build. Cool to see you worked out the rotating wing sections too. Keep em coming, Legostein.

Edited by Blackicep8ntball

Hello everybody,

and thank you very much for the many nice comments! I am glad to provide some sources of inspiration. :classic:

AWESOME 'Legostein' again......man you are good at these little creations eh ? :grin:

The first one reminds me of Landram from the original BSG [...]

Thank you. If you're interested in the Landran, you can find the MINI Battlestar Galactica Thread. :classic:

Hello Christopher, glad to see you back in the SW forum (you've been in the Sci-fi thread lately). Great minis as usual, I like the Skipray the best. As said before, great way to use the chainsaw. But I just noticed, why didn't you made the wings red/orange just like in the ref. pic? Still, it's a great mini as well as the other two. Keep 'em coming! :thumbup:

Hello again and thanks. Actually the reference pic is only one of a dozen. This one is from the West End Games Roleplaying Game. The standard colour of the Skipray is grey. I chose the reference image for the shape, not for the colour. Often the correct shape is being altered in computer games. Hence a drawn original was best even if it does not have the correct colours. :wink:

FINALLY some new models!!

Glad to see you are back to a normal phase with things Legostein.

Third ship Skipray Blastboat [...] reminds me of the Jedi Shuttle T-6 [...]

Thank you! I am also glad to be more around again. :classic:

I don't think that the Skipray is all too similar with the T-6 Shuttle. The T-6 shuttle however IS very similar to another starship: the Diamond-class Cruiser, which can be found in this thread. But maybe it's a good idea to give my Diamond mini model some red colour and a coned cockpit, as I didn't build the T-6 Shuttle yet, I guess. :wink: Thanks for the hint! :classic:

Thanks again for the great discussion and see you around soon!

Christopher

Edited by Legostein

Great stuff as always and an excellent source of inspiration as I'm quite a fan of the Thrawn trilogy! :thumbup:

Great work Legostein, the assault shuttle is my favorite out of the 3. Great to see yo back in the mini making business.

Hello,

and thank you again for the feedback which is highly appreciated and encourages me to continue faster with the project. Maybe we'll reach model No. 200 soon. :classic:

Have a great sunday,

Christopher