Sign in to follow this  
benny

MOC: Hong Kong Railway EMD G12 locomotive #51 Sir Alexander

traintech1.jpg

MOC EMD G12 Diesel-electric locomotive #51, introduced in Hong Kong in 1955, which is called "Sir Alexander", named after former Governor Alexander Grantham

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KCR-siralexander.JPG

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Superb/a...ageca8cooqq.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Superb/a...agecauvgfm2.jpg

The EMD G12 was a class of locomotive built by GM-EMD, and its Canadian affiliate General Motors Diesel. In addition, Australian licensee Clyde Engineering built ten locomotives for New Zealand in 1957, five for Hong Kong, 23 for Queensland, 14 for Western Australia and seven for BHP. Australian licensee Commonwealth Engineering also built 42 for Queensland Rail in 1964-66. Many examples were built in the 1950-60s for railroads all over the world. They are powered by EMD 12-567C prime movers rated at 1250 hp. Some have been rebuilt with EMD 645 engines.

This G12 #51 "Sir Alexander" was using from 1957-1997. After repairing, it is displayed in Hong Kong Railway Museium since 2004.

To make this MOC locomotive, i don't want to break a 10194, it is too EXPENSIVE. So that i give up the dark green color, i use of brick green color as main color. For another reason, it is not ease to collect the dark green parts in Hong Kong. The bright green with white color is very matched and sharp. So as to improve the control room, i install the doors and upside cover. The minifigure can be changed in ease. We can also see the engine through the door or top cover.

Edited by benny

Let me be the first to say - AWESOME or FANTASTIC ! :sweet::grin::laugh:

What a great job you have done to MOC a classic diesel-electric 'Benny' ! :sweet:

The detail and access to the engine and drivers cabin are just fantastic ! :grin:

I hope you get it front paged ! :grin:

Also it's nice to see somebody else has the engine shed like I do - COOL ! :grin:

Let me be the first to say - AWESOME or FANTASTIC ! :sweet::grin::laugh:

What a great job you have done to MOC a classic diesel-electric 'Benny' ! :sweet:

The detail and access to the engine and drivers cabin are just fantastic ! :grin:

I hope you get it front paged ! :grin:

Also it's nice to see somebody else has the engine shed like I do - COOL ! :grin:

Thanks for yor speedy comment!!!! Actaully, i like this old locomotive so much but it had been stopped in use for a long time. I am happy to see it if it can be the front page posting or other famous brick page.

I will post another MOC hong Kong locomotive later. When i made this No. 51 sir Alexander, i was also making another one.

Nice MOC, like how you added the inside detail and created spacde for the workers.

The change of color is working out very good.

:thumbup:

Some small criticism would e that it looks too high compared to the width.

A great MOC! Thanks for including the pictures of the original too! Great color and details including the engine, cab, and front and back of the locomotive.

I agree with aawsum. It seems a little tall for its width. I would either try to make it one or two plates lower, or make it a 7 wide (definitely the more difficult option).

The shed is a great addition too. Have you already posted photos of that? If not, I think you should! :classic:

Edited by missouri_bb63

A great MOC! Thanks for including the pictures of the original too! Great color and details including the engine, cab, and front and back of the locomotive.

I agree with aawsum. It seems a little tall for its width. I would either try to make it one or two plates lower, or make it a 7 wide (definitely the more difficult option).

The shed is a great addition too. Have you already posted photos of that? If not, I think you should! :classic:

Thanks for your suggestion! 7Xwide ...may be good in outlook!

As i have 10027, 7X wide train may be not ease to enter it! I will try to improve it!

Thanks for your suggestion! 7Xwide ...may be good in outlook!

As i have 10027, 7X wide train may be not ease :blush:to enter it! I will try to improve it!

Aah, that's why that shed looked familiar. :blush: Yes that would be another reason why making it a plate or two lower would be easier than making it wider.

Aah, that's why that shed looked familiar. :blush: Yes that would be another reason why making it a plate or two lower would be easier than making it wider.

Thanks for your comment!

For my lego train style, i like to make its size in 6X wide and the length is similar to 10133 or 10020. The advantage is the size is matched to th train station and repairing station. No problem in entering of train. Another reason is avoid over-use of parts and bricks. In Hong Kong or Asia, the lego sets and parts are much expensive than Europe and USA. Around 20% or more than europe, 30% or more than USA.

Besides, it is not ease to buy the train parts in Asia. In this case, i like to make the MOC train in 6X wide. However, i will try to make the improvement for the train.

Very nice Benny. Great color scheme. I especially like the front end with the white and black decaled tiles. Are those printed tile pieces? In any case, great job at creating Sir Alexander in LEGO. I like the images with the shed. Front-paged! :thumbup:

Very nice Benny. Great color scheme. I especially like the front end with the white and black decaled tiles. Are those printed tile pieces? In any case, great job at creating Sir Alexander in LEGO. I like the images with the shed. Front-paged! :thumbup:

Thanks a lot! I am happy to become "Front-paged". For the front end and back end with the white and black decaled tiles, they are totally hand made. They are not the printed sticker. When i was making the printed sticker, i found that the ink of printer was used up. In this case, I used one black sticker, then i cut it into 2mm in width. After that, i affixd them one by one, they made me near blind on eye. Finally, the effect is very nice.

Edited by benny