Sign in to follow this  
Bonaparte

Classic-Pirates.com Report: The Future of LEGO Pirates

During the month of August we've done a survey on Classic-Pirates.com in which you, our members, could share your wishes for the future of LEGO pirates. Although we've received sad news in the mean time of the discontinuation of the current Pirates line, our report was not a waste of time if you take into account the time it takes to develop a new LEGO set (= around one year).

For those interested, I'm sharing the full report as it was send to LEGO in the beginning of September 2009. This report is based on your inputs that have been sorted in order of importance based on the number of requests for each idea.

Classic-Pirates.com report (English): The Future of LEGO Pirates

Classic-Pirates.com report (Traditional Chinese): The Future of LEGO Pirates

Classic-Pirates.com report (English with Traditional Chinese translation): The Future of LEGO Pirates

Bonaparte, you have done an absolutely marvellous job there... Thank you for bringing Pirate fans together and finding an accurate way of voicing our concerns and wishes - even though I personally did not manage to take part in the survey :imperialguard_commander1:

Let's hope TLG will take at least some of those suggestions in mind when designing the next Pirates line. As proven by the new Exclusive ship, all is not lost and I for one am pretty convinced that this survey, presented in such a professional manner, will prove very useful to the entire Pirate community.

that's a very good report. great to see the wishes of afol pirates in such an orderly list. I think this will be of great use for both Lego and the lego pirate community!

excelent job!

From what I've read of the thread - and that was most of it - it seems like an excellent summary of AFOLs' ideas about the Pirates line. I also think it was a good idea to summary what we DON'T want to see. :cannon:

Well said, sir. I may be cynical, but I still applaud the effort--the odds may be seldom in favor of gettin' what you want, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, and I think you've bullseyed this one... if Billund can be bothered to listen.

if Billund can be bothered to listen.

'Billund' (TLG) asked for this report, so I sure hope they can be bothered to read a two page summary. :pir-wink:

'Billund' (TLG) asked for this report, so I sure hope they can be bothered to read a two page summary. :pir-wink:

No, that's a misunderstanding; making this report was a personal initiative. I will continue to take personal initiatives during my term as ambassador so we get the most out of it.

Great summary Bonaparte. Very nice job on this. :thumbup:

Thanks Brickster! I'd like to say a special thanks to you, the Eurobricks staff and the Classic-Pirates.com staff for reviewing the document and all the wonderful suggestions you guys made to improve it.

No, that's a misunderstanding. Making this report was a personal initiative of myself. I will continue to take personal initiatives during my term as ambassador so we get the most out of it.

OOOPS, my bad! :pir-blush:

Somehow it got into my mind that TLG asked for it. That's even better, a great initiative, nice summary, I'm happy with the recommendations you made, because they nicely align with my ideas about the future of Pirates.

Sir, I applaud you on the professional construction and detailing of your report. It is evident that TLG is willing to listen to the AFOL community as evidence by the Imperial ship, so there may be hope for us yet. If Pirates even continues as an exclusives-only theme, then we should consider that a victory. I do hope they will take your report as a serious piece of marketing advice. I believe your recommendations summarize the desired future of Pirates perfectly and I applaud your initiative and readiness to act as ambassador.

Edited by Capt. Redblade

Very interesting :classic:

Rather than babble on about the good points of this report I'll just say that you did a great job summing it up :thumbup:

You hit the nail with the hammer.

Well done Bonapart :bonaparte:

Edited by Ratshot

OK, we'll now get the UCS Imperial Ship. Let's work on the Harbour and the Bluecoats.. ;-)

Thanks,

JanSued

Well done Bonaparte! Excellent work. :thumbup:

It's great to see so many ideas, imagine if some of them will be released as a real set sometime. :pir-cry_happy:

that was a neat petition letter thingy! i can tell Bonaparte was in favor of the blue coats by the way he worded it!ha ha! :pir-tongue:

I'm surprised only 220 approximately people did that survey! there MUST be more AFOL pirate fans out there!

i kind of disagree about the fantasy thing, i think that would be cool. sea monsters and dead guys don't sound cool to you guys? :pir_bawling:

i really hope the LEGO group takes our letter into consideration and also that other petition we all signed (i think over 300 people). I hope they take back what they said about the cancellation of pirates and that the newest imperial set has no theme label on it because they didnt want us to suspect anything, and that on january 1st there will be a label on it and TLG will announce that pirates will continue -- i can dream cant I?!

i kind of disagree about the fantasy thing, i think that would be cool. sea monsters and dead guys don't sound cool to you guys? :pir_bawling:

That report was mainly based on the survey, but there was also an element of general forum discussion included. It seems fans in general don't agree with you. :pir-sceptic:

Dear Bonaparte,

You summed it up nicely. Thanks for holding this discussion. :pir-classic:

Now let's hope the Lego company will use the results constructively.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Wow. To me this shows that AFOL interests have been very well communicated (esspecially regarding the announcement of the new admiral's flagship). Although i missed the survey, i can quite well identify with the results.

Great work :pir-sweet:

Perfectionist

The report is now also available in traditional Chinese thanks to our member CVSPIS CELIDVS. The traditional Chinese version has been blogged on TWLUG (Taiwan LEGO User Group).

Classic-Pirates.com report (Traditional Chinese): The Future of LEGO Pirates

Classic-Pirates.com report (English with Traditional Chinese translation): The Future of LEGO Pirates

Hopefully TLG will read this and think about it long and hard before ditching Pirates for too long of a period of time.

Hopefully TLG will read this and think about it long and hard before ditching Pirates for too long of a period of time.

I think the report will be really effective, Boney did a good job on it.

Link with report does not work. And I got acrobat reader. I can't even save it to the PC, please help.

EDIT:

After 10 times it finally worked.

I'm pleased to see, that Pirate Plundering Village idea is on the first place. Second place actually became true (an UCS Imperial Ship). Intresting idea for me is to make small ships brick-built. That good be a good filler between small wooden boats and mid-scaled ships/great warships.

I hope, that in 2011 catalog we'll see some scenes just like in early nineties.

Edited by Piterio