Hi,

while waiting for new LDD version including a flex system, here is a new video anticipating my application next release

Hope you like it

Sergio

Hi,

while waiting for new LDD version including a flex system, here is a new video anticipating my application next release

Hope you like it

Sergio

Good work Sergio!

The latest version 0.5.5.3 of the application has just been released and is available for download from

http://staff.polito.it/sergio.reano/

Here is a list of changes:

Added

- Flex tube connection support for many parts including pneumatic. Please note that pneumatics is still not

implemented as animation functionality. Also composed pneumatic parts do not have connections snap

resulting in difficult assembly. Wait for next release...

- Flex Add-And-Continue capabilities to create long and complex flex parts

Fixed

- Editing of flex parts is now more stable and comfortable. Anyway AVOID mixing selection with Flexs

- Even better initial/termination in flexible parts

- Some issues in steering system when multi steers driven by a single axle

- Added an internal defined part for ribbed hose avoiding errors when updating unofficial parts library

Any comment is welcome

Sergio

The latest version 0.5.5.3 of the application has just been released and is available for download from

http://staff.polito.it/sergio.reano/

Here is a list of changes:

Added

- Flex tube connection support for many parts including pneumatic. Please note that pneumatics is still not

implemented as animation functionality. Also composed pneumatic parts do not have connections snap

resulting in difficult assembly. Wait for next release...

- Flex Add-And-Continue capabilities to create long and complex flex parts

Fixed

- Editing of flex parts is now more stable and comfortable. Anyway AVOID mixing selection with Flexs

- Even better initial/termination in flexible parts

- Some issues in steering system when multi steers driven by a single axle

- Added an internal defined part for ribbed hose avoiding errors when updating unofficial parts library

Any comment is welcome

Sergio

I still don't like the way the camera control operates in the version I have here. If you compare it to a cameraman in a TV studio operating a camera, would you see any camera platform in the studio which moved the camera about like that? I certainly don't think so.

It just does not make any sense for the scene to wobble around the whole time like that. Fix it, please. I don't care if your program has capabilities that no other program has, I want to see that it has easy to use camera operations, and preferably even lockable direction control so that I could scroll horizontally or vertically.

I also have a general question about the LDRAW parts library itself: Is there an application that can check my LDRAW parts directory and tell me if there are parts installations that I need to get from the LDRAW site to update my parts library? I don't update the LDRAW library regularly so if the program could detect parts libraries that I need to download and install, that would be great, even if I have to do them manually.

If SR 3D Builder could at least let me know if I need to get LDRAW parts update(s) when it detects a part that my LDRAW library on my computer doesn't have, that would also be great! But I don't know if you can do that with SR 3D Builder?

I still don't like the way the camera control operates in the version I have here. If you compare it to a cameraman in a TV studio operating a camera, would you see any camera platform in the studio which moved the camera about like that? I certainly don't think so.

It just does not make any sense for the scene to wobble around the whole time like that. Fix it, please. I don't care if your program has capabilities that no other program has, I want to see that it has easy to use camera operations, and preferably even lockable direction control so that I could scroll horizontally or vertically.

I also have a general question about the LDRAW parts library itself: Is there an application that can check my LDRAW parts directory and tell me if there are parts installations that I need to get from the LDRAW site to update my parts library? I don't update the LDRAW library regularly so if the program could detect parts libraries that I need to download and install, that would be great, even if I have to do them manually.

If SR 3D Builder could at least let me know if I need to get LDRAW parts update(s) when it detects a part that my LDRAW library on my computer doesn't have, that would also be great! But I don't know if you can do that with SR 3D Builder?

Part library are officially updated 2 or 3 times in a year from lDraw. Anyway, nearly daily some new parts are added to the unofficial parts database.

My application cannot detect it, but at any new release it includes all newly available parts you can find at lDraw.

About camera controls, in my opinion are not that bad. You probably are used with LDD and the difference is noticeable. I don't say one is better than the other: simply they are different.

When I use LDD i find that its camera control is not good for me, starting with the fact you cannot define your own a model rotation center!

That's a lack for me, but I say for me. Many LDD users don't care about it, but for me is a problem, like the fact that it is not so easy to add a brick 'under' another...

but this is just my opinion...

byes

Sergio

@ghyde

I don't think you'll ever convince Sergio to change the controls. People have tried before, but failed. He's just liks it the way it is :laugh:

But I have to agree with you, the interface in SR 3D builder is a bit difficult get used to. It's a pity, because it's a great program, and LDD could use some competition. Seriously!

@ghyde

I don't think you'll ever convince Sergio to change the controls. People have tried before, but failed. He's just liks it the way it is :laugh:

But I have to agree with you, the interface in SR 3D builder is a bit difficult get used to. It's a pity, because it's a great program, and LDD could use some competition. Seriously!

If he fixes the interface problems with it, I might try it again. But if not, sorry, I don't like to use SR 3D Builder. However, I will say this: If he wants a larger potential userbase he must fix the problems with the user interface.

Did you see my thread on the LDD "AtlantisByMe" problem yet? I wonder if LDD's designers are aware of that problem yet?

I have installed the program fully, now how do i open the software, i cant find it anywhere!

Hi,

You should find a program group named SR 3D Builder, and under it the application itself with the uninstall utility.

If not, you probably missed something. Try reinstall it.

Also read the common problem/solution in the official forum.

Sergio

Hi again,

due to the high number of requests, I have added the ability to change some User Interface parameters:

using the View. Preferences.User Interface options you can now:

- Switch between my Rotation model style and the most classical rotation model that allows only rotation around Y plane or around the horizon line

- Invert the zoom mouse wheel direction

- Invert the Y plane tilting

Download the new executable (and overwrite the existing one) from the following link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GQUL5NYR

Sergio

Hi,

You should find a program group named SR 3D Builder, and under it the application itself with the uninstall utility.

Sergio

Hi again,

due to the high number of requests, I have added the ability to change some User Interface parameters:

- Switch between my Rotation model style and the most classical rotation model that allows only rotation around Y plane or around the horizon line

Download the new executable (and overwrite the existing one) from the following link:

Sergio

OK correction to my post: I finally got it downloaded when I came back sometime later. That now works really well, I much prefer the LDD rotation style to the original. I'll try it out some more later!

I think I'm missing some rubber wheel parts, as the wheels on a model I loaded had no hub or tyre parts loaded into the places the original model had for them! I'll look at that later, too. I also see only one rubber tyre component. Maybe I should just remove my LDRAW installation and reinstall the whole library. I don't know for sure yet.

Edited by ghyde

Hi,

Sergio

Hi again,

Sergio

I have found a small problem with the program. It does not currently save my Preferences information, that means I have to setup the rotation mode, etc. all the time when starting it.

Will you implement a save function for Preferences in the next release?

Other than that it's looking like a great program, and the tube tool is great! I would however like to specify the units of length beforehand and constrain the flexing part being generated to that length. This would make it a lot easier to control a flexing operation where I need known lengths of flex tube to fit onto a model.

I also have a question about the flex tool can the tube being formed have more than 2 curves - in other words a compound curve - in it without needing to go through a part first? Or does it need to have a part to go through before more curves can be introduced?

I have found a small problem with the program. It does not currently save my Preferences information, that means I have to setup the rotation mode, etc. all the time when starting it.

Will you implement a save function for Preferences in the next release?

Other than that it's looking like a great program, and the tube tool is great! I would however like to specify the units of length beforehand and constrain the flexing part being generated to that length. This would make it a lot easier to control a flexing operation where I need known lengths of flex tube to fit onto a model.

I also have a question about the flex tool can the tube being formed have more than 2 curves - in other words a compound curve - in it without needing to go through a part first? Or does it need to have a part to go through before more curves can be introduced?

Hi,

Happy you finally like it.

About your questions:

- The save function will be implemented for sure. What you got is just a patch to test the new rotation mode.

- You can actually regulate the tube length size by using QAWS keys to make it short or long, but you still can't fix the length and move the ending part. It will possible when I implement flexible axles and tube animation. Have to wait for this...

- Complex tubes have to be generate by parts. If you create a single tube by a compound curve, then you will not be able to set the tension of each segment causing the whole tube to be shorter o longer. That is not safe when you need a tube that needs to be "near" other parts. Anyway it maybe in a next release that modifying the position of a joint between two tubes both of them will follow the new position (not so easy to do!!)

enjoy building

Sergio

Okay, I decided to give it a try, but I've got a problem. Whenever I start the program, I immediately see a 'Program stopped working' dialog box, with details as follows:

Description:
 Stopped working

Problem signature:
 Problem Event Name:	CLR20r3
 Problem Signature 01:	sr3dbuilder.exe
 Problem Signature 02:	0.5.5.3
 Problem Signature 03:	4cac612f
 Problem Signature 04:	SR3DBuilder
 Problem Signature 05:	0.5.5.3
 Problem Signature 06:	4cac612f
 Problem Signature 07:	23
 Problem Signature 08:	c6
 Problem Signature 09:	System.InvalidOperationException
 OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
 Locale ID:	1033

Read our privacy statement online:
 http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
 C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Looking at Problem Signature 09, I'm assuming that my OS is not compatible with the program. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit off of VMWare Fusion version 3 on a Mac with Mac OS X 10.6. The computer has a 2.4 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4 gigs of RAM, but only one core and 1024 megabytes of RAM are allowed to be used by the virtual machine.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

most probably the problem is due to the fact I'm using MS DirectX instead of OpenGL library for my application graphics. Moreover, the shaders have been rewritten to allow back-face-lighting. This way VMWare emulation is not capable to emulate the graphic device needed by the application.

