Captain Green Hair

Build a frigate with Captain Green Hair

Nothing compared to what the total project is going to cost me. :pir_laugh2:

It is even possible to use Greenhair's tumblehome technique on a brickbuilt hull!

I am also using his fantastic technique to grow tomatoes in my garden. Oh and it also gets out any type of stain. Is there nothing this fantastic technique can not do....?

I have decided to start buying pieces in order to build a frigate. I am wondering though if you extend the ship too long without widening it it would look kind of weird. :pir-sceptic: I will be buying most of my parts that I will use as I do not have a very big collection. I was also wondering how brown 1x4 tile looks for planking. I got a ton of it free from the Lego store and I would like to use it for the planking on the deck and railing. I was also wondering the cost of building a frigate from scratch? :pir-classic:

I was also wondering the cost of building a frigate from scratch? :pir-classic:

Since the start of my Grandeur project, I have spent about $300 AUD, and I probably only bought about half the parts for the project, the rest were in my collection. To make a really good, really detailed frigate on prefabs I would suggest it might cost around $600 - $700 AUD.

Thanks capt. Green Hair. Does the Structura change somehow or do i have to build it a bit different than that what you have done if i use those modern bowpieces?

i was wandering in how far this building scheme could be applied to the small hulls, has anybody attemted this yet?

i was wandering in how far this building scheme could be applied to the small hulls, has anybody attemted this yet?

I have started one on small hulls with three mid sections. I haven't gotten very far yet but the hull build up looks really nice. You can see pictures here.The Making of a Fleet

Thanks capt. Green Hair. Does the Structura change somehow or do i have to build it a bit different than that what you have done if i use those modern bowpieces?

I don't think that will be a too drastic change, just try to make it fit. Shouldn't be a hard job. Personally I think the new bowpieces are less realistic then the old ones though. :pir-classic:

I did, but to keep it realistic you shouldn't try to make several gundecks. A small sloop fits perfectly on the small hulls. :pir-classic:

I love the back i might use that type of stern

If i am allowed :pir-sceptic:

It's a tutorial, It's there for you to copy completely.

Since the start of my Grandeur project, I have spent about $300 AUD, and I probably only bought about half the parts for the project, the rest were in my collection. To make a really good, really detailed frigate on prefabs I would suggest it might cost around $600 - $700 AUD.

Seriously? My HMS Unicorn, Which is on Prefabs, which is much much much bigger than a frigate cost £300 which is only $497 AUD! I'm not sure your checking for the best prices if it costs you that much for your Frigate! :pir_laugh2:

Count the pieces in a frigate. :pir-wink:

Le Fourageux, which is a big ship, costs more then I want to know. :pir_laugh2:

I agree the larger ships are disproportionately costly. It is surprising how quickly and with how few parts you can build the Frigate outlined in Captain Green Hair’s tutorial. They still require a number of parts and a few specific ones in number but relative to the large beautiful ship it’s a pretty cost effective size. My larger ships, Venerable, Resolution and Foudroyant all cost way more and require way more parts and time to build.

Count the pieces in a frigate. :pir-wink:

Le Fourageux, which is a big ship, costs more then I want to know. :pir_laugh2:

But the Unicorn has taken well more than 1000 Bricks to build, Are you honestly telling me that a Frigate will need more?! :pir-sceptic:

But the Unicorn has taken well more than 1000 Bricks to build, Are you honestly telling me that a Frigate will need more?! :pir-sceptic:

Depends on how rare some bricks are that you use, if you also want a crew or an interior and on how efficient you buy the stuff on BL.

I've already spent at least 600 euro's on my ship that way :pir-sweet:

Edited by Admiral Croissant

Sorry for the bump, but does anybody have a very accurate list of parts? The Admiral and I would like to know how many of what we need so we can know what we need to buy.

A few questions too, but how well do minifigures sit on this? Is there any room in the Captain's cabin to put little things just for him?

-the General

Sorry for the bump, but does anybody have a very accurate list of parts?

This is the list that Captain Green Hair put in his tutorial.

1 old bowpiece

1 old sternpiece

5 old mid sections

30 2x4 old brown bricks

8 2x3 old brown plates

4 2x2 old brown plates

4 2x10 old brown plates

4 1x2 old brown plates

1 1x8 old brown plate

100 black jumperplates

20 2x2 black tiles

4 1x8 black tiles

20 1x4 black tiles

20 1x2 black tiles

28 black hinges, prefferably old style.

Black plates, a lot and in all sizes...

Some plates in desired colour for the gundeckstripe, and also some 1x2 tiles in that colour. (I choose dark red)

Tan (or grey, or what you prefer) plates in various sizes to make the decks.

More to follow....

I hope this helps.

-

General Redwater

Sorry for the bump, but does anybody have a very accurate list of parts? The Admiral and I would like to know how many of what we need so we can know what we need to buy.

A few questions too, but how well do minifigures sit on this? Is there any room in the Captain's cabin to put little things just for him?

