Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Sultan's Tower MOC

I was tinkering with some bricks today and thought I would try an Egyptian tower. I call this Sultan's Tower. Made with standard yellow and white bricks, Sultan's Tower is hollow with a winding staircase that leads to the top level.

tower1.jpg

A close-up of the top level. The Sultan's look-out stands ready:

towerclose-up.jpg

The Sultan with his royal guards:

sultanclose-up.jpg

Another angle of the tower:

tower3.jpg

Your comments/feedback are welcomed.

Very simple, yet very effective. I like the classic castle elements (I just wish I had them :'-( ) Is it possible to show the spiral staircase? Maybe adding a bit more detail would be nice, but as it stands it seems like something that would be an old Lego set. Also, maybe get a turban from the Orient sets?

I'll start by saying I'm confused as you say you had the intent of designing an Eygptian tower but named it "Sultans Tower". Obviously a Sultan is a ruler of a Muslim nation which Eypt is, but a sultan has greater association with the Ottoman Empire or the romanticized Arbian Knights genre. Usually something Eygptian begs for a distinctly different style than other arabic nations due to its rich history. So before I provide further feedback I'd like to know which style of architecture are you trying to achieve, Egyptian or Persian, and from which period of time?

Edited by mister_phes

Great stuff Brickster! That really has the look of a classic Lego set, it is simple but looks really great! I also like the head you chose for the Sultan, it looks great and also fits perfectly with the headdress.

Jon.

I'll start by saying I'm confused as you say you had the intent of designing an Eygptian tower but named it "Sultans Tower". Obviously a Sultan is a ruler of a Muslim nation which Eypt is, but a sultan has greater association with the Ottoman Empire or the romanticized Arbian Knights genre. Usually something Eygptian begs for a distinctly different style than other arabic nations due to its rich history. So before I provide further feedback I'd like to know which style of architecture are you trying to achieve, Egyptian or Persian, and from which period of time?

The answer will influence the direction I take my feedback you see...

Somewhat of a combination Phes. No historic significance/representation. I didn't intend to provide a story, but rather just build for fun.

The tales of the Arbian Knights springs to life in LEGO form! Its great that you've used simple pieces and made the structure look solid, unlike 7418 Scorpion Palace which looks more like an overgrown gazebo than a palace.

Although I think it could do with some arches as they are are synonymous the islamic building style, particuarly used with doorways (like in the picture below). I realise you were building for fun but you asked for feedback so Im sharing my immediate thoughts which are to give it a hint of the orient to add some cultural distinction. Although if you only had a limited selection of pieces and were building spontaneously that probably wouldn't have been an option. But anyway there ya have it!

arab_door_55.jpg

This website has more great examples of what I refer to.

Bottom line is you've created a MOC in a genre rarely touched by MOC builders and even The LEGO Company, has only come out 7418 Scorpion Palace,so its great to see something different!

Edited by mister_phes

I'm at somewhat of a disadvantage. Most of my sets (including the Scorpion Palace and my Egyptian sets) are burried in boxes in the garage, so I'm building most of these MOCs with pieces from tubs as opposed to sets. I'll put these together and wreck them soon after - but sometimes take a few pictures before destroying.

I don't think this one came out too bad, so I thought I'd share. If I had Scorpion Palace readily at hand, I think I would use the arches and add more detail from some great pieces contained in the set (including the figs, scimitars, and other detailed pieces).

i think it's very nice!

here's the solution for Phes' confusion: after the collapse of the roman empire in egypt, several other Middle Eastern factions took over the rule of Egypt, i don't know if he was called Sultan or Kalif or whatever, but they did try to use the classic Egyptian buildings to their own image/advantage. So sure, i can see a muslim leader in a classic Egyptian tower. Besides, in Egypt, there are no different time frames, really, u just take whatever brick you can find to build your new house, even if that's a part of a pyramid

Nice building, and the flag is also nice since its no real symbol! I would prefer having beardy faces for a sultan's guard, and I do think the pharoah-fashion was outdated when sultans came to power. ;-)

And Phes, whats "arabian knights", or you meaning "Arabian nights", also known as "A thousand and one night"? There is no such thing as an "arabian knight".

I don't think this one came out too bad, so I thought I'd share. If I had Scorpion Palace readily at hand, I think I would use the arches and add more detail from some great pieces contained in the set (including the figs, scimitars, and other detailed pieces).

