Sign in to follow this  
fonz

Cliffhanger

WOW! That is an outstanding entry! I :pir-wub: the boat, and the palm tree, and that is one huge rock! I'd say this is going for at least second place, and in all likelyhood, first! :thumbup::thumbup:

To post the photos, you need to go to the page for that picture. Above it will be a button that says "all sizes". Click on that, and scroll down to the bottom of the page. There will be a couple of text boxes that have html or a url in them. Copy either of those, then go to EB and click on the "insert an image" button (the one with the little photo of the sun coming up in the post editor), right click on the field that will come up, click paste, click okay, and you're done!

Once again, wonderful job!

Edited by Tereglith

This truly is a creative, in a way funny and very well done entry. The rock is absolutely stunning; at least I couldn't imagine a better one. The ladder is also very nice.

However I do think that the water is a bit to high above the coast line (although it also looks great).

I also am not so much a fan of pirate ships build with the wiking ship hulls; the bow seems too low, the masts ans sails way too small. On the other hands this touch of unrealism could add to the cartoon-like apeareance of the whole idea which I like much as stated above.

You certainly have a good chance of winning - but there is still more than a month to go and much more entrys will be added. I'm also working on one :pir-classic:

Perfectionist

Fantastic work on this. All the details look great and that mountain is more than outstanding. :pir-classic:

As other have mentioned I would love to know the story behind this and maybe a little bit more than just that its your first pirate creation. Although for your first pirate creation it does looks great. The red sails look nice and ragged and the ship looks like it has clearly been sitting on the mountain for quite some time, unless of course water levels can drop so dramatically as to reveal a mountain. The age of the ship also leads me to think of the health of the minifigures which is remarkably good. If they were there for so long (assuming they were) would they not have turned to skeletons? The windows near the low part of the ship are also a little off setting as water would quickly pour through them in rough water causing the ship to sink. :pir-tongue:

Still everything looks great and I'm digging that palm tree along with the overall design of the ship and mountain as I stated before.

Original idea and an excellent build. Well done!

is it supposed to be at low tide, and then when the tide comes in, the water level reaches the wet rocks (dark grey) and the ladder? :imperialguard_commander1: if it is, i think you should take out the palm tree, just sayin'.

Overall, this is one of the best entries i've seen in the large category, if not in the whole competition. :pir_laugh2:

good job and good luck! :pir_laugh2:

Nice entry you've got there, one of the best so far. :thumbup:

The ship is outstanding and the rocks are great as well.

Perhaps some crabs or starfish would add more detail to the sand part below.

But the low tide idea is pretty similar to my entry, which is almost finished. :pir-grin:

Good luck at the contest! :kahuka:

Great job! I really like the sails, and the rocks are good too. It's kinda funny to see a big boat just stuck on top of some rocks :pir_laugh2:

Thats the same idea as a scene im building for my coastline, altho mines a shipwreck. Neat idea, is there a story behind it? Its very eye catching and theres lots going on. A few things you could change: how did the ship get there, if its low tide then you might want to swap the palm tree and flowers for seaweed and make the ship look a bit more wrecked. Otherwise a good moc and worthy potental winner :pir-classic:

Thanks for these lovin' words.....

There is not realy a story behind this one, bought myself a few months back the troll ship ( that's the only boat hull i got)

and like to give it a try..... to build a pirateship for my son , and see the PTV contest overhere........so,

I noticed that the hull was to low for a pirateship.....but hey! you have to build with what you got.....(that's what my mom told me 40 years ago.)

When i finished the boat, i don't want to build a big diorama where the ship is in.....so i try to build a huge wave that looks like a big hand where the ship lies on top of it.

that didn't work out the way i liked it.....then i got the idea of the rock.

A big wave lifted the boat, and lay it gentle down on the rock.....but no worries,the crew is to drunk to notice.

That's a little bit the story.

Thanks and good luck all of you with the moc entry's

Ahoy Fonz.

