Bonaparte

"The making of" our Spanish Imperial Galleon

Captain Green Hair and Bonaparte present:

The making of the Spanish Imperial Galleon Nuestra Señora de la Concepción

Here are some of the pictures we took while building our latest ship. Most of the pictures are taken at my LEGO room, some in the garden and some in Amsterdam at Captain Green Hair's place. I've added a few words for most of the pictures so you can follow the story :pir-classic:

It all starts with the first brick:

pic01.jpg

The stern under construction:

pic02.jpg

First gun port:

pic03.jpg

Mmmm, let's see how this looks (you see Errorist, Captain Green Hair and Bonaparte):

pic04.jpg

Let's try a yellow/white mosaic for the side of the ship:

pic05.jpg

Good weather? Let's build outside :pir-sweet:

pic06.jpg

While watching a movie we put the ship on a shelf to see if we like what we have so far:

pic08.jpg

Nah, let's change the mosaic into green/white and tweak some of the other colors:

pic10.jpg

An early stern design:

pic11.jpg

Ship moved from Belgium to Amsterdam for working on the decks:

pic12.jpg

Here's Steven and the Captain (still in Amsterdam):

pic13.jpg

Back in Belgium (my place) - rigging time!!!:

pic14.jpg

pic15.jpg

pic16.jpg

Let's try to make a sail:

pic17.jpg

pic18.jpg

Ready with needle and wire to attach a sail:

pic19.jpg

Et voila, the first sail is attached:

pic20.jpg

Barbecue time:

pic21.jpg

Making more sails with a full stomach (notice the Klingon flag? :classic:) :

pic22.jpg

pic23.jpg

Making one tick wire for the anchor by combining many wires.

pic24.jpg

Our experiment to iron a printed flag onto canvas:

pic25.jpg

And we liked the result a lot:

pic26.jpg

Finishing the ship (you see Bonaparte and Captain Green Hair working as a team):

pic27.jpg

pic28.jpg

And here's the end result:

pic29.jpg

pic30.jpg

More pictures of the finished ship are here.

Its so funny to see two grown men lying/sitting on the floor playing/building with Lego :pir-tongue:

Edited by Ratshot

Its so funny to see two grown men lying/sitting on the floor playing/building with Lego :pir-tongue:

Huh, who are you calling grown here??!! :pir_mad::pir-tongue:

I saw somebody asking what the sails are made of, it is an old Ikea curtain.

What Ikea isn't good for ey? :pir_laugh2:

Huh, who are you calling grown here??!! :pir_mad::pir-tongue:

Grown men don't play with Lego, they play with saws, nails and wrenchs :pir-laugh:

Edited by Ratshot

Nice to see how a few brown hulls and a lot of bricks slowly turn into the beautiful galleon :pir-classic: Blackmoor and I are also thinking of building a ship together when our current projects are finished. With teamwork (and bricks, and beer, and bbq's) you can make the best MOC's (or OOC' =our own creations) :pir-sweet:

I also found another funny thing in one of my books wich you could also add to your ship, maybe just to see how it looks. It's 2 reaping-hook shaped knives on the end of the mainyard. :pir-classic: If you're interested I can scan the pictures for you. But maybe I have shown it before, I don't know.

Anyway, nice topic :thumbup:

I also found another funny thing in one of my books wich you could also add to your ship, maybe just to see how it looks. It's 2 reaping-hook shaped knives on the end of the mainyard. :pir-classic: If you're interested I can scan the pictures for you. But maybe I have shown it before, I don't know.

I haven't seen that and I'd love to take a look!

Great pics fellas! I like the idea of a BBQ then a LEGO building session! :pir_laugh2: It looks like you guys had a lot of fun, and I guess that's the main thing isn't it? :pir-classic:

Great pics fellas! I like the idea of a BBQ then a LEGO building session!

I think Ill try that with my friends :classic:

It is nice to see the process from the first brick to a fully rigged galleon. Amazing teamwork guys! What beer and bbq can do! :pir_laugh2:

@ Croissant: I'd like to see it as well! Sounds nice. :thumbup:

blogged.png

Edited by Captain Blackmoor

The ship is obviously brilliant, but it's especially nice to see you both having fun making it :thumbup:

Edited by Duke

So here are the pic's:

nummer1a.png

nummer2.png

I think the purpose of these things is quite obvious, just destroying the sails of the other ship.

And I have no idea how to make them with lego :pir-sweet:

I think the purpose of these things is quite obvious, just destroying the sails of the other ship.

And I have no idea how to make them with lego :pir-sweet:

Actually it is thought that those hooks were used to latch on to an enemy ship's rigging. This was done so that a boarding party could never be cut off from their own ship by the enemy crew without them causing serious damage to their own rigging. The same method was applied on fireships.

Anyway great pictures Boney :thumbup:

It was a lot of fun being able to help with this beauty, even though I only played a very small part in her construction, and I sincerely hope that there will be more projects like these in the near future.

Greetings,

Errorist

Edited by Errorist

Nice to see something of the build of this mighty ship. :pir-sweet:

Actually it is thought that those hooks were used to latch on to an enemy ship's rigging. This was done so that a boarding party could never be cut off from their own ship by the enemy crew without them causing serious damage to their own rigging. The same method was applied on fireships.

Ok, well my book said it was for damaging the sails. But I think what you said would have been more useful because the hooks are not big enough to cause serious damage to sails. Thanks for the info :pir-classic:

Wow! This ship is truly breathtaking! I have one question though: About how many pieces did you use to create this masterpiece, and how much did you spend on it?

just beautiful, great pictures that capture the build and people behind it. Excellent!

Thank you for the great feedback guys!

Looking back at the pictures I can remember what we discussed like yesterday, too much fun!

It has been too long guys.....

Wow, you guys are so lucky, this looks like a blast to do, I really need to get my club together so I actually have some friends who care about Lego to do this with :pir-classic:

It has been over a year since I first saw this galleon, I was half way through my Galleon when I discovered it! I have yet to finish it, but they look remarkably similar (except mine is smaller by one hull section).

It has been over a year since I first saw this galleon, I was half way through my Galleon when I discovered it! I have yet to finish it, but they look remarkably similar (except mine is smaller by one hull section).

I'm glad we've inspired you! :pir-sweet:

6 hours ago, commodore bricksfeild said:

apslutly beautiful ship how do you make it look curved :pir-oh:

You sir might enjoy  THIS thread

Edited by Roadmonkeytj
Broken link