Definitely nothing wrong with it, it reminds me of the LEGO sets from the 70's minus the palm the tree.

here's the solution for Phes' confusion: after the collapse of the roman empire in egypt, several other Middle Eastern factions took over the rule of Egypt, i don't know if he was called Sultan or Kalif or whatever, but they did try to use the classic Egyptian buildings to their own image/advantage. So sure, i can see a muslim leader in a classic Egyptian tower. Besides, in Egypt, there are no different time frames, really, u just take whatever brick you can find to build your new house, even if that's a part of a pyramid

That must be what happened! The Brickster's MOC has so much historic depth!

And Phes, whats "arabian knights", or you meaning "Arabian nights", also known as "A thousand and one night"? There is no such thing as an "arabian knight".

Arbain Knights is the "most honored dinner show in the world" and here is their official webiste. But yes The Hordesman you are correct, I did mean Arabian Nights and the mistake arose due to posting half asleep at 3AM in the morning.... But you are wrong when you say there is no such thing as an "arabian knight" because Google.com will tell you otherwise :biggrin:

Great work for all basic bricks. The early knights work well with the colours you chose.

God Bless,

Nathan

Hey, The Brickster, you could remove the Egyptian mini-figures, throw in some Adventurers mini-figures and the Model-T and see how it looks rather than building additional Adventurer sets! Unless you really want to build that is, then go for!

I already wrecked this. To be honest, I didn't really like it. It was too 70s'ish. The Curse of the Mummy (tomb) came out much better adding the Egyptian pieces for detail.

Ah yes, you did mention something about this MOC being demolished earlier - that information must have slipped my mind!

By the way, The Brickster your avatar is really nice and captures the Egyptian essence really well! What did you use to design the background or is it a found image?

Thanks. Existing image. Do you create your own. I like your backgrounds because they're always bright and colorful.

Yes, I create mine in a program called Bryce 3D which is a terrain generator. I try to make the backgrounds bright and vibrant as possible but the LEGO itself isn't always capture well as an image. But that's because I've only got a 4 Megapixel within a video camera, so its resolution is not as good as that of a dedicated still image camera.

Going back in time just slightly... What inspired you to make the Sultan's Tower? Not long ago you were The Brickster, meanest MOCer in the West and now you've turned into an archeaologist, so I'm curious what has inspired you to take this direction.

I really like the inset of the yellow bricks. That is one of my favorite building techniques and you did it excellently. The banner adds quit a bit and your sultan has just enough personality to his face to really sell the whole idea.

MOC on!

Ah yes... I almost forgot... The banner!

How did you create that Brickster? Is it just paper or another material? Did you make the design yourself or did you find it somewhere?

Ill say the same thing that seems to come to mind to about everyone..Very simple, very effective. Beautiful clean build Good job.

This is amazing! Very simple, but I like. It makes me really, really, REALLY wish lego would do a "Desert Knights" theme in the vein of classic castle... maybe I should try to do that... make some 'Desert Knight' MOC's... ohh... but Castle stuff costs so much and I don't have enough to make it... but I could try... I just dont want to haul out all my lego again... my room is so clean X-D

I'd give your MOC a 9/10... I would love to see a whole theme like this - classic castle with Egyptian/Middle-eastern influence... would be aweeesome.

Going back in time just slightly... What inspired you to make the Sultan's Tower? Not long ago you were The Brickster, meanest MOCer in the West and now you've turned into an archeaologist, so I'm curious what has inspired you to take this direction.

I have a few favorite themes in no particular order: Castle (one of 1st favorite themes going back to the yellow castle from the 70s), Train (remember Murder on the Lego Express?), City (because you can't have a train without a town), Pirates (although I have just a few sets), Western (one of my all-time favorites for it's uniqueness and link to trains), and last but not least Adventure (I have every Orient Expedition set and a number of Jungle, Desert, and Dino Island sets. I like all things mysterious and Adventure, esp. Desert, has that mystique (Curse of the Mummy, Riddle of the Sphinx, etc.)) - but don't be think'n I'm nice or anything! I still think Western aint no darn gone castles and pirates! >:-(

Not sure what inspired me to do a tower, but at the time, I wanted to do a pyramid, but do not have enough yellow bricks. I thought I'd try a tower instead. In all honesty, I hate the classic castle figs with this MOC and just grabbed them because I had them readily available. It also lacked detail. The Curse of the Mummy MOC, however, at leat I think, came out 100 times better. And I put a lot more time into it. Curse of the Mummy

Ah yes... I almost forgot... The banner!

How did you create that Brickster? Is it just paper or another material? Did you make the design yourself or did you find it somewhere?

Just regular paper. I made the design myself in Power Point. Just something quick to add some detail.

Thanks for the compliments fellows, but I wasn't really happy with this MOC. Check out the Curse of the Mummy for a much better MOC (at least I think).