22 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion on the set

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

This is a review of 8017 Darth Vader's TIE Fighter.

I remember when I saw Star Wars for the first time. I was so thrilled with Darth Vader's ship. It looked bad. Later, reading about it, I found out it's supposed to be as good as the X-Wings. It as shields and a hyper drive like a X-Wing. And bigger engines than the Tie fighters. I think George Lucas picked the best sounds for the ships. Roarrrr!

Normally, minifig ships I leave for my son. BUT I thought there was a Chrome Vader in this box. Needless to say, I was wrong. Anyways, on to the ship building!

Set Name: 8017 Darth Vader's TIE Fighter

Theme: Star Wars

Released: 2009

Pieces: 251

Price: $39.99/28.67EUR/25.06GBP

Here are some quicklinks Bricklink, Brickset

Wanna see some pictures? Let's start with the normal box arts and manuals!

Front of box

3555316952_ed131c0eea.jpg

Oh shiny! 10th anniversary edition box! Means nothing, but it's nice. :tongue:

Back of box

3554509489_c98cac6aa9.jpg

Here on the back of the box, it shows you all the different things this ship can do. From holding Vader's lightsaber, to firing flickfire missiles. I hate those. Allot of times, the missiles just don't stay in the ship.

Bag of parts

3555312900_df3d553761.jpg

Wow, so much parts...

Front of instruction book

3555313868_96c0a4f806.jpg

Parts list

3554506981_dc94590f08.jpg

Not too much special parts. Rare would be the minifig, the cockpit canopy, and maybe that half moon part #4532853.

Back of instruction book

3555314734_dafa15cebc.jpg

Same as the back of the box.

Sticker sheet

3555318554_ef0922d4fd.jpg

Darth Vader

3573759133_7067f04d4b.jpg

Front view. No, not the Chrome version. Red saber for evil. :devil:

3574566294_4d1abc1269.jpg

Back view. Yes, he is ignoring you.

3573759701_56feef74c3.jpg

Vader is now force choking you to get you to tell him where his helmet is.

Left over parts

3573362837_cf0e09764b.jpg

Ok, here is where Lego got me. I know that the Chrome Vader is XX weight. The 4 2x1 grey parts aren't supposed to be extras. Sly... :tongue:

Start of build

3573862889_86deb10b54.jpg

3574670228_bf195a98f8.jpg

3573863199_fbb7ed43f4.jpg

3573863413_718db817d0.jpg

3574670908_a200acf49a.jpg

3573864093_4f96f9e2f2.jpg

3574671510_c335520f35.jpg

3573864517_ea67729648.jpg

Not much to the build. Everything is built around the cockpit to the side, to the rear piece to the wings (see final for wings attached).

Final photos

3574167248_c9552731f2.jpg

Here is the final shot. The wings attach using those technic pegs. Both sides are the same during the build.

3574167546_a070761956.jpg

Back of the fighter.

3573361683_844d96d83d.jpg

Top view.

3573362483_9bc6c3e50c.jpg

Underside. Ah. Here you can see Darth Vader's light saber being held. Not realistic, but does keep the saber from being lost.

3573922939_8c56fcca19.jpg

Front view with the cockpit open. Very plain. Just enough for him to sit. I couldn't put him in with his cape on. Maybe if they made "softer, bendable" capes. :)

Features

Missiles that flick, cockpit that opens. Yep. That's about it. Oh, and owning one of the meanest minifigs of all time. It's a starfighter so not much in the way of moving parts. Considering it's only a single person fighter.

My rating:

Playability: 4/5. It's not office friendly. A bit too big, but perfect for my son to play with. If I let him. :devil: So it is very "swooshable" for playing with.

Design: 4/5. Although not a UCS, for a minifig play set, it's fine. Just enough details and not too much where it would be falling off while playing.

Build experience: 2/5. It's rated low because it's very easy to build. No trouble at all. Perfect for new people to put together.

