the_green_avenger

HMS Beagle

Wow! It is going along very smoothly. You put some good techinques into it and I love the Darwin and Fitzroy figures.

Thanks!

There isn't exactly much 'technique' to it (as in building the hull), other than making a few (as in a lot of) measurements, and fitting a nice curved shape around those measurements. As well, I too really like the Darwin and Fitzroy figs, as they are the first custom minifigs made entirely by me.

:pir_yoda:

P.S. Like the new avatar!

looking pretty nice so far.

Thanks!

Edited by the_green_avenger

Yoe done great job whit that hull the_green_avenger, im waiting fo the next updage. Great job, keep it up mate!

Captain Becker

I congratulate you with such a daring project!

In what scale are you building exactly? It seems a bit small to be exact minifig scale which would be about 1:39.

The way you are building the hull is good, I like the way you made the keel.

However your stern is running up a bit fast, instead of flowing upwards and in the middle your hull seems a bit like a V shape, though it should be rounded.

In the picture below you can see what I mean:

boord.jpg

Good luck on it! :thumbup:

I congratulate you with such a daring project!

In what scale are you building exactly? It seems a bit small to be exact minifig scale which would be about 1:39.

The way you are building the hull is good, I like the way you made the keel.

However your stern is running up a bit fast, instead of flowing upwards and in the middle your hull seems a bit like a V shape, though it should be rounded.

In the picture below you can see what I mean:

Good luck on it! :thumbup:

1. Thanks! So far there's been few problems, other than getting a nice shape on the hull...

2. I'm building as close as possible to a 1:40 scale, and I've done plenty of measurements to make surethat it is minifig scale. Keep in mind that the HMS Beagle itself is 90 feet from stern to bow across the deck.

3. Thanks! I'm sure you'd agree that Brick built hulls are HARD!

4. I'm glad you pointed that out. It should be SLIGHTLY more rounded, but I find it very difficult to get the shape just right, esspecially since I don't have a billion jumperplates... I've based nearly everything off my book, Anatomy Of the Ship HMS Beagle Here is a sketch from it:

sketch3.gif

As you can see, it is rather V shaped, but not quite like the way I built it, so I guess I'll be starting in on v5 of the hull pretty soon.

Again, thanks for pointing that out. I wish you luck with your ship as well!

Edit: Here is a sketch of more sections of the ship:

sketch4.gif

The sketch on the right is about from the middle of the hull, and it has a rather 'V'ish shape to it. However, the shape is right in between a one and two plate incline, making it rather hard to get the shape quite right. What I think I might do is convert these cross section sketches into bricks, then 'Meld' them together to give me an accurate shape.

A very nice hull already! Very nice job. :pir-sweet:

CGH is right though, it is quite V shaped, although the pictures show it is indeed a bit more V then U shaped.

I have rebuild my brickbuilt hull over and over, and Captain Greenhair did the same I think. I guess you should keep trying to get the perfect shape.

Where did you get these scetches? Are there more of them from different ship types?

You are doing a great job there mate, keep it up!

Yeah the hull is hard to make, I rebuild my aft section just about 50 times....

It is good that you got the anatomy of a ship book, that is an excellent reference! :thumbup:

Wow, its coming along beautiful mate! I love how well its turning out, can't wait for more :thumbup:

CGH is right though, it is quite V shaped, although the pictures show it is indeed a bit more V then U shaped.

I have rebuild my brickbuilt hull over and over, and Captain Greenhair did the same I think. I guess you should keep trying to get the perfect shape.

Where did you get these scetches? Are there more of them from different ship types?

Yeah... well no one said this would be an easy project! :pir-tongue:

The sketches are from the book Anatomy of the Ship HMS Beagle. Look up 'Anatomy of the Ship' on Google, there are other titles like HMS Victory, USS Constitution, HMS Pandora, HMS Endeavour, Lawhill, USS Essex, HMS Diana, HMS Bounty, HMS Blandford, and HMS Bellona. As well there are books in the series on Aircraft Carriers, Battleships, Destroyers etc.

If you were looking for a ship like the forageux, minus the stern it looks a lot like the Soleil Royale. Unfortunately none of the books in the series are much like the forageux, so sorry if that's why you wondering.

I also made the steering wheel wich work`s, i just made it a bit different way han you and must say at it isnt very good, but im happy whit it :pir-classic:

e l

Captain Becker

Hi the_green_avenger,

this is comming along nicely! I've also had to rebuild my stern about 50 times to get the shape right. :pir_laugh2:

The stern is a difficult shape, because you have a concave and convex line flowing in more than one direction, and Lego is not the ideal material for that kind of shape.

I also agree with CGH comments about the shape of the main body/hull.

You might want to contemplate using a different angle for the bottom and than turn upwards more rounded.

Given the plans you showed, I think the best angle to start with from the center of the ship, is probably one done with jumpers.

