Sign in to follow this  
RTN LNA

RTN goes to Brickworld 2009

1246514081m_DISPLAY.jpg

Stories and photos from my trip to Brickworld!

RTS Zavala was

Nominated for Best Sea Craft

at Brickworld 2009!

AND WON!!

12464909131_THUMB.jpg

And a "Pirates story" just for this forum:

On Saturday (during public hours) I was behind my four tables of MOCs when I heard

"These are Kurt's ships!"

" and there's Kurt!"

(I assume he would not have recognised me if I had not been behind my fleet!)

So he says his name, and I am sure from my blank face he knows it means nothing to me.

Then he says

"Phred"

to which I reply

"Ahh!, Phred!!" (with a BIG smile!)

So again the photos and stories are here:

enjoy

kurt

Edited by RTN LNA

Nice story :pir_laugh2: and those are GREAT ships! Matching color schemes, too. Congrats!

Edited by Admiral M

Congrats on the win! :thumbup:

The fleet sure looks impressive in a line (do you ever arrange them in battle formation, if that is appropriate - I don't know much about naval tactics, particularly after the advent of steampower...?)!

But who is this Pherd you talk of? :pir-grin:

Congrats on the win! :thumbup:

The fleet sure looks impressive in a line (do you ever arrange them in battle formation, if that is appropriate - I don't know much about naval tactics, particularly after the advent of steampower...?)!

But who is this Pherd you talk of? :pir-grin:

Opps!! fix that typo!

thanks BTW!

kurt

RTS Zavala was

Nominated for Best Sea Craft

at Brickworld 2009!

AND WON!!

12464909131_THUMB.jpg

And here be a picture of that fine vessel

1230678546m_SPLASH.jpg

Thank for you taking the time to share your victory with use RTN LNA! :thumbup:

Congratulations Kurt. I saw your ships at Brickworld, and they were really impressive. I did not know that you had won best sea vehicle, but clearly it's well deserved!

It's neat to see some of the ships from the transition from sail to steam, it seems to be a subject rarely covered in LEGO MOCs, and yours is particularly nice.

Yes, he also has a post-civil-war Monitor somewhere, I couldn't find it in that picture but I could be wrong.

Edited by Admiral M

You made it all the way up to Illinois from.... what state is it you are from again? :pir_laugh2:

Congrats! You've definetely earned it (though I don't know what the rest had made for the contest, I suppose it wasn't as good as you things) Very impressive fleet, and ofcourse the steam ship also has a working rudder-thing on the side of it. That's a really nice thing about it :pir-classic:

Yes, he also has a post-civil-war Monitor somewhere, I couldn't find it in that picture but I could be wrong.

???

On that web page:

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/132169

there are thumb nails and links to these two pictures:

12465142193_DISPLAY.jpg

12465140866_DISPLAY.jpg

As to " post-civil-war Monitor"

http://www.mariner.org/monitor/08_legacy/intro_monitor.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passaic_class_monitor

"Though Ericsson's original monitor is well known, it is not commonly understood that it served as a prototype for several other monitors built during the Civil War. In all, including the original Monitor, sixty monitor type ships were constructed during the war, and of these thirty-seven were actually commissioned.

This new batch of monitor-type ships, designed by Ericsson are classed into two classes of vessel: the Passaic Class and the Canonicus Class monitors. Both of these classes were improved and enlarged designs of the original Monitor.

During the course of the war ten Passaic class monitors were built, starting in 1862 with the Passaic followed with the Montauk, Catskill, Patapsco, Lehigh, Sangamon, Weehawken, Nantucket, and Camanche. As a class the Passaic's were remarkably durable, and many saw continued naval service off and on during the remainder of the 19th century.

The Passaic-class ironclad monitors of the U.S. Navy saw service in the U.S. Civil War and the Spanish-American War. The last such monitor was stricken from the Navy List in 1937."

Of coarse I am modeling the Republic of Texas Navy and my monitor is "suppose" to have been built in the late 1840s.

You can read this for: The story behind why Republic of Texas Navy has a monitor.

The story starts after the MOC's photos.

The web site of my RTS LEGITOR a single-turret seagoing monitor

1230707572m_SPLASH.jpg

kurt

There it is, hidden behind that magnificent steamship of yours! I was wondering the story behind that. Nice ship!

I only called it post civil war because it looked like a ship that was built after the 1860's. Thanks for enlightening me.

Edited by Admiral M

Wonderful to see all your ships together like that in all their glorie! :thumbup:

I will make it to Brickworld some day and hopefully see them in real life.

Keep on building RTN!