Sign in to follow this  
parchioso

Sub Zero Aero Fighter - For the Hoth Rebels

gallery_101_23_281.gif

I think the idea is a little wierd, but I have built it anyway, just feel like doing something for the Hoth Rebels after depicting their tragic fate...

Hoth-SubZero-AeroFighter-7411.jpg

Hoth-SubZero-AeroFighter-7604.jpg

I try to design this to be an eco-friendly vehicle, therefore its weapon system is not explosive-based (no missiles), after all, they seem to be useless against the AT-AT anyway, and to assist the SnowSpeeder, perhaps we can try razors and claws. And it is a Hoth specific flying vehicle not designed for inter-planet travel like a Starfighter.

Hoth-SubZero-AeroFighter-7470.jpg

Hoth-SubZero-AeroFighter-7475.jpg

Hoth-SubZero-AeroFighter-7599.jpg

My Blog entry for this MOC: http://brickand.me/2010/01/20/IGotSomethin...eroFighter.aspx

It's very sleek and interesting. :wub: The sand and dark blue color scheme works nicely. The white highlights give it that Hothy feel to it. The cockpit looks very nice and reminds me of the days of the Alpha Team. Very well done parchioso! :sweet:

Parchisio, I like many aspects of this MOC that you have created. The general shape of the fighter as shown in your first shot is great, and the riff of of a Jedi Starfighter is good, especially in the wings and engines. I also like the technic slopes with holes that you have used on the back; even though they're a bit bulky, they look good. The pattern on the wings is also a good touch, and the claw is a funny but plausibly idea if it could scrape the armor off an AT-AT.

I'd also like to make a few suggested improvements, since I want to give my honest opinion.

First, I think that using so many Alpha Team parts gives this vehicle an Alpha Team look, not a Star Wars look. The shape is Star Wars, and I don't want to sound hypocritical to the discussion that anything can be a Star Wars model, but maybe it is that since you are trying to tie this in to a known faction in a known place (rebels on Hoth), it does not work so well for me. Hoth vehicles (like the Snowspeeder and Ice Cutter) tend to be heavily white and gray, so I think your model would fit in better with a toned-down color scheme.

Secondly, I do not love how the front blades are attached. In the side picture, they really seem just a bit stuck-on under the smooth nose. If you can, I think they would look better between the slopes of the nose, so between the top rounded pieces and the bottom slope up piece. This will give the nose an overall sleeker look I think.

Again, I hope you find these suggestions helpful. I'm not trying to attack you or harshly criticize, I just want to give my opinion and I hope you will not mind.

Parchisio, I like many aspects of this MOC that you have created. The general shape of the fighter as shown in your first shot is great, and the riff of of a Jedi Starfighter is good, especially in the wings and engines. I also like the technic slopes with holes that you have used on the back; even though they're a bit bulky, they look good. The pattern on the wings is also a good touch, and the claw is a funny but plausibly idea if it could scrape the armor off an AT-AT.

I'd also like to make a few suggested improvements, since I want to give my honest opinion.

First, I think that using so many Alpha Team parts gives this vehicle an Alpha Team look, not a Star Wars look. The shape is Star Wars, and I don't want to sound hypocritical to the discussion that anything can be a Star Wars model, but maybe it is that since you are trying to tie this in to a known faction in a known place (rebels on Hoth), it does not work so well for me. Hoth vehicles (like the Snowspeeder and Ice Cutter) tend to be heavily white and gray, so I think your model would fit in better with a toned-down color scheme.

Secondly, I do not love how the front blades are attached. In the side picture, they really seem just a bit stuck-on under the smooth nose. If you can, I think they would look better between the slopes of the nose, so between the top rounded pieces and the bottom slope up piece. This will give the nose an overall sleeker look I think.

Again, I hope you find these suggestions helpful. I'm not trying to attack you or harshly criticize, I just want to give my opinion and I hope you will not mind.

Thanks for the suggestions, even before reading your comments, I also felt that the color scheme is too heavy, my main focus when doing this was actually on how to use the alpha team wedge with printed pattern, if I am right only a few of such printed wedge exists, and many of them are used in Starfighter sets, but I think I should have invested more and get more necessary white and gray parts to fit the Hoth theme, which will help to make the Alpha team wedge fit.

Getting parts here in Hong Kong is more costly and less convenient than Lego Players in Europe and North America, but I think I really need to put in more effort (and budget) in order to improve, thanks again for the advice, I'll try to make a better version 2.

It's very sleek and interesting. :wub: The sand and dark blue color scheme works nicely. The white highlights give it that Hothy feel to it. The cockpit looks very nice and reminds me of the days of the Alpha Team. Very well done parchioso! :sweet:

Thanks JCC1004, I actually made use of parts mainly from an old Alpha team set, the wedge with printed pattern is quite special to me.

This work still has much to be improved, but it is always fun to start doing something new.

I'll sort of copy Clone O'Patra :grin: .

The general shape is great and I love it. It's just that the Alpha Team pieces , like COP said, make it not Star Wars. I think these would fit very well, in a Star Wars MOC, in a very subtle spot, having several space-like designs, but as the main body, it's no good.

Color scheme and parts usage are the only problems here; change those and it could look fantastic!

So, sorry for just copying Cloney, but I just wanted to voice my liking of the MOC :classic:

I can see those wedges more in use if they were used sideways, in SNOT style.

It looks sleek and I like the landing gear. I don't really like the colours in the front but its interesting how you got it there. Are those stickers or paint? Looks good overall though :thumbup:

The shape of the ship is really great but I alpha prints are putting me off. The landing gear is really creative and the claws at the front are cool how they can open and close. Its a good moc but it could be improved. :classic:

I really like the design of this ship, its a lovely shape and fits into the SW universe quite well.

But like as others have said above, the color scheme doesn't quite work for the rebels on hoth/the Alpha team prints.

if those two things could be changed around, you would have an awesome ship :thumbup:

The shape is really sleek, I love that along with the colors. it reminds me of a freeco speeder only much smaller and it looks more agile.

I'm not crasy about the cutters? in the front, but I like the design. Great MOC!

Thats really nice! :thumbup:

The sand blue colour along with the windscreen is a really good combination.

It doesn't look very Star Wars-y to me. It looks more like the icy Alpha Team, which is probably because you used so many AT parts. Though it is a decent Alpha Team MOC.

Steve

Good looking fighter. I like the idea of atmospheric fighters in battles, and the cold and sleek colors go well with Hoth. I like the bit behind the cockpit. Matches the rest of the plane. Hopefully we get to see this fighter in a MOC soon :classic:

I think the design or class is in the eye of the beholder.

i think this looks right at home in a cold setting.