Sign in to follow this  
Superkalle

Too large signatures annoying

Well I just edited my sig size to a more reasonable size after reading this topic (Ideleted the thing about awesomebrick brand breakfast cereal :tongue: )

and added a nice sloganizer thingy :classic:

Huge rant following, please just skip if you're easily offended!

*Rant snipped*

End rant! :wink:

I think that is completely unfair. If people want to show off mocs and reviews, they should be allowed to. I am really interested to see what people have reviewed, and it is an easy way to just click on a trusted reviewers review, and learn good reviewing techniques.

I also think that you should be able to have a banner displaying something you like or believe in. As long as it isn't ridiculoous. It's so petty having rants about oversized signatures. I'm sorry, that's just my view.

I admit, mine is to big. Therefore I'll scale it down.

Edit: Done, tell me if its still a little too big.

Edited by Ratshot

@the crazy one - but if people have those massive signature, many of us have to turn them off to follow the thread discussion. That's the problem. And then we miss exactly what you're pointing out - intetersing and good links/pics in the more modest signatures.

Edited by superkalle

I too get annoyed by large sigs. Sometimes it's because of large pictures, but often it's because of set wish lists. What's the deal with those? Why do people want to have a list of all the sets they want to show up after every single post they make? :sceptic: It serves no other purpose than clutter up the forum. Therefore, I propose an anti-wish-list policy. Anybody agree?

I'm surprised your complaining, your sig is huge, it shows up at two rows of images on my laptop.

I think the staff should revise the rules if they wish to a reasonable new standard.

OK, now that is ridiculous.

I like my big fat sig and how it takes up so much space, please don't make me give it up default_cry4.gif

Um, I'm picking up your sarcasm.

I think signatures should be compact height wise, and lenght depends on the board.

I don't mind large signatures. I myself just don't use any images.

I also agree with a height restriction of 120 pixels. When I was very active on a Dutch game forum I used to have a nice signature. Now, when you get older, those signatures look stupid and seem very redundant. However, on Eurobricks they are very useful! To check out reviews made by users or their own creations, perhaps their websites or some links, it's very useful. But I don't need to see more than that in a signature.

I think my own signature is well made, a few links to my LEGO related stuff and four thumbnails (100 pixels high) of my creations directing you to their topics. I was thinking of adding up to 6 thumbnails, but that wouldn't look so good for smaller resolutions/non-widescreen I guess.

I think Siegfrieds signature is the maxium size. Anything over that is to large.

Yes, I think that should be around the upper limit. There are a couple of people in this thread alone whose signatures are too large, especially in terms of the vertical height.

I trimmed down the images in my own signature yesterday. They used to be the standard Brickshelf 128x96 thumbnails, but after the forum upgrade even those were looking a little too centered and prominent for my liking. :tongue:

Edited by CP5670

One of the cool things about this new board is that we can enforce sizes automatically. It's not a complete solution, but it'll help.

I'm implementing this now...

Although I personally like my own signature, I can see why people would might find it too large. I like to advertise all my reviews, and the list keeps on getting larger. Does anyone have a problem with my signature? Is several lines of text and one of images a problem?

To all the signature haters, don't forget you can choose not to display ANY signatures at all into your 'My Settings' profile :wink: .

Go to: Forums

View/Posting/Email Prefs

Board Display Settings

You can also choose not to view Avatars or even images in general.

This will speeden up your surfing on EB considerably btw, although it may reduce the 'experience'.

Personally I disabled the signatures, and count on other members to report them (I can see them in member's profiles anyway) or on the other mods to pick them up (and on the autosig feature from now on too).

Personally I disabled the signatures, and count on other members to report them (I can see them in member's profiles anyway) or on the other mods to pick them up (and on the autosig feature from now on too).

... your signature isn't small. :devil:

... your signature isn't small. :devil:

Ooh, that was soo below the belt :tongue:

But I guess I should give the good example, so I removed the 'cheap China plastic' one, that campaign is long over anyway :classic: .

Ooh, that was soo below the belt :tongue:

But I guess I should give the good example, so I removed the 'cheap China plastic' one, that campaign is long over anyway :classic: .

:laugh: I've actually been considering asking Holodoc to remove that image from his profile as I'm sick of seeing it.

(Now I'm the one with the big sig! :blush: )

Although I personally like my own signature, I can see why people would might find it too large. I like to advertise all my reviews, and the list keeps on getting larger. Does anyone have a problem with my signature? Is several lines of text and one of images a problem?

It's OK considering what you are linking to. :sweet:

I think yours is fine. It's all stuff that you have made (MOCs and reviews) and is cleanly organized. I mainly don't like the ones that take up a lot of vertical space or have very big images, especially if they're unrelated to Lego.

To all the signature haters, don't forget you can choose not to display ANY signatures at all into your 'My Settings' profile.

I know they can be turned off, but most people do use them intelligently. I often discover some great MOCs through the signatures of the builders, so I prefer to keep them enabled.

One of the cool things about this new board is that we can enforce sizes automatically. It's not a complete solution, but it'll help.

I'm implementing this now...

That sounds handy. Does it consider text and images? How does it work: does it resize stuff or does it just not let you put in a sig that's over the size limit?

That sounds handy. Does it consider text and images? How does it work: does it resize stuff or does it just not let you put in a sig that's over the size limit?

It covers text lines, image size, image number and link number. It doesn't let you save incompatible signatures... but I haven't fully tested it yet. :laugh: