peterab

TTCE: Roundhouse and Turntable

ENTERED

roundhouse.jpg

A roundhouse and turntable. The turntable is powered with a 4.5V tecnic motor.

My apologies for the poor image quality. The camera I have access to isn't very good and I couldn't control the lighting :cry_sad:

Very nice shed peterab! My only criticism is the lack of images. :cry_sad:

And why isn't it posted on ANZFOL? You're a Kelly Gang Member for a reason. :tongue:

Very nice shed peterab! My only criticism is the lack of images. :cry_sad:

And why isn't it posted on ANZFOL? You're a Kelly Gang Member for a reason. :tongue:

Well both your points have the same answer; I want to photograph this with a friends camera, so I get better images, then I'll post more on Brickshelf, Mocpages, ANZFOL, Flickr and add an update here :look:

I only posted here since this is what motivated me, so I wanted to take part before the competition ends :sweet:

Let us know when you have more pics available. Very nice roundhouse, I would love to see more details and the turning mechanism as well.

I think these roundhouses are some of the most difficult train-related building to create. Very nice job on this Peterab.

I must admit I learnt a lot doing it. In other words my initial plan turned out to have some dumb mistakes and unforseen problems :tongue:

One of the unforseen problems was another member of my train club has some awesome steam train mocs, based on local prototypes, which are too big for the roundhouse and turntable. Apparantlly the prototype was too big for some of the turntables it used too so they would detach the tender from the loco and turn each part seperately.

I also miss-calculated the angle I needed for the roof so had to rebuild it part way through. Part of my criteria for this building was that each stall would have its own radial slice roof, and they would all be the same size.

I'm about to build a german BR50 which will also be too big. I'm looking at this version as a first prototype at the moment. Now that I've solved some of the problems, I'd like to revisit it to get the size correct, and to improve the asthetics, and break the symetry perhaps by have some long and some short stalls, and adding some loading doors to one side and perhaps a steam driven lathe in a workshop. I think where my entries to the contest lacked was in their livelyness, I need to add minfigs and have them doing something not just standing around.

Let us know when you have more pics available. Very nice roundhouse, I would love to see more details and the turning mechanism as well.

No problem, it may not be quick though, my Lego activities rarely get to be first priority :sad: I'll add an update here when I get the photos up.

I intend to show all the tricky bits to achieve both the angled roundhouse and the turntable mechanism.

I'm about to build a german BR50 which will also be too big. I'm looking at this version as a first prototype at the moment. Now that I've solved some of the problems, I'd like to revisit it to get the size correct, and to improve the asthetics, and break the symetry perhaps by have some long and some short stalls, and adding some loading doors to one side and perhaps a steam driven lathe in a workshop. I think where my entries to the contest lacked was in their livelyness, I need to add minfigs and have them doing something not just standing around.

No problem, it may not be quick though, my Lego activities rarely get to be first priority :sad: I'll add an update here when I get the photos up.

I intend to show all the tricky bits to achieve both the angled roundhouse and the turntable mechanism.

I can't wait to see your interpretation of the BR50. I had a great time building mine. :cry_happy: Please do post some pictures of the roundhouse mechanism and all the other complicated parts. I think many people underestimate the amount of planning and testing involved in getting your MOC to look and work as it did. Any chance you could make a video of the turntable in action? :classic:

I can't wait to see your interpretation of the BR50. I had a great time building mine. :cry_happy: Please do post some pictures of the roundhouse mechanism and all the other complicated parts. I think many people underestimate the amount of planning and testing involved in getting your MOC to look and work as it did. Any chance you could make a video of the turntable in action? :classic:

I won't promise a video, as I don't have the means to make one, but if I can work out a way I'll try. I certainly plan to take enough photos to make it clear how to replicate it.

My BR50 could be a long time coming. I've just ordered some BBB wheels as the first step :tongue: I have looked closely at yours a number of times :sweet: