Sign in to follow this  
Basiliscus

Antarctica 1983

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

It's been a pretty hectic year and I've been struggling to find the time (not to mention motivation) to build anything fresh. I've got plenty of ideas but not enough time to do them justice!

I had planned to do something for Halloween, but unfortunately I am not keen on hardcore horror films which meant by palette was limited. However, I had seen more gentle horror such as Alien, The Descent and of course, The Thing.

4059933322_7eae697963.jpg

Anyway, sob story that no-one wants to read aside, I'd always wanted to do a tribute to the

. The video itself is already a tribute to a popular sci-fi/horror film that I'd seen (you can decide which one for yourselves...).

4059190171_379320238d.jpg

I knew all along that this MOC would be my first serious foray into advanced lighting techniques. I thought it would very appropriate for the atmosphere I wanted to create.

4059934236_ee2d0bb35b.jpg

I always feel that the scariest thing is what you DON'T get to see, so I've left the monster here deliberately ambiguous. You can decide for yourself what's coiled around the barrel, projecting red light in the corner and has the ability to turn off lights in nearby rooms.

I hope you've enjoyed this small insight into my building process. I tend not to delve into this as I find it difficult to express myself coherently. If you've questions, please ask.

4059190421_a7cddd4769.jpg

This MOC can be found on Brickshelf (when moderated), MOCpages and Flickr for your viewing pleasure.

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Those shelves and the heater in the back are great , are the shelves stuck on or do they just loosely sit there?

I'm also wondering how you did the lighting because the way the light shines and reflects is quite realistic .

Beautiful work

The lighting and photography are great. Good job.

Those shelves and the heater in the back are great , are the shelves stuck on or do they just loosely sit there?

I'm also wondering how you did the lighting because the way the light shines and reflects is quite realistic .

Beautiful work

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad you noticed the heater - I wasn't sure if it was obvious what it was supposed to represent. The shelves are stuck to the supporting poles, but the shelf-unit (if you like) just sits on the surface of the MOC. The most frustrating part about photographing this was items constantly falling off the shelves when moving the main character (since the shelves were made from tiles).

The lighting was achieved using a mixture of a halogen desk lamp behind some tracing paper (for the corridor lighting) and the 'bulbs' in the room itself were the power function light set with a 1x1 trans-clear round brick on the end to diffuse the light.

The lighting and photography are great. Good job.

Why thank you.

Brilliant, the lighting is simply perfect.

What else is thee to say :classic:

Excellent approach for taking pictures. Moc is beautiful.

Glad you both like it!

Long time no see, Senor Cuahchic!!! Good to see you post another MOC after such a lengthy absence, and what an awesome MOC this is...

Loving the photography & lighting techniques, that must have taken some serious thought - but the final product is really brill! Are you finally coming back to the MOCcing scene then?

After reviewing the full sized images on flickr, I have a question.

Is the red light in the last shot suppose to be there, also what is it?

Great MOC Basiliscus :thumbup:

I really like the shelves :wub:

Also the floor is nice aswell.

But the lighting is BEST!!!! :wub: Surperb job with it!

Well done!

CommanderFox

This is awesome. You're awesome Basiliscus! Though I wouldn't call Alien or The Thing "soft" horror, I'd say they are more classic horror that don't conform to ridiculous Hollywood horror cliches. Having just recently shown my family The Thing, one of my favourite movies, this is a great moc to me. That atmosphere you have evoked is brilliant, the simple colour scheme really works. The placement of the objects is fantastic, doesn't give a feeling of claustrophobia so much as being wide open for an attack. The grilled floor is great too.

Also, totally agreed on the "best horror is that which you don't see" principle, it's why I love the HP Lovecraft mythos so much.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Thank you to everyone for all the comments! Although there's nothing particularly innovative about the build I tried to emphasise the presentation the most.

Long time no see, Senor Cuahchic!!! Good to see you post another MOC after such a lengthy absence, and what an awesome MOC this is...

Loving the photography & lighting techniques, that must have taken some serious thought - but the final product is really brill! Are you finally coming back to the MOCcing scene then?

Thank you! Yes, I appreciate the reminder I haven't built anything in 3 months. I've been busy! :tongue: And what do you mean "coming back" - I never left! :laugh:

After reviewing the full sized images on flickr, I have a question.

Is the red light in the last shot suppose to be there, also what is it?

Yes, that red light is supposed to be there. What is producing it is up to you - I've left it up to your imagination to decide what it is - that way it can be as scary as you like! :devil:

Thank you! Yes, I appreciate the reminder I haven't built anything in 3 months. I've been busy! :tongue:

Same deal here mate... believe me, I do know what it's like - the Speed Triple is the first MOC I've completed in the last 6 or more months... My downtime beats your downtime :grin: Seriously though, good to see you around :) Hope all's well with you!