Sign in to follow this  
Inconspicuous

[MOC]: The Mines of Moria

indexed.gif

Hi everyone! A few years ago, I started a project called "Lord of the Legos", in which I built scenes from the books and took photos of them. I abandoned the project after I finished Book 2, and finally got interested in it again. I decided to try to build the most detailed scene yet, and I decided on the Mines of Moria. I really wanted to capture the feeling of the dark mines with skeletons and cobwebs. (my gray drawer will never be the same :grin: ) More pictures (including minifig shots) can be found in the gallery.

img_7079_-_copy.jpg

Gallery Link

I only had 3 trolls, so I made a few mock trolls :grin: I accept troll donations in 5's, 10's, and 20's. :tongue:

I'd love to get some feedback, as this is my first "real" MOC!

This MOC is awesome! Very detailed!

By the way, are the capes dark green, or is it just the lighting?

Hurray! A LOTR MOC :cry_happy:

Well done, and it looks very movie accurate!

I like the dwarve skeletons at the entrance and the mix between smooth dwarve architecture and rough ruined sections.

This really makes me want to do a LOTR MOC :classic:

Great MOC and details. Like many large MOC like this ... photos just don't do it justice. You really need to be standing there live to get a good appreciation of it but from what can be seen in the photos it is a great MOC.

Only thing for me is that Legolas don't look very elvish.

By the way, are the capes dark green, or is it just the lighting?

Yes, as a matter of fact they are! Legolas', Gandalf's, Boromir's, and the Hobbits' capes are all custom made. Legolas' and Gandalf's capes are two different shades of blue, Boromir's is maroon, and the Hobbits' are dark green. I got these on Ebay a while ago, and couldn't find a use for them until now. I have a few extra if anyone's interested. :grin:

Only thing for me is that Legolas don't look very elvish.

This was something I thought about for a while, but I just couldn't find a solution. A Brickforge longbow might do the trick, but I haven't ordered anything yet. If you have any ideas, let me know!

Thanks for the nice comments, guys! :cry_happy: I'm thinking about posting my old pictures here as well!

Lovely work! I love how all the cavernous chambers are interconnected with traps and so on. It definitely adds to the adventurous feel!

I really love the way you created this scene. In fact, it reminds me of the exact scene which I was a kid, playing Gameboy Advance, and one of the stages featured the Mines Of Morica exactly similar to the one I play. Well done, I love this moc and it captured the feeling very well. :thumbup:

This was something I thought about for a while, but I just couldn't find a solution. A Brickforge longbow might do the trick, but I haven't ordered anything yet. If you have any ideas, let me know!

I saw some really good custom elves lately on EB. These are female elves but I'm sure you can get some ideas for making Legolas more elvish. I downloaded those decals and is in the process of trying to figure out how to get some decal paper in NZ and I also want to modify the drow to be black complexion with white hair.

I'm not sure what the proper way to link to another EB thread is but here is an attempt LINK

I saw some really good custom elves lately on EB. These are female elves but I'm sure you can get some ideas for making Legolas more elvish. I downloaded those decals and is in the process of trying to figure out how to get some decal paper in NZ and I also want to modify the drow to be black complexion with white hair.

I'm not sure what the proper way to link to another EB thread is but here is an attempt LINK

Thanks for the link (Yay, it works!) I have absolutely no experience with customizing decals/printing decals, so I think this might be a little out of the picture, but it definitely makes you think. :sceptic: I guess I should find a better torso and head.

I'd like to start doing another MOC (Yes, that means wrecking the Mines :cry_sad: ) but I'm unsure about what to do. I'm familiar with the whole series, so start submitting your ideas anytime. :classic:

Wow, that's a great MOC, very detailed too. :thumbup:

Is the horn/banana an existing piece or did you paint it?

Is the horn/banana an existing piece or did you paint it?

Yes, it is an existing piece. It's used as the Hungarian Horntail's claws in 4767.

Edited by Inconspicuous

That's pretty awesome. I like the skeletons, webs, and gear lying around. Nicely detailed.

If you could do something like the Siege of Gondor, that would be cool. Specifically in the city walls.

Very nice! I like that you built a part of the mines other than Balin's Tomb. While that would have been neat too, it's what most other people build.

You've done well in capturing the desperate flight of the fellowship, and the corridor looks satisfactorily worn down. One thing I don't like is the way you've used dark grey on the top right wall. You've spread dark grey roughly throughout the rest of the creation, so having a straight line of it there looks odd.

For future projects, one idea would be a section of the battle for Osgiliath. You could decide how big you wanted it depending on your collection, and wouldn't have many restrictions as to how it needs to look.

Thanks for the link (Yay, it works!) I have absolutely no experience with customizing decals/printing decals, so I think this might be a little out of the picture, but it definitely makes you think. :sceptic: I guess I should find a better torso and head.

I'd like to start doing another MOC (Yes, that means wrecking the Mines :cry_sad: ) but I'm unsure about what to do. I'm familiar with the whole series, so start submitting your ideas anytime. :classic:

Here's a link to a thread about potential sets if Lego was ever to get the LOTR license. Link

There should be plenty of ideas there for another LoTR MOC. I'm looking forward to what you come up with. If this MOC is anything to go by then it should be another great MOC.

Very nice! I like that you built a part of the mines other than Balin's Tomb. While that would have been neat too, it's what most other people build.

I built Balin's tomb a few years ago, as a part of my Lord of the Legos project. The room was way too small, but I had a hole in the ceiling and shined a flashlight on the tomb, which had an amazing effect! :wub: I attempted a Bridge of Khaza-dum as well, but using a Dino Attack pterodactyl as a Balrog didn't quite work. :tongue: I had already built the door scene, but I still wanted to build something new from the mines, so I decided to make a random room vaguely based off of this scene from the movie.

moria.jpg

One thing I don't like is the way you've used dark grey on the top right wall. You've spread dark grey roughly throughout the rest of the creation, so having a straight line of it there looks odd.

I actually threw on the two side rooms on as an afterthought, because I wanted to add to the intricate, cavernous feel. I ran out of light gray at the end, and the top is last, so I hope you understand. :tongue:

For future projects, one idea would be a section of the battle for Osgiliath. You could decide how big you wanted it depending on your collection, and wouldn't have many restrictions as to how it needs to look.

That is a very good idea! I love building run-down castle-like buildings, so this is perfect! I think I've found my next MOC! :cry_happy: Thanks for the idea!

This is great! I like all the spider webs and the overall look of the moc. The door leaning sideways is a really nice touch. Great work.

A very well thought-out MOC with some incredibly scenes :oh: .

I love how you've made the Fellowship minifigs and if you didn't tell you've used some MOC Orcs, I wouldn't even have noticed it (unless I accidentally looked at their hands).

Personally, I am a true Lord of the Rings fan and I really enjoy to see LEGO LOTS MOCs, certainly when they are as large and well-executed like yours.

Well done, and keep up the good work :thumbup: .