146 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Good
    • Outstanding

I was more concerned about here...

Doesn't the 4x1 and 2x1s rub on the outer ring? If I'm wrong I really should be building the base... :tongue:

I think that's why they use the curved log bricks here though - to guide the inner part of the turntable as it goes round, but with less friction than if they used ordinary bricks.

You do have to watch these parts early on in the build, as once you start to switch on the turntable motor, they did tend to pop off. Once everything is in place I haven't noticed this at all.

There seems to be more pressure on the outer rim since the large wheel is quite firmly pushed against the turntable to keep the speed running consistently. The weakest spots build-wise seem to be the 4 wide tan plates, which have a tendency to 'lift and separate' (rather than wear), and the long blue tiled decorative sections in between each of the tan plate sections. They can pop off and drop under the turntable - annoying - but the protesting clicking as they get run over by the wheel acts as an alert!

The great thing about the build is that, up to about where the first post in my review finishes, it's really easy to lift up the whole ring assembly and fish out any parts that have fallen down or adjust any plates that have come loose. I loved this aspect as I am not a natural Technic builder and find it difficult to 'see' errors that might be obvious to more experienced brains. In that sense, the set is flexible - once the horsies and canopy is in place it is much harder to make adjustments without other bits dropping off! :laugh:

I think that's why they use the curved log bricks here though - to guide the inner part of the turntable as it goes round, but with less friction than if they used ordinary bricks.

Gee... I feel bad asking now that you've posted that large explanation... especially since I'm probably going to make it now anyway! It's a quite impressive yet simple solution. :wub:

Gee... I feel bad asking now that you've posted that large explanation... especially since I'm probably going to make it now anyway! It's a quite impressive yet simple solution. :wub:

Long explanations mask poor understanding :wink:

Basically, the log bricks are a guide only and don't really have an effect when the motor is running.

Superb set, bought it for the wife who fell in love with the images on the Lego website. fortunately I paid more than the original price but less than the new Lego price of £166.35.

I do agree about the minifigs which are a lot generic, but the the model itself once built is amazing.

I am having huge issues with the platforms and rotating the carousel. When it runs clockwise its running but "bumpy" as somehow it gets stuck on the sandcolored smooth flat brick going from the engine bit towards the carousel. As soon as I make it run counter clockwise it gets stuck on just about every platform. I rebuilt all the platform bits but no joy. I know I could remove the smooth brick, but it's there for a reason, so I am very reluctant to do that. Any tips/clues and what nots?

I am having huge issues with the platforms and rotating the carousel. When it runs clockwise its running but "bumpy" as somehow it gets stuck on the sandcolored smooth flat brick going from the engine bit towards the carousel. As soon as I make it run counter clockwise it gets stuck on just about every platform. I rebuilt all the platform bits but no joy. I know I could remove the smooth brick, but it's there for a reason, so I am very reluctant to do that. Any tips/clues and what nots?

Same with me! Mine can turn counter-clockwise smoothly but it cannot turn clockwise! I really hope some experts can help!

First thing I discovered with this PITA is that when you build it, you need to do so on a wooden board or something sturdy enough that the 15'x15' baseplate WILL NOT BOW! Seriously, if it bows at all, you need to restart. And yes, whenever I ran mine in reverse, it always stutterred and died. Make sure your technic bits under the rooftop aren't too tight also. Sorry, mine has been parted out at this point, so not much more light I can shed.

Thanks for the tip, will probably have to start over as you are suggesting Stash. Have been building on the dinner table but will see if I can find a 15' by 15' board to put underneath while building.

Also thanks for enabling the pm system. Greatly appreciated !

I had always dismissed this set as out of my price range but the grandiosity you've depicted here certainly makes it seem worth it!

I guess I can wait for Santa to bring one around.

I just thought I would try to help out any of you that are about to build the LEGO Grand Carousel. I just finished and have found some "tweaks" that might save you some exasperating moments.

First, it is true that the base plate is very finicky and will tend to fall apart, BUT there are some things you can do to remedy this. Mine kept falling apart and sticking whenever I tried to have the Carousel rotate. One of the reasons for this seems to be that as you add things to the top of the carousel (the riding figures, the Jester faceplates, the gold starburst faceplates) it tends to droop and this causes problems in the rotation. The bottom base plate no longer clears the LEGO bricks (the dark gray double curved brick, and the dark gray 4 curved brick - the first sit on dark blue 2 by 2 bases, the latter on a 2 by 4 base) that are meant to help the base plate rotate - they sit at the four sides of the center of the carousel, just inside the baseplate, just outside the central core.

Once I removed all four of these "helpers" the carousel was free to move and has not caused me any problem since.

Second, the large gear wheel that moves the base plate was pressing against the baseplate much too hard when I had it attached to the shock absorber. When I detached it from the shock absorber and just let it rest against the base plate on its own accord - the base plate parts held together and the Carousel still turned just fine.

Now I am happy I purchased the Grand Carousel, as it turns and plays music with very little attention. Yes, occasionally a base plate section will loosen, but it is fairly easy to fix - much easier than having to rebuild an entire section - like I had to do before I did my "tweaks".

hey guys, sorry to bring back such an old post.

My soundbrick battery need replacement and could anyone advice which kind of battery I would need to buy. Cheers!