Sign in to follow this  
White Knight

Question about Mast pieces

Hi everyone, I've been ordering pieces of bricklink over the last few days to start on my first ship, which I've wanted to build for awhile. I have a question on mast pieces, since I've never owned any myself, so I don't know what's what.

I'm planning on my ship having 3 masts, so taking into account the lengths of the fore, main and mizzen mast, and a bowsprit, what pieces would I need?

Im assuming 3 bases (short/long?) then 3 mid sections, then 3 top sections (short/long?), then the bowsprit.

Thanks.

Edit: I should also mention, its going to be a full rigged ship.

Edited by White Knight

Im assuming 3 bases (short/long?) then 3 mid sections, then 3 top sections (short/long?), then the bowsprit.

The end one should have a short base and the middle should have the tallest and the front All longs.

Ok, so thats 2 long bases and 1 short, 3 mid sections, and the tops all longs? Does the connector prong at the bottom matter or not? I wouldnt think so if you can buy it either way.

Ok, so thats 2 long bases and 1 short, 3 mid sections, and the tops all longs? Does the connector prong at the bottom matter or not? I wouldnt think so if you can buy it either way.

The connector prong is just there for extra strength for holding it inplace, you dont really need it. I have both versions.

Hi everyone, I've been ordering pieces of bricklink over the last few days to start on my first ship, which I've wanted to build for awhile. I have a question on mast pieces, since I've never owned any myself, so I don't know what's what.

I'm planning on my ship having 3 masts, so taking into account the lengths of the fore, main and mizzen mast, and a bowsprit, what pieces would I need?

Thanks.

Edit: I should also mention, its going to be a full rigged ship.

Well, there are a few factors you should take in concideration. For example, what size would your ship be? And what is the widest part (stud wise). You can place a mast that is 2 times as long as your ship, but this wouldnt look that good nor is it efficient for sailing. So you should be save with the full length of your ship to a maximum of 1/2 extra length. For bowsprit you should take no more then half your ship lenth as maximum, but even that may be already to long in some cases! So basicly you should buy a lot of material in advance before you start out, just in case. Also do know that the new pirate line does NOT have the same masts as the orriginal theme, so take note of that and study these parts in advance! where the new Pirate theme uses about 2 mast parts max, the old has 6+ different parts! So do check the masts out just to be sure! Also the rigging comes in different shapes and sizes! For Sails this counts the same, also a lot of different sails to go with, but you can always create your own sails!

Creating your own sails usually can be done by using official ones and use the outlines of that to draw your own sails on cloth, paper, or what ever you wish to use! To make it look older and more worn, you could rip open the coffee pads and use the stuff to lay your new sails in. let it dry for atleast a full day and your sails look old and worn!

Creating your own rigging can be done several ways, you could for example use only thin ropes and try that out. But you can also use some sticks as thin as lego bars (like the light saber bars) and use those as horizontal parts and the rest thin rope!

Creating your own masts will most of the time fail since you will not have a mountage point for them unless you start melting your own masts in plastic and experiment with that, best way is to study the masts and get some of that.

Check here to find official buildingplans for your ship, they may help out with your first ship :pir_laugh2:

I would suggest you build brickbuilt masts with 2 x 2 bricks to find the heights you want. Then you can work out what part combination comes closest to that - I'd tell you exactly the height of each mast section, but I'm away from my LEGO at the moment. But test it out before you spend any money, and keep us posted on your ship progress!

And welcome to Eurobricks, I'm sure you'll have a great time here! :pir-classic:

P.S. Keep an eye on Classic-Pirates.com for daily updates on fresh news, MOCs, announcements and information on LEGO Pirates!

If you are going to build an accurate ship, the standard masts are simply too short.

The main mast should always be about as long as the ship is over the sterns.

I always use this part for the bases of my masts, usually 2 on top of eachother depending on the length of the hull. The from the first platform up i use the standard masts, long bases for the front and main, short base for the mizzen.

Hope that helps?

The connector prong is just there for extra strength for holding it inplace, you dont really need it. I have both versions.

Okay, thats good to know.

Well, there are a few factors you should take in concideration. For example, what size would your ship be? And what is the widest part (stud wise). You can place a mast that is 2 times as long as your ship, but this wouldnt look that good nor is it efficient for sailing. So you should be save with the full length of your ship to a maximum of 1/2 extra length. For bowsprit you should take no more then half your ship lenth as maximum, but even that may be already to long in some cases! So basicly you should buy a lot of material in advance before you start out, just in case. Also do know that the new pirate line does NOT have the same masts as the orriginal theme, so take note of that and study these parts in advance! where the new Pirate theme uses about 2 mast parts max, the old has 6+ different parts! So do check the masts out just to be sure! Also the rigging comes in different shapes and sizes! For Sails this counts the same, also a lot of different sails to go with, but you can always create your own sails!

I will keep those lengths in mind, and I am planning on making my own sails and rigging.

I would suggest you build brickbuilt masts with 2 x 2 bricks to find the heights you want. Then you can work out what part combination comes closest to that - I'd tell you exactly the height of each mast section, but I'm away from my LEGO at the moment. But test it out before you spend any money, and keep us posted on your ship progress!

And welcome to Eurobricks, I'm sure you'll have a great time here!

P.S. Keep an eye on Classic-Pirates.com for daily updates on fresh news, MOCs, announcements and information on LEGO Pirates!

I might look up the measurements on peeron or bricklink, so I can do as you said there.

If you are going to build an accurate ship, the standard masts are simply too short.

The main mast should always be about as long as the ship is over the sterns.

I always use this part for the bases of my masts, usually 2 on top of eachother depending on the length of the hull. The from the first platform up i use the standard masts, long bases for the front and main, short base for the mizzen.

Hope that helps?

I know I have those pieces in white, I should probably get a few in black for that reason. Is that what you did for La Mort Royal? I've been looking at that ship for inspiration, also looking at your rigging tutorial, and the ship building lesson.

Thanks everyone.

I know I have those pieces in white, I should probably get a few in black for that reason. Is that what you did for La Mort Royal? I've been looking at that ship for inspiration, also looking at your rigging tutorial, and the ship building lesson.

Yes i used those in black on La Mort royal, i will also use them on the frigate i'm building.

Good luck on yours! :thumbup:

I will keep those lengths in mind, and I am planning on making my own sails and rigging.

well, in that case you just need to find the correct masts for your project, and this can be project specific.

So choose wisely in this. Best way is to try several things in this so you can see what is best for your

project.

it might also be a good idea to put in technic axles in the centers of the 2x2x11 columns; if anything, theyll stave off the inevitable snapping of the masts during rigging

getting the longer ones may be too expensive, so using a combination of short axles 4-8L should give some stability (assuming you use the columns with the pin holes)