banditloon

LAYOUT: New train Set-Up

traintech1.jpg

My last attempt at building a railway around a town must of been back in about 1982. With no room at home to have a permanent display on show, I have decided to move up from the 'room behind the garage' plan to the space under my mezzanine office at work plan. At the moment the space is filled up with a Suzuki Bandit in pieces, an old dining room table, a couple of clothes rails and some filing cabinets as well as a weight bench and stationery for work.

Step one, clean the table off as this is going to be a temporary home for the train display. I had found my old road baseplates in my garage, but the old ones have become discoloured and bent. Time to replace them with some of the new dark grey things then.

IMG_0004-3.jpg

"so what is this bloke doing then? Where is everybody and every thing? And why aren't you driving the bus?"

IMG_0016-1.jpg

"DON'T JUMP, THE PIZZA ARE NOT THAT BAD!!"

"But the train isn't here yet!"

IMG_0017-1.jpg

Simple oval laid out, small town scene in the middle. As the saying goes, "I need a bigger table!"

For those lazy minifigs there are two platforms, if they do not want to chance the bus (or walking, loads of police on the street(s))

IMG_0029.jpg

Got to have a place for the bikers of Legoland to meet. Drumsticks all round then :grin:

I've found some old, but nice looking packing case boards in the corner of the warehouse (2m by 4m), so I can see these being used when I get a quiet moment to sort through my plastic stacking boxes of bricks. Hopefully the local TrU will get some more road baseplates in soon, so I can start filling the middle section of the table up. I have another full oval of 12v track in one of the boxes but only the 7745 train at the moment. Police and petrol station to build this week (as well as some proper work to do as well).

I know it's small at the moment, but my main aim today was to make sure the train and rails all worked and just to have some quiet time atemping my first build for a long time. Then again, we all have to start somewhere.

IMG_0018-1.jpg

"Take a picture of me will you.. I'll show you!"

I've just downloaded BlueBrick.. Oh dear, this is going to get expensive :grin:

Nice one! It's always great to see people adding trains to their towns, I'm sure you'll agree it adds alot. Continue to build your town up, and be sure to keep us updated. :classic:

It's a bit strange to see the good ol' 7745 with all those new sets... :)

Nice one! It's always great to see people adding trains to their towns, I'm sure you'll agree it adds alot. Continue to build your town up, and be sure to keep us updated. :classic:

I think I'm doing the oposite, adding the town to the train ;o)

It's a bit strange to see the good ol' 7745 with all those new sets... :)

It adds a bit of nostalgia to the new town display.

The postman arrived to day with three big boxes of Lego purchases from the classic town. So I may even have to set up a Classic Town quarter and a new City quarter. Lots of tourists required :classic:

That's a good start of a town, and I love the old train! :wub:

It is the one I never got. :cry_sad:

I don't see why you need a bigger table yet, unless you have some boxes to go through still.. :grin:

That's a good start of a town, and I love the old train! :wub:

It is the one I never got. :cry_sad:

I don't see why you need a bigger table yet, unless you have some boxes to go through still.. :grin:

A few boxes to go yet and a few more to receive from Bricklink and Ebay. I have enough base plates to cover the table but they are discoloured, then again I think I am after 25 years as well lol! :tongue:

Banditloon: it's always nice to see older trains combined with new City sets. That table works well for your layout. It's amazing how easy it is to fill a large space on a table with a LEGO town/train display. A grey tablecloth would hide the wood and blend in with your grey roadplates. :wink:

Banditloon: it's always nice to see older trains combined with new City sets. That table works well for your layout. It's amazing how easy it is to fill a large space on a table with a LEGO town/train display. A grey tablecloth would hide the wood and blend in with your grey roadplates. :wink:

:thumbup: Good call :wink:

The police station and petrol stations have both arrived today, so I will knuckle down to some building tomorrow and also find a bigger dust sheet.

Grey table cloth still to be found and a decent dust sheet, but a few more sets have been added now.

IMG_0034.jpg

Must remember to push the yellow bricks together tomorrow morning :grin:

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Large version!

IMG_0039.jpg

Large version!

Edited by banditloon

I like that Shell Station. That's not an official set, is it? I recall having Shell stickers from one of the old Idea Books.

Looks like 6378 to me!

Your town looks great so far BL, I love the old 12V trains and as you can see I have a soft spot for the 7745. :cry_happy:

Edited by Beej

Looks like 6378 to me!

Your town looks great so far BL, I love the old 12V trains and as you can see I have a soft spot for the 7745. :cry_happy:

:thumbup: Thanks Beer. I'm down to a half full 50ltr box of bricks now.

I like that Shell Station. That's not an official set, is it? I recall having Shell stickers from one of the old Idea Books.

As Beer said, the Shell service station is set number 6378.

I keep finding lots of bricks with those Shelll stickers on from the Idea Books :laugh:

Yep, that's an original Shell 6378............ with idea book stickers. :blush:

Cute mix of modern stuff with classic 80's town - somehow you are getting it right - excellent job 'banditloon' and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet: