• Awful
  2. 2. What do you think of the review?

• Great
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Awful

indexed.gif

Hi. This is my eighth Star Wars review and it features: the 30005 Imperial Speeder Bike!

Theme: Star Wars (ROTJ)

No of pieces: 29 (excluding fig)

Release Date: 2009

Minifigs: 1

RRP when released: Free (promotional set)

Bricklink

Brickset

c002.jpg

This set is based on a custom vehicle from the minds of TLG. It has never been seen in any of the films or EU, to my knowledge. It appears to be a small, one-man speeder bike that is apparently Endor-themed, looking at the background of the picture on the bag and instructions.

Instructions

c004.jpg

This is the front cover of the miniscule instruction booklet. It shows the vehicle whizzing along through the dense forests of Endor's moon.

c005.jpg

c006.jpg

The instuctions are printed on both sides of the paper, as well as a small advert for LEGO.com and two of this years Original Trilogy sets: 7749 Echo Base and 8038 The Battle of Endor.

Build

c003.jpg

These are the 29 pieces that make up the vehicle, as well as the stormtrooper on the left. They are mostly ordinary pieces, but there are some that I didn't have already such as the two axes.

c008.jpg

At stage three in the build, the model will look like this. The base of the speeder has been assembled, but it doesn't look like much yet.

c009.jpg

By stage six of ten, handlebars have been added as well as a small engine on the back.

c010.jpg

The finished product looks like this. The axes are clipped onto the sides and the front has been nicely built up.

Vehicle

c013.jpg

From the front, you can see that the pilot has a clear view ahead. If the binocular pieces are supposed to be guns, they aim at the ground, so would be quite ineffective unless the target was lying down. I expect they're just for detail.

c014.jpg

Looking at the back, we can see the small exhaust mounted on the back. The axes, so the instructions say, should be pointed towards the ground. Maybe this vehicle is supposed to be some kind of Imperial Lawnmower?

c012.jpg

The side view shows off the vehicles perfect shape. The front tilts down, much like a Swoop bike, and the axes are held on the sides. The stormie riding the bike cannot hold the handlebars, unfortunately. They're just there to rest his arms on.

c011.jpg

And off he goes into the jungle. Maybe a tree has fallen on the road and is blocking traffic. This Woodcutter trooper is off to clear the way with his two little axes.

Minifigure

c007.jpg

Being such a tiny set, it only includes on basic minifigure: a good old stormtrooper. I don't have many of these, being a PT fan, so another one was nice to add to my small collection. As he's a speeder pilot, he's not equipped with any kind of weapon, apart from his axes of course. Perhaps he's descended from the Dwarves theme?

Ratings and thoughts

Build: 5/10 - Simple and quick, as you'd expect from a small set like this. It wasn't boring or repetitive so it gets a good score.

Minifigures: 4/10 - As nice as this stormie is, a scout trooper might have been more appropriate and more appreciated by some people.

Playability: 4/10 - There isn't much to do with this set but swoosh it.

Design: 7/10 - It does a little odd, but it fits in with the design of the other 74-Z speeder bikes the Endor sets have included, and the handlebars are quite nice too.

Price: 10/10 - All this little beauty cost was 65p for the newspaper!

Overall: 30/50 - A wonderful little promo that I'm sure will be very popular among Star Wars LEGO fans.

And to finish: a shot of him terrorizing a poor Ewok!

c016.jpg

Thanks for looking, everybody. Comments welcome, as always.

Edited by BoneyT

Great review ADHO15! :thumbup: I picked up a few of these, and was planning to make a review before I read this. :tongue:

All of my ones had misprinted stromies, with that black line a little to high. :look: I think LEGO were getting rid of seconds from the factories in the form of promos. :sadnew:

Edited by Jammiedodger714

Thanks for sharing this with us.

This is one nice miniature speeder bike, that is nice, and it will be even better if it was a scout trooper instead. :tongue:

Then again, for such an incredible offer, a stormtrooper is suffice for this polybag. I can imagine a few of these, being used in the Endor Battle scene.

Dah you've beaten me to it. I just finished taking my pics, might as well review them as a set now to add some variety to the reviews.

Anyway, nice review :thumbup:. This set turned out nicer than I first expected. I thought the axes were supposed to be guns of some sort :look:. I too was delighted with the unusual pieces (for a SW set) such as the axes.

Great review :thumbup:

I'm planning to frontpage the discussion and this review within a few hours.

Just got a few things to do first.

(includes playdough and my daughter)

What I don't understand is why Lego didn't just include a regular Speeder Bike? While I love Lego, sometimes I don't understand the things they do. :tongue:

Nice review for a small set, how this.

I just want this set, but unfortunately I live in Germany and there is this set not available. :cry_sad:

How would I get my hands on one of these? Because stormies are always nice!

Great review, it can be hard to review such a small set without making it incredibly short.

