the_green_avenger

HMS Beagle

I've been wanting to make a replica of something ever since I'd seen Teddy's HMS Victory, and so had a "poll" of what replica I should do. The unanimous winner: HMS Beagle.

Updates:

3/7/10: Minifig Comparitive shots, as well as a few minor tweaks (Post #11, Page 1)

3/7/10: Messin' around with the masts (Post #29, Page 2)

3/11/10: Small hull update, as well as a crew now aquainted (Post #31, Page 3)

3/14/10: Custom Darwin and Fitzroy minifigs, steering mechanism prototype (Post #35, Page 3)

3/24/10: BIG hull update, random fig shots (Post #43, Page 3)

4/11/10: Cross section, w/ comparisons (Post #62, Page 5)

Some of you might've already seen my topic where I had a few questions that needed answering, and noticed what they were for... (some questions still need answering, you can do so HERE)

In one of the most famous paintings of the ship, the hull is white (as well as with a model kit I have), but in many models I see, its copper plated (In one the hull is even black). Since I barely had enough brown pieces for the HMS circumstance, white was the obvious choice.

A sketch, which my ship will soon look like:

sketch1.gif

The ship, with all my random junk on it:

img_4456.gif

And without all the random junk:

img_4457.gif

Here is a general size comparison: (originally I thought it would only be a few studs longer than the circumstance... I was wrong...)

img_4458.gif

I'm low on 1x2, 2x2, and 2x6 plates, so I bought about 250 pieces from Pick A Brick (Bricklink's getting my orders messed up too much) Which means there won't be any updates for the next 12-15 days, unless I decide to work on one of the SEVEN dingies that accompany the ship...

C&C is welcome. Post anykind of criticism you wan't, as long as it's constructive. Your feedback really helps!

:pir_yoda:

Edited by the_green_avenger

It looks to be comming along very well, and I can't wait to see it completed, nor eal critique for me as of yet, A: because I don't know brick built hulls, B: I don't knwo the orignal, and C: not enough of it is done for me to judge :pir_laugh2: So be sure to add more updates, can't wait to see them :pir-grin:

Looks nice, but not big enough to make it minifig scale. Is it intended to be minifig scale?

Yes, And I've done TONS of measurements to make sure its as close to 1:40 as possible.

Yes, And I've done TONS of measurements to make sure its as close to 1:40 as possible.

Now what is the number of studs across on the top deck then ?

It's good in W.I.P. mode at the moment, but I agree with 'Captain Zuloo' is it really for minifigs ?

Keep going 'the_green_avenger' and I'm a conformist! ! :pir-classic:

i agree with the posts above. it looks too small for minifig scale. i thought that the HMS Beagle was quite a large ship...

It seems a bit small for minfig scale indeed.. I think it should be at least twice as big.

I think this is also rather small for 7 dingy's, I don't know if that will fit.

And have you placed the masts on the right places here? I believe that the spaces between the masts should not be of the same length.

Please see this as constructive criticism :pir-classic: Good luck with your ship!

Looks good so far. :pir-classic:

Could you please resize that first picture to 800 x 600? It's too large at the moment. Thanks!

Now what is the number of studs across on the top deck then ?

It's good in W.I.P. mode at the moment, but I agree with 'Captain Zuloo' is it really for minifigs ?

Keep going 'the_green_avenger' and I'm a conformist! ! :pir-classic:

I have increased the length by 3 studs (the ship is 90 feet from poop deck to forecastle, converted out to a little over 80 studs) as well as increased the height by one brick to make it more minifig suitable.

Looks good so far. :pir-classic:

Could you please resize that first picture to 800 x 600? It's too large at the moment. Thanks!

Done!

It seems a bit small for minfig scale indeed.. I think it should be at least twice as big.

I think this is also rather small for 7 dingy's, I don't know if that will fit.

And have you placed the masts on the right places here? I believe that the spaces between the masts should not be of the same length.

Please see this as constructive criticism :pir-classic: Good luck with your ship!

I've moved the mizzenmast forward two studs, and the foremast back one. I'm trying to go by the drawings as close as possible, so the masts are about where they should be...

Here is the ship with a reference of how high the deck is, before I tweaked the mast positions: (Yes that is archduke Charles on the right)

img_4459.gif

And here it is with both decks, after I tweaked the mast positions:

img_4460.gif

Hope that helps!

It looks great.........but is it minifig scale? I mean it looks pretty small, and even smaller in comparisn to the other ship.

this is just constructive criticism

I think it is great overall ! :pir_laugh2::pir-laugh:

Edit- I see the minifig scale photos now :) But I still think it is small........still great looking ship! :)

Edited by General Redwater

It looks great.........but is it minifig scale? I mean it looks pretty small, and even smaller in comparisn to the other ship.

this is just constructive criticism

I think it is great overall ! :pir_laugh2::pir-laugh:

Looks like you posted right when I did! :pir-tongue:

Looks like you posted right when I did! :pir-tongue:

Yea, I did :pir_wacko::pir-laugh:

Just wondering, does pick a brick really take two weeks to come in?

That is very similar to the model I have, but no, its not the one I'm building. I'm building it more from THIS Model.

Why are you building a brown ship with white? :pir-sceptic:

Why are you building a brown ship with white? :pir-sceptic:

In a painting by the ship's artist, the hull is white. Also, I have very few brown pieces, and would like to keep the ship under $50

In a painting by the ship's artist, the hull is white. Also, I have very few brown pieces, and would like to keep the ship under $50

Oh, now I understand, Thanks :pir-laugh:

I just checked pick a brick out even more and it seems VERY expensive. I think you should really buy off bricklink. It has some really good deals there :pir-laugh:

Oh, now I understand, Thanks :pir-laugh:

I just checked pick a brick out even more and it seems VERY expensive. I think you should really buy off bricklink

I find it easier and more reliable when buying off S@H. It was $16 (without shipping and tax) for 250 pieces, which is maybe 2,3 dollars more than bricklink.

Plus BL got my order of six 1x2x4 750 inveted sloped pieces skrewed up horribly :pir-hmpf_bad:

Edited by the_green_avenger

I find it easier and more reliable when buying off S@H. It was $16 (without shipping and tax) for 250 pieces, which is maybe 2,3 dollars more than bricklink.

Plus BL got my order of six 1x2x4 750 inveted sloped pieces skrewed up horribly :pir-hmpf_bad:

Bricklink can do that........ :angry:

Using Bricklink, it is unavoidable to win 100% everytime, but I think you should give it another chance, the vast majority of sellers are honest people.

After seeing that model though, perhaps it could be minifig scale as what your have so far is only the very bottom section. I look forward to seeing the final product.

But if you seriously expect to get this done under $50, you're in for a rude shock...