1 member has voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding!

thindexedgif.gif

When I first heard about the games theme from Lego, honestly there were not much excitement, first of all, I am not especially fond of this kind of game (instead I like X-BOX games), and secondly, my impression is that Lego is not a company good at this kind of stuff.

But after coming across 3840 Pirate Code by chance, it somehow caught my attention, and since a local vendor is selling it at HKD 279 (Around 22 Pound sterling), a 1.3X mark-up for a low cost product is truly acceptable, and I think perhaps I can play this with my kid too.

3840PirateCode6020.JPG

3840PirateCode6037.JPG

Nice packaging! Why can't all Lego sets boxes be designed this way?

And the result? Well, I would say this set is a jewel, not that it is a great game, but that it is a well-designed model that can be used to play a game in the pirates spirit, and its parts inventory is very interesting!

3840PirateCode6164.JPG

It is not a set for minifig collector, as there is no real Pirates elements in this set for that sense, the only "minifig" is a skeleton, but the game is about guessing the pirate secret code, and the most cunning pirate will win, the secret code is expressed in a mix of colored gems (6 colors). And guess results and hints can be expressed according to some rules. Honestly, I am really not a fan of these type of games, I would rather play Gears Of War II instead, so I am not going to play it now, and really can't elaborate any further.

3840PirateCode6186Noted.JPG

The model is very interesting, built out of many high value parts, you got big number of stud plates, panel and other parts that you cannot possibly get in such quantity from a set! An example, for gems alone, you get 72 pieces of them (12 X 6 colors)! Checking out how much each of these will cost in bricklink, you'll know what you have got! By the way, as of now, the parts list are not inventorized at peeron yet, a photo here can give you a good idea on what's in the set:

3840PirateCode6062.JPG

3840PirateCode6142.JPG

I like the treasure boxes a lot!

It seems to me that the games theme is available in Europe but not in USA, the price I got it in Hong Kong is still ok, the model is good and the parts can be a good supplement for building MOCs.

With my experiences on this 3840 Pirate Code, I think I need to take a serious look into other sets in the Games theme.

My blog entry: http://brickand.me/2009/10/29/DiscoveringA...PirateCode.aspx

Thanks for review (finnaly somone did it!)

This game is ripoff of Mastermind game- it is fun (and IMO looks better than original)!

But the best thing in this set/game are... Crystals! I love Crystals!

Why, oh why these games are not available in Poland? :pir_bawling:

Nvm, they are awailable, and I'm getting this one!

Edited by Lordofdragonss

I'm really digging all these new games that LEGO is producing.

Great review, this looks like a good way to get lots and lots of jewels.

Have you played it yet? Is it fun as an actual game?

Great review parchioso!

The fact that 72 jewels are included is superb! I never thought that LEGO would ever put that many into a set! :pir-cry_happy:

I really like the design of the treasure chests, and the actual rules to play the game is very creative - a great twist to the original Mastermind!

You guys can see how the game is played here. :wink:

I can't wait for these to be released to the US! I plan on getting at least Monster 4 and possibly this. :pir-classic:

Edited by ILikePi

Great review parchioso!

The fact that 72 jewels are included is superb! I never thought that LEGO would ever put that many into a set! :pir-cry_happy:

there are 74 in the Grand Carousel.

guess lego are becoming less stingy with their jewels.

Have you played it yet? Is it fun as an actual game?

I think the reviewer made it perfectly clear he prefers Xbox games to this kind of non-video type game... :pir-sweet:

It is an interesting looking set. Thanks for all the pictures... I especially like the really large treasure chest

I'm really looking forward to picking some of the games up, and this one is top of my list. May have to get two with that very tasty parts selection...

Am I really the only one that noticed the return of the ball joint skeleton? :pir_laugh2:

I actually bought 2 of these just for the 2x4 brown slope pieces which allowed me to build a brown Emrald Night :pir_laugh2: Good set for pieces but i probably wouldnt have bought it otherwise.

I think the reviewer made it perfectly clear he prefers Xbox games to this kind of non-video type game... :pir-sweet:

It is an interesting looking set. Thanks for all the pictures... I especially like the really large treasure chest

It doesn't mean he couldn't have played it once or twice to complete the review.

It doesn't mean he couldn't have played it once or twice to complete the review.

I agree it would have been nice to include a report on it's playability. But if you'll read the review, he expressly states that he didn't play it:

Honestly, I am really not a fan of these type of games, I would rather play Gears Of War II instead, so I am not going to play it now, and really can't elaborate any further.

I just found it funny that he twice mentioned he preferred Xbox to "these types of games"... I just used your comment, Big Cam, as a springboard to point that out. My apologies if my post came out out sounding offensive.

I watched the link to how it's play on lego.com that ILikePi posted, and it does look like a rather fun game. I wouldn't find getting it sometime too.

is that a new treasure chest piece that the gems are stored in? its really big and what not. i kind of want to buy a couple of this set for the gold bricks, gems, and that chest. very cool set. im definately going to try and get one.

your review didnt show a whole lot. i think you needed about 10 more pictures, discuss strange pieces, surprises, new pieces, how stable something is, how it works, stuff like that. i learned nothing from your review other than that theres tons of gold bricks, gems, and a new crate piece.

I want to know where I can find this. I looked all over for it on Legoshop.com, by theme, by category, etc and I still can't find it. :3

Edit: I found it, but it claims it's not available in my country. :P

Edited by Captain M

Maybe it's just a matter of time; Boardgames will be available in countries other than U.K. or Germany in 2010.

I don't have it but from what I can see, it looks like the worst af all the 2009 Pirate sets (if you consider it a Pirate set at all). I must say though I only look at it as a part pack, as I don't think I would ever bother to play the actual game, so this makes my judgement far less objective. It's a great source of jewels and that's about it. Plus you have the skeleton and the hat. I'd choose Tic Tac Toe rather than this anytime. But your review is pretty decent!

well .... i did a long time reflection last time at toys r us with the package in hand, and finally i didn't took it .... now that i know it hold 72 gems, i'll definitely get it one day or another, thanks to your review ;D

It's a great source of jewels and that's about it. Plus you have the skeleton and the hat.

Don't forget about the 50 jumper plates (34 gold, 4 red, 4 yellow, 4 green, 4 blue). 

Edited by Arigomi

Got this set today during the Star Wars sale. It being discounted and the bountiful gems is well worth it, love hearing them spill out on the floor. I have way too gems much to fit in my normal sized chests!