Annd the starting price is 12 bucks on bricklink! :hmpf:

Well, thanks for the review anyway! Maybe someday they'll come to America!

Great review! The set doesn't look nearly as bad as a thought it would. I guess you could push the axes back to give the speeder more length.

Can Stormie grip the handlebars if you turn them up and put his hands upside down?

I've decided to send off for these by post, which if the City promo was anything to go by means a few weeks' wait. :hmpf_bad:

Great review ADHO15! :thumbup: I picked up a few of these, and was planning to make a review before I read this. :tongue:

All of my ones had misprinted stromies, with that black line a little to high. :look: I think LEGO were getting rid of seconds from the factories in the form of promos. :sadnew:

Thank you very much, Jammiedodger. :sweet:

Too bad about yours. Now that you mention it, mine does look a tiny bit higher than it should do.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

This is one nice miniature speeder bike, that is nice, and it will be even better if it was a scout trooper instead. :tongue:

Then again, for such an incredible offer, a stormtrooper is suffice for this polybag. I can imagine a few of these, being used in the Endor Battle scene.

No problem, WhiteFang. :classic:

I wasn't too bothered about it being a stormie as I only have 4 (3 new & 1 old). I wouldn't have minded at all if it had been a scout trooper, though.

Dah you've beaten me to it. I just finished taking my pics, might as well review them as a set now to add some variety to the reviews.

Anyway, nice review :thumbup:. This set turned out nicer than I first expected. I thought the axes were supposed to be guns of some sort :look:. I too was delighted with the unusual pieces (for a SW set) such as the axes.

:tongue: Sorry, Skipper.

Thank you. I agree. It was my least favourite when I first saw it, but now it's here, it's not too bad.

Great review :thumbup:

I'm planning to frontpage the discussion and this review within a few hours.

Just got a few things to do first.

(includes playdough and my daughter)

Thank you, KimT.

I've never been on the frontpage before. Exciting! :grin:

What I don't understand is why Lego didn't just include a regular Speeder Bike? While I love Lego, sometimes I don't understand the things they do. :tongue:

I probably would have preferred another 74-Z, but I do already have three, so I'm not too bothered. :laugh:

Nice review for a small set, how this.

I just want this set, but unfortunately I live in Germany and there is this set not available. :cry_sad:

Thanks, Jonas. I'm sure they'll be available elsewhere eventually. It's not like the UK to have exclusive sets (at least not as far as I know).

How would I get my hands on one of these? Because stormies are always nice!

Great review, it can be hard to review such a small set without making it incredibly short.

Ta, kill will. There are already a few on Bricklink if you were wanting one now. :wink:

And the starting price is 12 bucks on bricklink! :hmpf:

Well, thanks for the review anyway! Maybe someday they'll come to America!

It was over 14 when I looked. :tongue:

My pleasure, Legolas.

Great review! The set doesn't look nearly as bad as a thought it would. I guess you could push the axes back to give the speeder more length.

Can Stormie grip the handlebars if you turn them up and put his hands upside down?

I've decided to send off for these by post, which if the City promo was anything to go by means a few weeks' wait. :hmpf_bad:

Thanks a lot, Rufus. I tried the handlebar thing, but because of the 'trigger' part of the gun shape, you can't tilt them far enough forward. :sad:

The paper said to allow 28 days after the closing date, so they could be a while.

Thanks for the review ADHO15! :classic:

The speeder bike still looks funny to me, but I can live with it. :tongue:

But I really like the bag that the set is packaged in. I don't know why, but full color printed bags just look so cool to me (the V-19 and General Grievious' Starfighter minis had cool printed bags too). :grin:

Will we be seeing reviews of the other exclusive mini sets and the other things (poster, box, stickers)? :sweet:

Edited by ILikePi

Thanks for the great review ADHO15 :thumbup: . Wow... this looks actually A LOT better than I thought from the pics of cache :thumbup: . In those pics the speeder looked way to fat at the sides but in your review it looks incredibly good :cry_happy: . It is a shame I don´t live in the UK, I want this promo sets ><!!!!!!!!

Good review :thumbup:

I wish I could lay my hands on a few of these right now..........but I can't........so I guess I will go sit in the corner and cry :pir_bawling:

Sniff, Sniff

Thank you very much for this great review, ADHO15! :thumbup:

But this is mo this is an

awful

set.

Cons:

-wrong minifigure (it has to be a Scout Trooper and not a Stromtrooper) :wacko:

-deformed design :sick:

I really don't understand why TLG didn't design a real Speederbike (like the awesome one in the brilliant 8038) and insclude a Scout Trooper. :thumbdown:

Btw: Where is this set available for free?

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I really don't understand why TLG didn't design a real Speederbike (like the awesome one in the brilliant 8038) and insclude a Scout Trooper. :thumbdown:

I agree that it should have been a Scout trooper, I'm guessing they used a Stormtrooper for marquee value. The reason they didn't use a proper speederbike is because this is a free set, with very few pieces. Including more would have bumped the manufacture costs up a lot. I mentioned in the other topic that I don't think this is a brilliant set, but for free, you can't really complain.