-the General

The list the general has pointed out is the only one I think, and it hasn't been updated.

The choice to make an interior is yours, I never make interiors on these small ships.

Ok, that works. But how many of the large tan and black plates are needed? Just a good guesstimation would be fine. And how much would we need to modify to have an interior of the captain's cabin?

EDIT:

Brown boat hull large bow 12 X 16 X 5: 1 for $2.00

Brown boat hull large stern 14 X 16 X 5: 1 for $1.60

Brown boat hull large middle 8 X 2 1/3: 4 for $20.00, 1 for $5.21

Brown brick 2 X 4: 30 for $4.50

Brown plate 2 X 3: 8 for $0.24

Brown plate 2 X 2: 4 for $0.16

Brown plate 2 X 10: 4 for $0.32

Brown plate 1 X 2: 4 for $0.08

Brown plate 1 X 8: 1 for $0.035

Black plate, modified 1 X 2 with 1 stud (jumper): 100 for $4.00

Black tile 2 X 2 (undetermined type) : 20 for $1.38

Black tile 1 X 4: 20 for $1.20

Black tile 1 X 8: 4 for $0.20

Black tile 1 X 2 (undetermined type) : 20 for $1.53

Black hinge, plate 1 X 2 with 2 fingers: 28 for $1.56

Black hinge, plate 1 X 2 with 3 fingers:26 for $0.26

Red brick 1 X 1: 40 for $0.60

Red brick 1 X 3: 40 for $1.08

Red plate 1 X 6: 40 for $1.60

Black flag 2 X 2 square: 20 for $1.33

Black Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Handle on Side - Type 1 (free ends): 20 for $0.20

Red plate 1 X 2: 20 for $0.10

Black plate 1 X 1: 50 for $1.20

Black plate 1 X 10: 30 for $2.475

Black plate 1 X 2: 50 for $1.50

Black plate 1 X 4: 50 for $1.40

Black plate 1 X 8: 30 for $1.89

Brown minifig, weapon cannon base 2 X 4: 13 for $9.10

Pearl dark gray minifig, weapon cannon shooting: 14 for $16.80

Tan plate 4 X 12: 5 for $1.25

Tan plate 4 X 4: 5 for $0.25

Tan plate 1 X 8: 4 for $0.20

I just found this parts list from Commander Flash in this thread. Is this about all the pieces you used Captain Green Hair?

-the General

Edited by Capt.JohnPaul

Ok, that works. But how many of the large tan and black plates are needed? Just a good guesstimation would be fine. And how much would we need to modify to have an interior of the captain's cabin?

I don't think you know what you are attempting to build here, really.

Shipbuilding generally is one of the most complex undertaking in Lego since they curve in three ways: horizontally, vertically and the tumblehome.

CGH's technique is the best looking, but also by far most complex way of achieving this.

People who build ships using this techniques invest months of their time and hundreds of $.

Based on the fact that your "HMS Thunderer" has been just a slightly modded BB, I would suggest trying a much more simple design first.

If you want a interior, you might want to look at IFS inspired MOCs like this beautiful one by Dutch Treat: LINK

These designs still look good and they can be finished in a reasonable amount of time and don't require a custom rigging which can be quite annoying to make.

-Perfectionist

Seriously? My HMS Unicorn, Which is on Prefabs, which is much much much bigger than a frigate cost £300 which is only $497 AUD! I'm not sure your checking for the best prices if it costs you that much for your Frigate! :pir_laugh2:

only 497 :pir-laugh:

ok, i have been looking at this topic for some time and there hasn't been any updating, I've been waiting to see the full thing before taking the time and money to build it, but there has been no addition since I first saw it!

ok, i have been looking at this topic for some time and there hasn't been any updating, I've been waiting to see the full thing before taking the time and money to build it, but there has been no addition since I first saw it!

No worries! I spoke with captain Blue Hair 2 weeks ago and he is still working on this project. If I remember correctly the ship he's using as a model for this thread is undergoing rigging. I'm sure the captain will post pictures (and I'll remind him once he's back from his holidays).

However, with the current status of this tutorial you should be able to finish your ship. Basically only the other side needs to be build (copied) and next the decks have to be put on (that's not difficult). Final steps are the masts, rigging and sails. For the rigging we have this nice tutorial.

And there's also the making of the HMS Prince of Wales thread. This ship is build by the same techniques as the frigate the captain is using as a model.

Hope this helps!

To confirm what Bonaparte posted, yes she is being rigged.

Rigging takes a lot of time, and I will post it when the rigging is finished.

Then again I will post when the sails are on.

If you have any detailed questions, feel free to ask or drop me a PM, I always reply.

I've completed the rigging, you can check it out here.

Feedback is much appreciated!

I've never rigged anything before so I may not be the best judge, but I think it looks awesome. I just scrolled through your thread start to finish and am impressed. It's really nice of you to take so many step by step pictures for everyone.