Outstanding! This is truly a magnificent entry! The rocky face is beautifully built, and the ladder is a nice touch. The ship itself is something else - not having 'correct' hull pieces doesn't detract from the quality of this ship at all. Very, very nicely done.

Once again, fantastic entry! Good luck!

If this is your first MOC than I am very impressed someone with your skill has been hiding for so long.

I don't even know where to begin, but I guess I will go from the bottom up.

The water, beach, and even palm tree all look appropriate to the scene. Everything looks right and how it is supposed to be. I question the octopus a little, but maybe he is just curious as to how these sailors got into their situation?

This next point may seem silly, but I totally love that you have lighter rock over darker rock. TOO MANY times I see this reversed or done incorrectly and it takes away from the whole MOC for me. I look at this MOC and it just makes sense. Maybe not the fact that the ship is one the rock, but definitely the fact that the rock looks RIGHT!

The ship is very well built and I like how you made the top of the rock still look smoother but yet had the ship resting upon it. It really looks like a ship on a rock rather than a LEGO creation with a ship as the top of it. Catch my drift?

I assume your poor sailors have been here for a while because they have a ladder trying to get down to the beach. Very nice use of the Viking front bow. Many have debated on this forum how useful that bow might be and I think you have used it correctly without it looking gaudy.

I like your vegetation. It seems to be the right amount and not too much. The realistic look of it is very impressive. Furthermore, I also like the simplicity of the two tones of green.

Well, I hope your poor sailors make it home some day! :pir_laugh2: This is a very nice MOC and I think you have really put yourself in the running!

GOOD JOB!

-martinsuper

fonz, I loved your Knight Train to Chamelot and the unique, fun idea it brought to the Train Tech Contest... So when I saw thread, I was holding my breath for a sight of your pirates sailing a nuclear trireme... :pir_laugh2: Seeing them "simply" stranded there has definitely calmed me down a bit - which is not to say this entry isn't JUST as ingenious as yout Train Tech Category 1 entry... By the way, judging by your MOCcing prowess, if you pass those skills down to your son, he might be as well be the next Jamie Berard! :pir-cry_happy:

Now then - on to the creation itself... Last time I said that you'd helped the contest "jump the shark", but this time around it looks like your men are those who need some jumping to start off with. It doesn't look like that tide is going to rise up high enough unless the Moon comes within a few clicks of Mother Earth... :pir-hmpf_bad: Now, the way you've recreated that entire idea... simply mind-blowing. I personally had never seen dark and "regular" bricks being utilised in such a manner so as to form a naturally-looking "wet" and "dry" area of the rock - but it is a brilliant idea which has been used very sensibly here. Same as the Knight Train, this MOC is so self-explanatory, funny and original, it hardly needs a background story. However, knowing that most EB members do enjoy a good read, I feel you've done the right thing by posting a mini-synopsis of what's been going on there! That should definitely guarantee you a few extra votes.

Your ship itself does look cartoonish - but I'm almost sure that's what you were going for anyway. Its looks are not particularly intimidating or pirate-y, especially considering the lack of cannons. Guess you could easily pass it as a pirates' exploring vessel though - that ship looks handy for looong sea cruises. Oh, and I'm quite curious - how did that marlin get caught there - freak wave!?

I would love to see a few more pics of the interior - what with that fat hull, she's got to hold quite a bit of goodies in there...

To sum it all up - I'd give this one 11/10. The Large Division is really starting to look more and more thrilling by the day!

I don't see how ya make out with the viking hull pieces. Maybe you could give me some pointers?

Anyway, nice MOC, I bet the sailors are like, "... Holy S***, what happened?" :pir_laugh2:

Holy Cow, another superb entry, the size is outstanding. I'm not going to ask how that ship got up there but this MOC is just great, the ship is leaning at a perfect angle, it looks very real and believable.

The rock cliffs and entire mountian like piece look fantastic too, not only can you make a boat but a good land mass too!

I don't know where you guys get all the ideas for these and not to mention the parts!

an AMAZING entry, I saw it on Flickr allready, but that's really really cool !

Great job !