Overall: 3/5. My son would rate this higher as he loves to play with his sets. My rating is based as an AFOL. It's sitting on a shelf. Nice to have. Worth buying if you can get it for $29.99.

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it!

All photos are click able for larger, bigger-than-life picture sizes! You can see all photos used here: Darth Vader's TIE Fighter

Edited by KimT
poll added

i really like the top view, looks a lot realistic than the first versions. if only it came with more minifigs.

i really like the top view, looks a lot realistic than the first versions. if only it came with more minifigs.

My guess is that TLG was trying to get across the fact that this set was based on the trench scene in ANH, for the anniversary. In this case, the logical choice would be to include just one character, the pilot. That's just how I see it though, I may be wrong...

I wonder many more opinions we need on this set? :tongue: Not to say I don't like the review of course, I think it was very detailed and great overall. Keep it up!

great reveiw :thumbup: someone go measure the weight of 4 grey 1x2 plates!! :tongue:

~2-3 grams. I think. :)

great reveiw :thumbup: someone go measure the weight of 4 grey 1x2 plates!! :tongue:

If opinion you mean review, I made just because I like to take pictures. Since I can't just post the pics without words, I did the review. I'm joking. Maybe.. :tongue:

I wonder many more opinions we need on this set? :tongue: Not to say I don't like the review of course, I think it was very detailed and great overall. Keep it up!

I really dig this set. It's not mind blowing, it's classic. Good shape, a mild upgrading of the old Tie sets. An important mini-figure, and a fair price. Plus a great color scheme. This is one that I think everyone should pick up.

Hey, is this not worth a poll? :vader:

Good review of a good set, I like his TIE Fighter, reminds me to the first SW games where you could control one.

I have this set and it's great! :laugh: But because of how the wings are attached with the pegs it's a bit shakey.One thing I like about this set is that the wings are adjustable.

One thing I like about this set is that the wings are adjustable.

*huh* The consensus is that the lack of a "stopper" for the click hinge bricks is a bad thing since the bottom pairs of click hinge bricks could become permanently damaged over time if you just displayed the set flat on a shelf instead of mounting it on a stand. Of course, the set is pretty bad in my opinion (the large inverted slope piece annoys the heck out of me because it does not help the look at all) so this set is now locked up in my closet.

*huh* The consensus is that the lack of a "stopper" for the click hinge bricks is a bad thing since the bottom pairs of click hinge bricks could become permanently damaged over time if you just displayed the set flat on a shelf instead of mounting it on a stand. Of course, the set is pretty bad in my opinion (the large inverted slope piece annoys the heck out of me because it does not help the look at all) so this set is now locked up in my closet.

Not to mention that by 'adjusting' the wings, you automatically render the model even more inaccurate. And yes, the click hinges can be damaged. I had to carefully bend them back into shape after I parted out my 4479.

Thank you! So far its been on my self and still looks fine. I think it'll need to sit ther for a long time for it to be damaged.

Buena review, como quiero ese set!

Nice review, but I think that they could add at least one stormtrooper in this set, it would be nice addition...

And I have a question:I have this set and helmet of my Vader falls of very easy, is this normal? (I own only one Vader so I don't know)

Nice review and beautiful pics. Thanks. Just need to convince a certain someone that I need to get one more Star Wars set because this has just been listed on a local auction site and my sons can't survive without Vader any longer.

And I have a question:I have this set and helmet of my Vader falls of very easy, is this normal? (I own only one Vader so I don't know)

I only have the Anakin/Vader fig from Palpatine's shuttle, but I've noticed his helmet is quite loose as well...

Nice review and beautiful pics. Thanks. Just need to convince a certain someone that I need to get one more Star Wars set because this has just been listed on a local auction site and my sons can't survive without Vader any longer.

I only have the Anakin/Vader fig from Palpatine's shuttle, but I've noticed his helmet is quite loose as well...

I have also noticed the helmet is quite loose.

- Michael