Mac world is not in my work so I really don't know how to help you...

Sergio

Okay, I decided to give it a try, but I've got a problem. Whenever I start the program, I immediately see a 'Program stopped working' dialog box, with details as follows:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

Looking at Problem Signature 09, I'm assuming that my OS is not compatible with the program. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit off of VMWare Fusion version 3 on a Mac with Mac OS X 10.6. The computer has a 2.4 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4 gigs of RAM, but only one core and 1024 megabytes of RAM are allowed to be used by the virtual machine.

Thanks in advance.

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:

Thanks in advance.

@Brickdoctor: Perhaps you should try the Mac version of Bricksmith: http://sourceforge.n...icksmith/files/

The author has plenty of Mac programming experience and would be willing to help you understand the program.

@xSergio74: Maybe you should contact the author of Bricksmith too, he might be able to help on how to make SR 3D Builder cross-platform compatible for the Mac world since he has programming experience there?

Hi there!

I would really like to use this programme but I'm having problems installing it. When I start up the programme an error jumps up with the message 'unable to find Images folder. Choose the correct installation path or reinstall the application and let the library completion before closing the installation window.'

I have downloaded Directx and the LDraw library so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I'm sorry I'm really bad at this stuff.

Cheers

Alastair

Hi there!

I would really like to use this programme but I'm having problems installing it. When I start up the programme an error jumps up with the message 'unable to find Images folder. Choose the correct installation path or reinstall the application and let the library completion before closing the installation window.'

I have downloaded Directx and the LDraw library so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I'm sorry I'm really bad at this stuff.

Cheers

Alastair

Hi,

the error is generally risen when you have chosen a destination folder for the Part Library different from the default c:\lDraw and you already have the c:\lDraw folder on your HD.

To fix the problem, use the <File>.<Setup Directories> option to choose the correct folder you install the part library to.

If you can't remember it, search your hard disk for the "Conns" folder. Its parent folder is the correct one!

Hope this can help you

Sergio

Edited by xSergio74

@Brickdoctor: Perhaps you should try the Mac version of Bricksmith: http://sourceforge.n...icksmith/files/

The author has plenty of Mac programming experience and would be willing to help you understand the program.

@xSergio74: Maybe you should contact the author of Bricksmith too, he might be able to help on how to make SR 3D Builder cross-platform compatible for the Mac world since he has programming experience there?

I'm already using Bricksmith; I wanted to try SR 3D for the use of pneumatic tubing; but thanks anyways.

On 14/10/2010 at 9:35 PM, xSergio74 said:

Hi,

the error is generally risen when you have chosen a destination folder for the Part Library different from the default c:\lDraw and you already have the c:\lDraw folder on your HD.

To fix the problem, use the <File>.<Setup Directories> option to choose the correct folder you install the part library to.

If you can't remember it, search your hard disk for the "Conns" folder. Its parent folder is the correct one!

Hope this can help you

Sergio

Hm I don't think that's what I need to do. I can't open the programme so I can't select <file>. I have also searched my hard drive for 'conns' and it didn't find anything.

Sorry for my inexperience!

Edited by Dr. Brick

I had the same problem the first time I installed SR3D. If I remember well, I fixed it when I installed LDraw parts in the same folder as SR3D (Conns is then a subfolder of SR3D Builder folder for example).

On 16/10/2010 at 9:49 PM, tiammath said:

I had the same problem the first time I installed SR3D. If I remember well, I fixed it when I installed LDraw parts in the same folder as SR3D (Conns is then a subfolder of SR3D Builder folder for example).

Ah grand, that worked! Cheers!

Edited by Dr. Brick

Hi everybody

I'm proud to announce my latest release of the application with some great new functionality.

Here is the list of what's new:

Added

- The ability to switch between standard user interface with free rotation, and a more common user

interface having separate X and Y rotation axis and a fixed (not selection dependant) rotation centre

(see preference dialog box for switching)

- Fixed length flex parts (Flex Axle, Tubes and Ribbed Hoses)

Fixed

- Problem when adding a rack while having a Technic Gear 24 Tooth Clutch in your model

- Axle misalignement while connecting to angled connectors parts

- Hidden (wrong) connection detection among gears in specific positions

- Some bugs in hinges movements when parallel quad were sharing 2 rotation points (nodes)

- A bug was preventing correct import of .DAT files (MLCad file format) when having submodels

Changed

- Group management has been totally rewritten. Now support:

o Hierarchyc groups

o Layered groups

o Hide/Show groups

available as always from

http:\\staff.polito.it\sergio.reano

and here is a video (a bit longer than usual, but it worth):

enjoy and feedback

and please, some little contribution for my hard work :col:

Sergio

Edited by xSergio74