Zerobricks

[KEY TOPIC] LDD 3 bugs and brick errors

@ Jan and Zblj

Both issue have been reported to Lego. Well spotted!!

(but I'm a bit unsure about the grid on the large plate. Has anyone seen that technique used in a set?)

@ Jan and Zblj

Both issue have been reported to Lego. Well spotted!!

(but I'm a bit unsure about the grid on the large plate. Has anyone seen that technique used in a set?)

Yes. Several sets use that technique, and in fact, the set 8964 Titanium Command Rig uses an even more obscure technique-- attaching parts to that plate upside-down with studs affixed to the upper side of the grid. I've had trouble with building various Power Miners sets because of these hindrances.

I seem to recall similar parts having that type of connection being parts of sets, though don't pressure me for which. also if you look, that grid appears to be able to connect by design. they purposely made a grid that would allow studs to fit through those holes.. they could have easily not done so.

Edited by Randal

The grid problem popped up while building the eiffeltower set, also a relatively new set.

And as mentioned, I cannot see that this is brick-stress related.

Edited by Jan

this part doesn't allow snapping of bricks from the underside, besides the edges and the four studs in the center

Kind of difficult to explain, but I hope you understand.

Can you explain using LDD images?

Often, even if LDD don't support some type of connection, it is possible to assembly pieces using some tricks!

So... I'd like to try to solve the problem.

Another problem i came across. The turntable doesnt allow you to add flat pieces under it, or to rotate them to parallel. This makes it impossible for me to attach a beam under it...

turntable_bug.jpg

Regarding the 8x8 grid plate, I just bought the TS3 garbage compactor escape, (not a TS fan but it has a lot of nice parts), and it attaches several 8x8 grid plates atop the 2x2 truss like columns. Granted 3 of the 4 studs on the column are connected to the under side of studs on the grid plate but one is connected to a whole in the grid. Just thought Id point it out.

Sal

WFB, WI

Thanks for info on the big plate with lattice.

Has anyone seen if this part (3633) has been used in any recent set with studs attached to the lattice?

3633.png

In real life you can place bricks like (4073) on top of (6254) 6254.jpg

and rotate them - this is not poseble in LDD or in LU mode...

See :

99644527.jpg

82878781.jpg

Real life :

81273357.jpg

:pir_bawling:

See :

99644527.jpg

82878781.jpg

Real life :

81273357.jpg

:pir_bawling:

Might not be a legal connection, and even if it is it's almost certainly not an intended one. It's brilliant for MOCs, but I've never seen it used in an official set, so obviously the LDD programmers didn't think of it when deciding its legal connection points.

I'm about three-fourths done with a LDD version of 8214 Lamborghini Polizia, but a section of the front won't attach on! I've tried moving the hinges ever so slightly, but they won't fit without removing some other parts. Can anyone help?

The instruction page:

8214_polizia_help-instructions_small.jpg

The LDD model (click to download the model):

8214_polizia_help-screenshot.jpg

The blue outlined part is where I need the unattached piece to go onto.

If someone can fix it, please post a file of it on here so I can finish the model.

Thanks!

If someone can fix it, please post a file of it on here so I can finish the model.

A very intresting problem. At first I thought it was a LDD brick boundary bug, that the 1x4 bracket wouldn't go into the cavity on the underside of the 2x2 tile. But then I pulled out my trusty old yellow Gallardo and re-built the front to match the new blue one, and yes the angled 2x2 tiles seemingly fit (but very, very tight). But still it's not possible to do in LDD. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions here, but can we possibly have an illegal building technique by TLG themselves at our hands (i.e. they have squeezed in the 2x2 tile in a spot that crams the other bricks)? Or is it a plain old LDD brick problem? What do you guys think?

PS: Designers at Lego uses the paper test to see if a techniqe is legal or not. If you cannot slip a piece of paper in the gap between two adjecent bricks, then the fit is too tight. And I for one can't fit a paper between the angled 2x2 tile and the 2x3 wedge plate!

No amount of fiddling seems to let that work. It's exceptionally close, could be a LDD issue or could be the use of rather naughty building be TLG. I wouldn't like to say, though I'm also erring slightly on the side of an illegal building technique.

Fixed! :wink:

We expect to see the set, when complete, on the "Official set made in LDD" thread! :classic:

Can you upload the lxf file, and i will see what i can do.

You have to click on the image (the LDD screenshot).

PS: there is a strange thing I was noticed.

I mounted the piece with legal connections (no tricks, this time :tongue:), but at the end... it results illegally connected (tested with connected selection tool).

Any idea about this?

Edited by Calabar

PS: there is a strange thing I was noticed.

I mounted the piece with legal connections (no tricks, this time :tongue:), but at the end... it results illegally connected (tested with connected selection tool).

Any idea about this?

If you look at it closely, it's not actually clipped onto the black 2x2 plate, it's sitting just on top of the studs. Probably as close as you'll ever get LDD to allow you to put it though.

