Cooper

TTCE: Southern Pacific Cab Forward

ENTERED

3955691255_f56ff491a0_o.jpg

The Lone Survivor

The very first cab-forward locomotive was delivered to the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1910. While the configuration certainly improved visibility for the crew, the main advantage of the cab relocation was in preventing the crew from becoming asphyxiated by the exhaust fumes while going through long tunnels and snow sheds. The cab-forwards were primarily used in the Sierra Nevada range, but also saw use in other parts of California on the SP lines. Baldwin would eventually build 256 of the cab-forwards for the Southern Pacific. SP4294 was one of the final cab-forwards and one of the final steam engines acquired by Southern Pacific (part of the AC-12 series). While articulated, SP4294 was not a true Mallet.

Of the 256 Cab Forward locomotives Baldwin built for the Southern Pacific Railroad, SP4294 is the lone survivor. Today SP4294 resides in Sacramento at the California State Railroad Museum.

3971715932_ca29344c40_o.jpg

Oil Burner

Since the firebox was located at the front of the engine, the cab-forwards were oil burners. The oil reservoir in the tender was air tight and would be slightly pressurized in order to assure the flow of oil on uphill grades.

3971715946_9cb3b2ce97_o.jpg

Stack Splitter

Due to the high stack velocities of the large cab-forwards, stack splitters were installed to prevent the roofing from being blown off of snow sheds.

3971715958_7464746508_o.jpg

The Monkey Deck

Another feature of the SP cab-forwards was the platform at the rear of the engine, just before the tender. Due to it's location, this platform would not be a pleasant place to hitch a ride, and as a result was referred to as the Monkey Deck.

AC-12 Series

Drivers: 63\"

Tractive Effort: 124,300 lbs

6000 HP

Power Functions

Two XL Power Functions motors are used, one to power each set of drivers. The battery box and IR sensor are also contained in the body of the locomotive.

3974084671_9e891de65e_o.png

Edited by Cooper

Hey Cooper! That is a brilliant train, I didn't realise that foward cab trains were real. So they fed the boiler through the front of the loco? Good luck with this contest mate, you're sure to come out well. :classic:

I wasn't aware of the existence of cab forwards until a couple weeks ago. From the research I've done since then, it seems that while there were a couple other examples of cab forwards elsewhere in the world, the Southern Pacific Railroad (in California) was the only railroad to use cab forwards in significant numbers. I live in Northern California, so this engine also has a nice historical tie to the area.

Again, from the research I've done on this, the boilers were fed from the front. Thus the use of oil and not coal as the fuel. Good thing too, because the walk to the back of the engine to get another shovel of coal would have been a real pain. :tongue:

I wasn't aware of the existence of cab forwards until a couple weeks ago. From the research I've done since then, it seems that while there were a couple other examples of cab forwards elsewhere in the world, the Southern Pacific Railroad (in California) was the only railroad to use cab forwards in significant numbers. I live in Northern California, so this engine also has a nice historical tie to the area.

Again, from the research I've done on this, the boilers were fed from the front. Thus the use of oil and not coal as the fuel. Good thing too, because the walk to the back of the engine to get another shovel of coal would have been a real pain. :tongue:

I'm assuming that means that oil was pumped to the boiler from the tender via some form of hose?

I'm no train expert, but couldn't you just take the emerald night, put the cars in front and screw around with the errmmm... Pilots/Captain's cockpit thingy? (That's the only way a Star Wards geek can say it...)

Either way, great MOC! I love it! :thumbup: It stort of looks modern at the same time as old-style. I loike the silver front ring thingie, by the way! :tongue:

That's a serious MOC. With TLC saying they won't release the Emerald Night coaches separately. It's a great use of all the extra pieces from the EN sets.

Cab forward is a freaky looking design but you have done a great job. I really like the boiler work. There has been quite a few trains lately using Cheese pieces for boilers but I think yours looks much better.

Just be careful, as the rules stated one photo, it would be a real shame if it wasn't judge because of a technicality.

Cab forward is a freaky looking design but you have done a great job. I really like the boiler work. There has been quite a few trains lately using Cheese pieces for boilers but I think yours looks much better.

My main issue with the cheese slope boilers is all of the internal structure, which makes power functions incorporation extremely difficult. I do really like the way they look though. The cheese slopes do have the advantage of being a bit more flexible to localized texture changes. The curved sections I used are only available in 4L, so the design has to work around that spacing.

Just be careful, as the rules stated one photo, it would be a real shame if it wasn't judge because of a technicality.

Thanks. I thought I remembered seeing clarification at one point that multiple photos were ok, but only the first photo would be used for voting purposes, but I can't find that now that I went looking for it. The first post has been edited.

alright cooper!

you stepped up to the plate to take on this engine. I've been waiting for someone to build a model of the cab forward which are almost a trademark of the southern pacific.

excellent job

I thought I remembered seeing clarification at one point that multiple photos were ok, but only the first photo would be used for voting purposes, but I can't find that now that I went looking for it. The first post has been edited.

Well I came across another reference to the above, so the first post has been edited to include a few more photos.

you're more than welcome to share more images on this post. Voting will be based on your first image only
I've been waiting for someone to build a model of the cab forward which are almost a trademark of the southern pacific.

excellent job

I think part of the issue is that not many people were aware of the cab forwards. Before this building contest began and I started really digging for something to build, I wasn't aware of the cab forwards either and the last one is only a couple hours away from me. They are beautiful engines though.

Great work on this Cooper! This is the first I have seen a cab forward design. I never knew they existed until now and I am really glad you took on this difficult challenge. Great work on the boiler details and getting the power functions elements in there is always great. I would love to see video of this running sometime!

Great work! :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

One word: top-notch.

I must admit, just like most of the other guys around here, I wasn't even aware that similar engines actually existed. Absolutely brilliant - both the idea, and the MOC itself.

I have already praised this one on Flickr but I feel it deserves some more. I was also one of those clueless folk who had never heard of a cab forward before so I will be researching into that as soon as I have time. I have never seen one in Lego before so I would say making this one was a brave and successful move!

I must admit, just like most of the other guys around here, I wasn't even aware that similar engines actually existed. Absolutely brilliant - both the idea, and the MOC itself.
I was also one of those clueless folk who had never heard of a cab forward before so I will be researching into that as soon as I have time. I have never seen one in Lego before so I would say making this one was a brave and successful move!

Thanks guys. :blush:

I can't profess a long term knowledge of the Southern Pacific Cab Forwards either. That said, once I saw them, I was really drawn to both the configuration and the elegant nature of the cabs. They almost have a modern steam feel. :wub: Once you see the design and read a little about how much the Southern Pacific relied on this style of steam engine, it is rather surprising (to me at least) that other rail lines did not follow suit over the 55 year history of the SP Cab Forwards (1901-1956).

alright cooper!

you stepped up to the plate to take on this engine. I've been waiting for someone to build a model of the cab forward which are almost a trademark of the southern pacific.

excellent job

Lego Cab Forward in 2006.

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=28316&t=f&v=a

Also shows pic of earlier version from someone else.

My version in 2007

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=28729&t=f&v=a

I rebuilt the boiler in early 2008.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=410164

Bruce

Bruce,

Too bad brickshelf is so up and down lately. However, it still is really interesting to see that Cab Forward builds go back to the 2006 timeframe.

BTW, Bill Ward posted a photo of your Cab Forward to my flickr stream. Really nice to see that others have taken this on. Hopefully I'll make it out to a BayLUG meeting sometime soon.

Dave

Bruce,

Too bad brickshelf is so up and down lately. However, it still is really interesting to see that Cab Forward builds go back to the 2006 timeframe.

BTW, Bill Ward posted a photo of your Cab Forward to my flickr stream. Really nice to see that others have taken this on. Hopefully I'll make it out to a BayLUG meeting sometime soon.

Dave

My Cab Forward pics are on Flickr now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lego_bruce/se...57622729769857/

Bruce