Assuming you missed the topic about it, they're being giving away in the UK for purchasing the Daily Mirror (or Record in Scotland).

You just collect the token from the newspaper and trade it in.

Great review and especially great set! They might not be canon, but they do resemble the Mobquet Flare-S swoopbikes. I can well imagine these swoops in the Imperial army.

Oh well, someone will probably declare me crazy, but not living in England or Scotland, and this being the only one of the promo sets I really like, just bought 5 of them on e-Bay, for less than the quoted Bricklink price at least. Well worth it, in my opinion!

----------------

Now playing: Nine Inch Nails - Something I Can Never Have

Edited by Alldarker

Thanks for the review ADHO15! :classic:

The speeder bike still looks funny to me, but I can live with it. :tongue:

But I really like the bag that the set is packaged in. I don't know why, but full color printed bags just look so cool to me (the V-19 and General Grievious' Starfighter minis had cool printed bags too). :grin:

Will we be seeing reviews of the other exclusive mini sets and the other things (poster, box, stickers)? :sweet:

No problem, Pi. :classic:

I'll certainly try to get my hands on the other two promos, but I'm not interested in the MINIs. I'll be sure to get the poster and stickers too. Keep your eye out for some more reviews. :wink:

Thanks for the great review ADHO15 :thumbup: . Wow... this looks actually A LOT better than I thought from the pics of cache :thumbup: . In those pics the speeder looked way to fat at the sides but in your review it looks incredibly good :cry_happy: . It is a shame I don´t live in the UK, I want this promo sets ><!!!!!!!!

You're very welcome, darkrebellion.

Sorry I've persuaded you to get it when you can't. :grin:

Good review :thumbup:

I wish I could lay my hands on a few of these right now..........but I can't........so I guess I will go sit in the corner and cry :pir_bawling:

Sniff, Sniff

Thank you, Ratshot.

There's always Bricklink if you really wanted one.

Thank you very much for this great review, ADHO15! :thumbup:

But this is mo this is an

awful

set.

Cons:

-wrong minifigure (it has to be a Scout Trooper and not a Stromtrooper) :wacko:

-deformed design :sick:

Btw: Where is this set available for free?

Klaus-Dieter

My pleasure, Klaus. :sweet:

I agree with your cons, although not as strongly as you. :laugh:

Great review and especially great set! They might not be canon, but they do resemble the Mobquet Flare-S swoopbikes. I can well imagine these swoops in the Imperial army.

Oh well, someone will probably declare me crazy, but not living in England or Scotland, and this being the only one of the promo sets I really like, just bought 5 of them on e-Bay, for less than the quoted Bricklink price at least. Well worth it, in my opinion!

Ta, Alldarker. That may very well have been TLG's inspiration for the vehicle.

Good for you. :thumbup:

And by the way, thank you to those two people who gave my review a 'poor' without telling me how to improve it. That's why I put the poll there. If you're going to put my reviews down, at least give me some constructive criticism to help me with my next.

Edited by ADHO15

And by the way, thank you to those two people who gave my review a 'poor' without telling me how to improve it. That's why I put the poll there. If you're going to put my reviews down, at least give me some constructive criticism to help me with my next.
Going by the Eleven people who say it is a great review (including myself), I would have to say those two votes don't count. :wink:

Going by the Eleven people who say it is a great review (including myself), I would have to say those two votes don't count. :wink:

Thanks a lot, booger. :sweet: It doesn't fill me with confidence, though, that I'm on my eighth Star Wars review and am still getting 'poor'. I know the pictures aren't the best, but as it doesn't have to be Academy-standards in this forum, I didn't bother editing each one. Is it my descriptions? Are they not detailed enough? Or is it my jokes? Are they not funny? What is it?

Please help me improve my reviews if you think they're not good enough. Thanks again to all those nice people who thought it was. :wink:

Edited by ADHO15

Nice review, I wish these were available in the US, LEGO sure raised the bar with free promo sets, a free stormie, who would have guessed.

Nice review, I wish these were available in the US, LEGO sure raised the bar with free promo sets, a free stormie, who would have guessed.

Thank you, Big Cam. I was amazed when I first saw them too.

You got the new minis first, and now we have them. We have the promos first, so I'm sure you will get them eventually. :classic:

Good Review ADHO15.

The speeder is good, although the first picture (unless the paper is bad quality) needs better lighting.

Good Review overall, for such a small set I think you made the read worthwhile! :thumbup:

Good Review ADHO15.

The speeder is good, although the first picture (unless the paper is bad quality) needs better lighting.

Good Review overall, for such a small set I think you made the read worthwhile! :thumbup:

Thanks, Delta. :classic:

I know, but it isn't light much here anymore. :tongue: I'll edit them sometime.

Thanks a lot. :sweet: