Year: 2009

Pieces: 1

Minifigs: 0

Bonuses: Red Ninja Sticker

Price: AU$19.00 20% off $15.20

Boys Sizes: 3 - 8

Resources: Kmart Catalouge, Page 3

Introduction:

I (and a few others) am a strong believer in Reviewing every Lego product I have whether it be a Cookie Cutter, a Toolbox or a Regular Set. There is no exception to the rule and when Svelte pointed out the new kids t-shirts at Kmart, I just knew I had to have one. There is no way I am one of those girls that might fit into boys size 8 (creepy little hobbits) so I am going to make it fit me. It is easily done, I might even show you how. :wink:

Packaging:

02de91ff.jpg

I've included a close up shot of the tag just to prove that this is indeed a Lego product and not some Kmart rip off. The tag included the Lego Logo a minifigure head with reflective shades and the size, 8. (The reasoning behind choosing and 8 rather than 3, 5, etc is because it is the largest size and therefore the largest picture of the Pirate. Mind you, there is only a few centimeters between sizes, but it is enough of a difference.

d5077d61.jpg

Kmart's Outwear/Outgrow Policy reads as a challenge, but does cutting the t-shirt up count? :grin: The price tag shows the regular and after sale price will be $19. Rush out at get yours while the sale is still on.

cbe1db18.jpgbfa87b2c.jpg

The 'design works' tag doubles a sticker.

39f4c28b.jpg

Anyone fancy a red ninja head to stick on your... book? fridge? car? ...

Instructions:

0d281a47.jpg

These are fairly self explanatory.

93324090.jpg

Front:

a89f7002.jpg

I am kind of glad this t-shirt doesn't fit because the LEGO logo, Pirates logo and the Lego Pirate is kind of overkill. It makes me want to say in the voice of Lina Lamont "What do they think I am? Dumb or something?" They could should have put the Lego and Pirate logos on the back. But then I remind myself I am not the uneducated mother of a demanding five year old boy, that will buy the product just because the Logo's are splashed all over it.

Back:

e008bcc9.jpg

Plain, plain, plain, well apart from the Red and White stripes and all.

Detail:

47cd8f11.jpg

A close up shot of the pirate shows us that what you may have thought was white pants are actually a reflective silver. :oh3: I'm not too sure how many boys over the age of five wouldn't be saying "But Mummy! It's all sparkly like a girrrrrls t-shirt! :sick: "

3626b64d.jpg

The Pirates logo, is it just me or does that font make it look like its spelled wrong?

cbbbe7bb.jpg

A skull, that has avoided being stepped on. Maybe it is all the way up there because the Pirate has already kicked it?

5d50f78d.jpg

The Pirates cutlass is also shiny shiny.

acda9bba.jpg

Not too sure if you can tell but some of the silver is creeping over onto the rest of the t-shirt, and adding to the girly sparkle.

Ratings:

Design: 8/10 I think they could have spread out the logos or moved at least one of them to the back and the second skull really isn't necessary, but the actual Pirate is such a handsome fellow and his pose is so... gallant. I love the Red & White stripes, they just scream dress-up pirate, that was a very clever idea from the designers I think.

Price: 7/10 Just because it is a Brand name doesn't mean they have to charge $19 for a kids t-shirt, kids grow so fast the hardly get to wear the same outfit twice and they are too big for it. I wouldn't have paid this much for Amelie to have it if she is only going to get a couple of months wear, but at least I'll get a few good years out of it now.

MOCability: 10/10 The prints are set out far enough apart to salvage all of them, I hope some of you can get your hands on one of these babies and use in an manner becoming to your tastes.

Alternative:

07ae747a.jpg

Firstly start by getting yourself a t-shirt, jumper or jacket (in your size) that has sufficient space for the Pirate to fit on. I looked around for a Red & White striped anything but settled on a Bright Red Pullover Hoodie. It cost me exactly $20 and was also purchased at Kmart.

97ff2a5f.jpg

Get yourself a pair of sharp sewing scissors...

d6411807.jpg

...and start by cutting along the seam.

eb0531c3.jpg

When you get close to the hand, STOP!!! The way the shirt is made, has the edge of the hand sewn into the seam cutting it off a little.

18778d5f.jpg

If you want to keep all of that hand, at this point you need to get out a thread unpicker from your trusty toolbox.

22932453.jpg

Start by pulling the material gently but firmly apart and cut the threads one at a time.

17595096.jpg

When you are done, you can see how much of the hand you would have removed if you kept cutting.

a9ef1472.jpg

Continue with the scissors, leaving a small border of t-shirt material to sew on (leaving the actual print untouched)

f5d12132.jpg

"Hey Kmart! This t-shirt is worn out and I haven't... I meant my kid hasn't even put it on yet! Are you going to replace it or what?"

d3b70e61.jpg

You can also cut out the logos, waste not want not and all that!

8568fdc6.jpg

Now lay out the picture where you want it to be, and pin it into place.

1b85891f.jpg

The skull overlapped into the pocket and it looked silly, so I cut it off. :oh3:

18d63c66.jpg

Now for the hard part, sewing around edge of the print, I used a very close stitch and a red thread.

419ee587.jpg

And this is what the finished product looks like. Oh, oops, looks like something was spilled on the photo. :tongue:

c46863cb.jpg

I didn't end up sewing the Pirate logo on as it looks just swell without it. Now I can use it on a bag or something. I love the deliberateness of the excess Red & White material, I hope it frays a little and looks all raggedy and piratey.

fe4b577d.jpg

And on the back of the hood is Ta Dah! The LEGO logo.

Overall this cost me AU $35.20, and took about 1 + 1/2 hours to make, I might be persuaded to do it again for a price. :pir-tongue:

The End!

I (and a few others) am a strong believer in Reviewing every Lego product I have whether it be a Cookie Cutter, a Toolbox or a Regular Set.

You're a legend Cutlass Iz! We do very much appreciate reviews of non-LEGO, LEGO products. :thumbup:

I'll send this thread to the news department so they can frontpage it in the near future.

Overall this cost me AU $35.20, and took about 1 + 1/2 hours to make, I might be persuaded to do it again for a price. :pir-tongue:

The End!

Boys, form a queue :laugh:

I like that you incorporated the inevitable fraying into the aesthetic of the garment - I agree it will add a Piratey effect :grin:

I also love that they added a sticker in the label - that's a very Lego thing to do - even if the fig looks like a Ninja rather than a Pirate :laugh:

So I take it you wear the hoodie always down? Otherwise wouldn't the Lego logo be upside down when you wore it?

Clever work, Cutlass! Now you're really living up to your user name!

So I take it you wear the hoodie always down? Otherwise wouldn't the Lego logo be upside down when you wore it?

Clever work, Cutlass! Now you're really living up to your user name!

Yes, I wear the hood down, well definitely when I am out, sometimes I wear it up at home where it doesn't really matter if its upside down or not.

Haha! Yeah, this is probably the first time I've posted in the Pirates forum since joining, haha. Pirates were what got me back into Lego :thumbup::pir-wub: but I moved on to HP a little too quickly for my user name's sake.

I might just have to get myself down to Kmart to buy one of these, but not to wear, for keepsake. Then I might have to head to Big W and buy 20 of those Pirate Impulse sets at $4.88...

Erm, that's quite...unique of you? :pir-tongue:

Not sure I would want my kid (if I had one) running around in one of those t-shirts, but that hoodie just oozes cool.

That's completely awesome work Cutlass_Iz! Unfortunately I won't be anywhere near as quick, sewing machines and I just don't get along :pir_bawling: You know that scene in "Office Space", where the guys beat up the fax machine? Well, that's how it is for me and sewing machines...actually there are a whole heap of other machines I could add to the list...but thanks especially for showing the overlap hand bit...I would have for sure just cut into it in my enthusiasm.

Edited by Walrus Keeper

Two thumps up Cutlass Iz! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would never think to cut something from kidsized shirt like this to make "my own T shirt", great idea!

Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed this tute/review.

Hooray for the front page, I am a little embarrassed. :pir-blush:

Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed this tute/review.

Hooray for the front page, I am a little embarrassed. :pir-blush:

Mrs Iz, surely you would have learnt by now that we only put the best of the best on the Classic-Pirates.com frontpage. :pir-wink:

Captain Zuloo is right (for a change :pir-grin: ), when we find something of quality we like to share it with everbody!

That is one fantastic idea! I wouldn't do it to my shirt :pir-blush:, but it's a really good idea! I wish they where in adult sizes, not just little kiddie sizes. :pir-hmpf: Great review, great idea. Keep it up! ~LW 8~

if only the t-shirt comes in plain colors. the stripe makes it look ugly.

that's pretty cool, sewing it to another garment.

i wonder why lego never thinks of selling "iron-on" motives. they would have been quite the hit and sell out fast, i bet! decaling for the fans! lol...

So when do you begin taking orders :pir-wink:

Well my PM box is still empty! Here I was, expecting all the scurvy sea dogs out there would be begging me for one! Hehe! I guess all the silver sparkle talk turned them off. Hehe! Dang it!

Well my PM box is still empty! Here I was, expecting all the scurvy sea dogs out there would be begging me for one! Hehe! I guess all the silver sparkle talk turned them off. Hehe! Dang it!

We'll let's see if I can increase your orders! :pir-tongue: My wife finished mine last week and here's some pics.

DSC02630es.JPG

DSC02634es.JPG

Did you you get your T Shirt from K-Mart too Mr Kept Walrus?

Yes, at the same sale. The Keeper is so happy with the result that she's considering making another one. :pir_laugh2: I hope these sold well enough and they'll consider selling more, or perhaps even some in adult sizes.

We'll let's see if I can increase your orders! :pir-tongue: My wife finished mine last week and here's some pics.

Wow, the quality of the stitching is amazing. It must have been made with love (tee hee hee) (girly giggle). Aagghhh!!!!

The Keeper is so happy with the result that she's considering making another one. :pir_laugh2:

So I be presuming you're also married to "The Keeper" hence the title :pir-grin:

I hope these sold well enough and they'll consider selling more, or perhaps even some in adult sizes.

Have they sold yet? I might grab one but my shopping list for Pirate LEGO and related merchandise is growing quite large of late.

So I be presuming you're also married to "The Keeper" hence the title :pir-grin:

Indeed I am! :pir-sweet:

Have they sold yet? I might grab one but my shopping list for Pirate LEGO and related merchandise is growing quite large of late.

Not sure. We're planning on checking it out on Wednesday.

EDIT: I just checked with the wife. She says Eastlands had loads of them... two weeks ago. We'll see.

Wow, the quality of the stitching is amazing. It must have been made with love (tee hee hee) (girly giggle). Aagghhh!!!!

Yes, you can feel the love in every stitch...

Not sure. We're planning on checking it out on Wednesday.

EDIT: I just checked with the wife. She says Eastlands had loads of them... two weeks ago. We'll see.

You checked with the Walrus Keeper you mean - thanks!

Looks good Walrus and Keeper! Glad to see you got to keep all of the hand. Haha! I want to buy some more too... and have a closer look at the fireman one. It might be salvageable.

Boo! I feel so left out! :pir_bawling:

I'm going to grab the smallest size for my cat!

PS, I love the expression on that Target teddy bear in the first pic, Siegfried :pir_laugh2:

PS, I love the expression on that Target teddy bear in the first pic, Siegfried :pir_laugh2:

I've been having a lot of fun with him! His expression works better in this one. :pir-tongue:

DSC02641es.JPG