Good luck on this creation and kind regards,

Teddy

I also agree with CGH comments about the shape of the main body/hull.

You might want to contemplate using a different angle for the bottom and than turn upwards more rounded.

Given the plans you showed, I think the best angle to start with from the center of the ship, is probably one done with jumpers.

Thanks...

I can see what your talking about with the angle, and I would agree that it would work better if I used jumperplates.

(I think I said this earlier) I'm gonna try and use all the different cross section sketches of the ship, convert those to bricks, which'll give me a rough version of the ship, then I'll 'meld' those cross sections together to give me the correct shape.

I'm gonna try and use all the different cross section sketches of the ship, convert those to bricks, which'll give me a rough version of the ship, then I'll 'meld' those cross sections together to give me the correct shape.

I was very tedious in the process of making all these cross sections as accurate as possible, though I had to make a couple changes to give it a better angle laterally. But it is still at least 95% accurate, including the spacing. (I used a different camera for these pics, so sorry if they're too blurry)

pict0004.gif

pict0005.gif

The biggest noticeable difference between the old hull and the new 'hull' is the width. The old hull's orlop deck is 16 studs at it's widest, while the cross-sections' orlop deck is 20 studs at its widest. As well, it is 3 studs longer, and 4 plates 'taller'.

pict0007.gif

Comments welcome!

At me ths perfect hull, now you just needt to finish the rest fo the ship :pir-wink: Good luck for it, im waiting for the next updages

Captain Becker

Nice ship there green_avenger! Although it is a little too small for minifig scale.

For the millionth time!!!!! It is minifig scale!!!! (accually it's slightly larger than minifig scale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

For the millionth time!!!!! It is minifig scale!!!! (accually it's slightly larger than minifig scale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Sorry, I just thought it looked a little small! I really Did'nt mean any offense...

Sorry, I just thought it looked a little small! I really Did'nt mean any offense...

I didn't think you did mean any offence.

The Beagle is smaller than all the other minifig scale ships going around these forums, so it's acceptable to think it's not, though I've done at least a hundred measurements in order to make sure that it is minifig scale.

I didn't think you did mean any offence.

The Beagle is smaller than all the other minifig scale ships going around these forums, so it's acceptable to think it's not, though I've done at least a hundred measurements in order to make sure that it is minifig scale.

100 measuements!? Wow! Must have taken some time...

Nice job! It really is turning out great! :pir-classic: I can`t wait until the next updates!

-

General Redwater.

Edited by General Redwater

100 measuements!? Wow! Must have taken some time...

Well, I had to make sure everything was accurate, and made measurements for pretty much every other brick in the cross sections.

Just out of interest, as a minifig is totally out of proportion in comparison to a human, what part of the minifig did you use to aquire the scale? Foot size? Height? Width?

I agree with Captain Zuloo: It would be great to see what you base your countless measurements on.

I know the HMS Beagle was a fairly small ship measurnig less than 30 metres, however i still get the impression that you are building too small for actuall minifig scale.

If you use the most common scale 1stud=1 foot making your minifgs about 170cms high (decently realistic for that time) your deck should be 90 studs long which i think it isn't.

It's quite nice what you built so far. I just think it's too small...

I know there have been many posts regarding scale. I just can't belive all those people have been wrong and even if they were, sharing your measurements would help a lot :pir-wink:

-Perfectionist

Just out of interest, as a minifig is totally out of proportion in comparison to a human, what part of the minifig did you use to aquire the scale? Foot size? Height? Width?

Height

I agree with Captain Zuloo: It would be great to see what you base your countless measurements on.

I know the HMS Beagle was a fairly small ship measurnig less than 30 metres, however i still get the impression that you are building too small for actuall minifig scale.

If you use the most common scale 1stud=1 foot making your minifgs about 170cms high (decently realistic for that time) your deck should be 90 studs long which i think it isn't.

It's quite nice what you built so far. I just think it's too small...

I know there have been many posts regarding scale. I just can't belive all those people have been wrong and even if they were, sharing your measurements would help a lot :pir-wink:

-Perfectionist

I don't know how many times I've said it, but IT IS minifig scale...

at the moment the hull is 86 studs long. the deck will be about 4-6 studs longer, making it almost exactly 1:1...

P.S. If anyone wanted to know how progress has been, well, it's been slow... currently I'm working on v9 of the hull. I'm not sure when the hull will be done exactly since I'm really busy until June, but I REALLY want to be done by october 2nd, so I can take it to BrickCon, the local LEGO expo. Aside from working on the hull, I've been skrewing with the rigging, which is going to be the halmark of the ship once it is finished. Tomorrow I MIGHT post an example of it, maybe do a tutorial once I get around to doing it on the accual ship...

P.P.S. I've also been debating on what cannon design to use, though I think I'll go with Teddy's...

P.P.P.S. Zuloo, you might be right about the cost being more than $50... I don't want my budgeting to deminish the overall quality... same with time restraints...