If you look at it closely, it's not actually clipped onto the black 2x2 plate, it's sitting just on top of the studs. Probably as close as you'll ever get LDD to allow you to put it though.

And that's the strange thing, because i placed bricks one by one "legally".

But at a certain moment, LDD should have raised these bricks moving thet from their base.

Here is the best approximation I canned do.

I had to replace pates 2x3 in order to create the space to place the front.

Edited by Calabar

And that's the strange thing, because i placed bricks one by one "legally".

But at a certain moment, LDD should have raised these bricks moving thet from their base.

Calabar, in your LDD file the black 1x4 bracket is not placed in it's correct place. That is what AndyC is trying to say (right, AndyC?). It should be placed 1 stud more in towards the car, that's why it's not connected. Or is that what you mean by "best approximation"?

So as far as I understand, this is still unsolved, right?

If it is indeed an illegal building by LEGO, then this is quite some news gentlemen!

Calabar, in your LDD file the black 1x4 bracket is not placed in it's correct place. That is what AndyC is trying to say (right, AndyC?). It should be placed 1 stud more in towards the car, that's why it's not connected. Or is that what you mean by "best approximation"?

So as far as I understand, this is still unsolved, right?

If it is indeed an illegal building by LEGO, then this is quite some news gentlemen!

"best approximations" was referred to the second file, where I placed the front in the correct place, but scarifying the two 3x2 plates.

I think it is not possible to solve the issue: perhaps some piece is too thick, perhaps inclination of the tile is wrong due to an error in the clip.

The only way to hook the piece is to make a little modify to the project.

The Imperial Flagship does that, having just built my second! So I think that one is definitely a bug.

A few more connection bugs I've spotted:

1) You can't place a 2x2 round plate on top of a barrel 2x2x2 (this one), which is normally how lids are done.

2) The palm tree leaves won't connect to the top of a palm tree top (this part) which makes buildable palm trees tricky.

3) You can't seem to clip one of these round 4x4 plates to one of these turntable bases. Am I doing something wrong, or is that another glitch?

The Imperial Flagship does that, having just built my second! So I think that one is definitely a bug.

A few more connection bugs I've spotted:

1) You can't place a 2x2 round plate on top of a barrel 2x2x2 (this one), which is normally how lids are done.

2) The palm tree leaves won't connect to the top of a palm tree top (this part) which makes buildable palm trees tricky.

3) You can't seem to clip one of these round 4x4 plates to one of these turntable bases. Am I doing something wrong, or is that another glitch?

Great finds Andy. Concider them all reported to Lego (but I'm not sure what you mean by 2) Which palm tree leaves do you mean?

And while we're at it, here's a message from PA in the LDD team who is sitting with Maya everyday preparing all the brick geometries that go into LDD: "Thank you all for helping us find problems with the bricks. We really appreciate it!"

I'm about three-fourths done with a LDD version of 8214 Lamborghini Polizia, but a section of the front won't attach on! I've tried moving the hinges ever so slightly, but they won't fit without removing some other parts. Can anyone help?

The instruction page:

The LDD model (click to download the model):

The blue outlined part is where I need the unattached piece to go onto.

Thanks!

I was able to get this to work. The parts I replaced and the parts I replaced them with are red. I don't think the changes I made affect the look of the model. Basically I removed one plate stud from underneath the 2x3 wing plate on either side. I also cheated a little by making the wing plates off target a little and on through to the side studs which needed to be done to allow for the attachment of the front side panels. (This shouldn't be possible, but it is. It's a collision detection bug.)

LXF File

8214fix.png

Edited by Randal

Cheers Superkalle, I certainly don't envy those poor developers trying to model all these bricks!

The problem, having looked closer, is that the large palm tree leaves don't have holes all the way through the studs the way they should (the smaller ones do). A picture paints a thousand words and all that, so....

ldd_palm_leaf_bug.png

And another one I'd forgotten till uploading some models I did earlier. You can put something inside a jumper plate stud, or around it but not both at the same time. Again this is probably easier to explain with a picture.

ldd_hollow_stud_bug.png

No amount of fiddling will allow you to put both the hammer and cape in that picture on one jumper plate. I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be an illegal combination. I noticed it doing 6665 River Runners, if you want an official example.

Cheers Superkalle, I certainly don't envy those poor developers trying to model all these bricks!

And another one I'd forgotten till uploading some models I did earlier. You can put something inside a jumper plate stud, or around it but not both at the same time.

Thanks for clearifying the leafs.

And about putting two elements at the same, there is an archictural problem in LDD that has to do with instantiation of bricks with dual connectivity. I have posted a more thorough explanation about it here at the forum some time ago, but I can't find the post right now, sorry :classic:

I found an issue similar to the leaf one found by AndyC

I was assembling set 6886, Galactic Peace Keeeper, with LDD, and I found many problems (So that I will not post it on the "Official Set Made in LDD" topic).

On of these issues was related to the Bar 4873: studs are not opened so that i couldn't insert the antennas (3957) inside in order to assembly the red laser jail.