Sign in to follow this  
Luke McAwesome

The Treasure of the Lost Mine: Chapter 1

Hello everyone! :classic:

Today, the first chapter of my new line of story MOCs begins!

(Don't understand what's going on? Check out the profiles of the characters here!)

The Story Begins...

Day: July 4

Time: 7:41 PM

Closing Time for the Salt Lake Tribune Building

James Grady. How to describe him? He's 37 years old, smart, and writes for the rarely read State History section.

Today, also known as Independence Day for us Americans, James finally had a day off. But there's a bad side, his boss has called him in, saying it's urgent, and that he has to discuss his job with him.

The building is almost empty; everyone except his boss has gone home.

chapter_1_1.jpg

He slowly walked to the seats outside the office.

The light by the door was still red. He wasn't allowed in yet.

chapter_1_2.jpg

He sat down and waited.

chapter_1_3.jpg

Ten minutes later, the light flashed green. He stepped into the office to see Mr. Wagner sitting at his desk.

chapter_1_5.jpg

"Ah, James! There you are. Sorry for the wait, I was talking to my wife. She wants me to bring home a bag of potato chips and some sodas. You know, I never really saw the point of soda, it always gives me a stomach ach-"

"Mr. Wagner, you said this was important?"

"Yes, my apologies. Anyway, about your job... Um, how do I put this gently, er, you're going to be fired."

"What?!"

"I'm sorry James, nobody cares about history anymore. We made some statistics and showed that people read the Health section more than the State History section. There's no point in keeping it in the paper anymore."

James glared at him.

"However, James, if you can come up with a good story in one week, you can keep your job. Understand?"

James sighed. "Look, why didn't you tell me this earlier? I would have preferred time instead of having only a week to save my job."

"I really am sorry, James."

chapter_1_7.jpg

James paused at the door.

He turned to leave but looked back at his boss.

"You know, I find it sad that nobody cares about how all of us came to be what we are today. History may not be a current priority, but it is important. And nobody even realizes that everywhere we go, everything we are, there's history somewhere."

"... One week, James. I suggest you start at the library."

"Good night, Mr. Wagner."

chapter_1_8.jpg

He walked out of the office and into the elevator.

chapter_1_9.jpg

Mr. Wagner got up and grabbed his hat, he had to get going or he'd be late for his own party.

"Such a nice, smart, boy. It'd be a real shame if he had to be fired. He's really dedicated," he grimaced.

chapter_1_10.jpg

"One week."

He walked into the next elevator and the building was soon empty once more.

-----

Next chapter to come soon!

Thanks,

-Striker

I really liked this!

It was nice to read, brought the focal points of history to my attention and was well presented.

The pictures were great, the plot was interesting and I want more!

Well done Striker!

~A.S.

I really liked this!

It was nice to read, brought the focal points of history to my attention and was well presented.

The pictures were great, the plot was interesting and I want more!

Well done Striker!

Thanks, and you'll get more soon! :classic:

And some of the pictures are a bit out of focus, though. I was worried people would bomb me for that. :grin:

Thanks, and you'll get more soon! :classic:

And some of the pictures are a bit out of focus, though. I was worried people would bomb me for that. :grin:

Ah, thats no problem, my photography has only just improved and it's still a bit shoddy. Thank god for Brightness and Contrast settings, eh?

I'm looking forward to your next installment!

~A.S.

Heres the story....

On the internet there wasn't much new stuff, and since my July 4th ventures were done, I decided to look at the other themes forum. And then I remembered this. :cry_happy:

Great job! I love the story, and I'm really looking foward to the next "chapter". :thumbup: It's off to a great start, and I can't wait to see the other charectors and MOCs! Great job. :thumbup::cry_happy::classic:

Ah, thats no problem, my photography has only just improved and it's still a bit shoddy. Thank god for Brightness and Contrast settings, eh?

I'm looking forward to your next installment!

Indeed! I'd prefer to get Photoshop one day, from what I hear it's way better than DIP! ... Dip... :laugh:

Heres the story....

On the internet there wasn't much new stuff, and since my July 4th ventures were done, I decided to look at the other themes forum. And then I remembered this.

Great job! I love the story, and I'm really looking foward to the next "chapter". :thumbup: It's off to a great start, and I can't wait to see the other charectors and MOCs! Great job.

Glad you checked it out; thanks! :classic:

-Striker

I don't use photoshop, I use iPhoto editing.

Its easy to do and is part of iPhoto (I use a Mac), and you simply have to upload your pictures, pick one, and edit on the spot.

PhotoShop is waaay to complicated for me :laugh:

~A.S.

pretty good so far, can't wait for the next part! :D

By the way, O HAI you seem familiar :P

pretty good so far, can't wait for the next part! :D

Thanks. And you'll all be seeing it soon enough. :sweet:

By the way, O HAI you seem familiar :P

Let's continue this in PM, we need to talk, Raphy. :grin:

-Striker

Great Job! I can't wait for the next part. Shame on you for releasing such a short first part, now I'm stuck waiting. :tongue:

I very much enjoyed this chapter, although I can't help but think that Wagner is cruelly taunting our hero.

First, that weird business with the 'red/ green' office lights :wacko:

Secondly, despite not having much interest in science, Wagner clearly has 2 books with test-tubes printed on them in his office

Third, although professing sorrow at the short notice, he doesn't actually seem sorrowful enough to do anything about it - like give the reporter more time

Fourth, he sent him to the library to find a science lead? :laugh:

What a cruel, cruel man :sadnew:

I look forward to the next chapter.

I very much enjoyed this chapter, although I can't help but think that Wagner is cruelly taunting our hero.

First, that weird business with the 'red/ green' office lights :wacko:

Secondly, despite not having much interest in science, Wagner clearly has 2 books with test-tubes printed on them in his office

Third, although professing sorrow at the short notice, he doesn't actually seem sorrowful enough to do anything about it - like give the reporter more time

Fourth, he sent him to the library to find a science lead? :laugh:

What a cruel, cruel man :sadnew:

I look forward to the next chapter.

You tease, you! :tongue:

Well, I guess I'll try my best to explain to you, Mr. Clever-Witty-Eggo-Toasting-Chef. :laugh:

1. Red/Green Lights: It saves him money by not hiring a secretary. :wink:

2. Science Books: Er... Good point. You win this round, Svelte!

3. Sorrow For Our Hero: Another good point. :blush:

4. Information: Indeed, if he needs to find out more about history, where else to look other than a library? :wink: (I'm a reader, honestly. Would have been my first choice over the Internet.)

Score:

Svelte: 2

Striker: 2

It's a tie!

Anyway, I just needed something to get the story off it's feet, more or less. You have a good eye, though, Svelte. :wacko: ... It drives me crazy! :laugh:

Curses, foiled again!

-Striker

Edited by Strikerâ„¢

It's been ten days already . . . .

/taps foot

I was gonna do one yesterday, but got held up; I'm going to go take shots right now.