Sign in to follow this  
Rijkvv

Coupling

traintech1.jpg

I want to build a new passenger train. To make it more realistic I want the train cars pushed together. I've seen many solutions, most of them with rubber belts. I don't want to use rubber belts, so I designed something in MLCad:

-link

-link

What I want: since I don't have some of the required pieces, I kindly want to ask anybody if you want to help me and test if this coupling works. If the walking corridors (like in the Metroliner and Santa Fe) are pushed together, but if a train with this can run smoothly over curves and points. I want it to be used with this part. Not exactly, but the truck distance is the same. I noticed the turntable needs an additional plate for this base. If anyone would test it for me, I would be a very happy man. Details (for example building instructions) can be handled with PM. Other similar solutions are also welcome.

Interesting question Richie. I don't think I have the pieces needed to try this design, but perhaps some of the other train fans have tried different techniques in regard to "coupling". I'm sure one or more of them have tried a creative design.

Anyone?

With regular boogies and magnets you can make them with 2 sstuds in between the cars, i'd just go with that as it has a high playabilaty and realistic look.

Where would you place the edges of the cars on your coupling i wonder? As the edges of the cars make up the space in between and the turning range i think?

Thanks for thinking with me. :classic: I've experimented a little bit. I used the train baseplates I mentioned in my first post. The trucks stayed the same, but I used a (much weaker) solution to fit them to each other. The turntables were raised by one plate. This is what I mean. It works in normal corners, but there are two things I'm worried about. The most important thing are S-curves. Like in points. Regular S-curves don't work, but I don't have points, and maybe points do work. It has to do with the overhang, if you know what I mean.

Other solutions are also welcome, but I'm not gonna use rubber belts, and I don't want the spring pieces built in the car itself.

*Edit: I now shortened the coupling with two studs (the 3x2 plates with hole closer to the truck). It still can't fit in a S-curve.

@Captain Green Blue Hair: I hope you now have an answer at your question. The turning points stay the same as with regular boogies.

Edited by Richie