sonicstarlight

MOC: Modular Cast Iron Florist

Somehow I missed this over the last week.

Great work! I really love the interior details especially the lawn mower on display!! I like how you really changed up the flower colors, many of them can be hard to find. The building construction itself is done fantastically. I'm really jealous on some of the MOC's I see like this. I would love to have something like this in my collection. Outstanding!!

If you alter the pediment by making it less wide/tall like the example you gave, that will definitely give it a more Italianate type of character (much like the one you posted). I've never seen an Italianate house in white (well, not a stone or cast iron one, anyway), so my concern would be that the color scheme would look odd.

Personally, I'd extend the pediment out more towards the street, making the pediment hang over the cornice by 1/2 or 1 stud, and make it more neo-classical/Greek revival looking.

That way it will continue to be a blend of sorts (i.e., with the thinner, single storey columns making up the front arcade, and things like that), but bring out the Neo-classical features in a more dignified fashion, I think.

It's actually really funny - I am working on a courthouse using the parts from the bank in the Diagon Alley sets, and the photo you posted looks nearly identical to half-built model I have now down to the row of 4 ionic columns. :laugh: I am actually going out of my way to make that build not look too much like the florist, and will do a more squared off pediment and a dome on the roof. I hear your comment about the color - I actually wanted to make this a tan building at first but since my first MOC was tan and the Grand Emporium had just been announced at the time, I thought I should give the color a break.

I took apart the top of the florist and played around with the shape a bit, but I still haven't quite hit the right balance. I did make the pediment extend out another stud and now I have to add more detail underneath it. I'm also planning the swap out all the dark bley elements (window frames, fenders, etc) with white - as dull as the palette is, it really isn't monochromatic enough!

Again, absolutely great comments and I really appreciate them - if I ever finally get something I think is an improvement over the original, I'll post a few photos in this thread.

It's actually really funny - I am working on a courthouse using the parts from the bank in the Diagon Alley sets, and the photo you posted looks nearly identical to half-built model I have now down to the row of 4 ionic columns. :laugh: I am actually going out of my way to make that build not look too much like the florist, and will do a more squared off pediment and a dome on the roof. I hear your comment about the color - I actually wanted to make this a tan building at first but since my first MOC was tan and the Grand Emporium had just been announced at the time, I thought I should give the color a break.

I took apart the top of the florist and played around with the shape a bit, but I still haven't quite hit the right balance. I did make the pediment extend out another stud and now I have to add more detail underneath it. I'm also planning the swap out all the dark bley elements (window frames, fenders, etc) with white - as dull as the palette is, it really isn't monochromatic enough!

Again, absolutely great comments and I really appreciate them - if I ever finally get something I think is an improvement over the original, I'll post a few photos in this thread.

Haha, well, Neo-Classical styles do tend to be a go-to for Courthouses. :p Though, I'm reminded of a courthouse I saw in Georgia once with that was a was redbrick and limestone, with a classical pediment/portico and cornice, and then with Gothic lancet window on the main body (the first floor and entrance were limestone ashlar). Very interesting mix, maybe something like that.

Again, I'm really liking the notion of doing a full-blown neo-classical pediment, and then with the light arches as contrast (if you get what I mean. Very much like some Victorian commercial buildings I know of with very square and boxy cornices, and then row upon row of windows with Gothic columns between them, all seeming very light.

Rood-Building-220-pix.jpg

The impression that the façade gives me is a lot like this building--just swap out the extra parapets and all that above the cornice with the pediment and I think it contrasts and blends very well. I'm sure you've seen buildings like it and probably know what I mean.

Any chance that you will post WIP photos of your HP Bank MOC? As an inexperienced MOCer, I'd love to see the process (and get some insight into builders' techniques).

Haha, well, Neo-Classical styles do tend to be a go-to for Courthouses. :p Though, I'm reminded of a courthouse I saw in Georgia once with that was a was redbrick and limestone, with a classical pediment/portico and cornice, and then with Gothic lancet window on the main body (the first floor and entrance were limestone ashlar). Very interesting mix, maybe something like that.

Again, I'm really liking the notion of doing a full-blown neo-classical pediment, and then with the light arches as contrast (if you get what I mean. Very much like some Victorian commercial buildings I know of with very square and boxy cornices, and then row upon row of windows with Gothic columns between them, all seeming very light.

The impression that the façade gives me is a lot like this building--just swap out the extra parapets and all that above the cornice with the pediment and I think it contrasts and blends very well. I'm sure you've seen buildings like it and probably know what I mean.

You are giving me a lot of ideas and inspiration! I think the facelift will end up being more ambitious than I originally bargained for.

LegoDadRobb: I have never taken any WIP photos, but maybe I could make an exception with my courthouse. My work area is a wreck, and is literally a plank on the floor with bricks everywhere - all my extra bricks live in just 4 shoeboxes normally. Brooklyn real estate is not known for being especially spacious. I'll see if I can't take a few this weekend or something - my first Bricklink order should have arrived by then, too. Unfortunately, my computer completely died on me this morning, so I am currently forced to post from my PS3 (hence my inability to multiquote). It might be a little bit before I am back to 100% and can edit and upload images again.