Name: 7748 Corporate Alliance Tank Droid

Theme: Star Wars

Subtheme: The Clone Wars

Year: 2009

Pieces: 216

Minifigs: 4 (two Battledroids)

Price: 26.99Euro, 24.99US Dollars, 29.99 Canada Dollars

Resources: Brickset, Brickshelf, Peeron

For my third Academy review I chose another new Star Wars set of the new TCW line which seems to be very popular. The Corporate Alliance droid shows that the Confederacy knows what tanks they need, or should they spend more money on AATs? Let s find out!

BOX

The box shows the NR-N99 Persuader-class tank droid driving on a street in the crystal city of Christophsis with two of his bst friends, while two Jet Troopers of the republic are trying to stop him.

td-01.jpg

The back shows us a friendlier scene, where the droids and clones just stand there without fighting, while red squares show us the few functions of the set.

td-02.jpg

Something that I found strange is that the box of the tank droid with 216 pieces is thinner than the one from 7749 Echo Base with only 155 pieces.

td-03.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS

The instruction booklet is the same size as from the 7670 Hailfire Droid and 8016 Hyena Bomber.

td-04.jpg

Random instruction page showing a tiny hand using the CC (Clone Catapult)

td-05.jpg

FIGURES / WEAPONS

The set includes four figures: Two republic Clone Jet Troopers and two generic Battledroids. Weapons are only four normal blasters and two jetpacks.

td-06.jpg

The jetpack is one of the best accessories in any Star Wars sets this year. With a little hope we might get a new Boba and/or Jango Fett with separate helmet and jetpack.

td-07.jpg

td-08.jpg

td-09.jpg

td-10.jpg

It can be put on every standard figure. Here a modded Captain Rex and Clone trooper with pirate epaulet.

td-11.jpg

td-12.jpg

BUILDINGS

Clone Catapult

The CC is one of the most ridiculoust things I ever saw in a LEGO set. It s just seven pieces, but they could have put something better than that stupid pieces. Like backpacks for the BDs or some transparent pieces as stand for the Clones. The catapult doesn�t really work. The clones get into the air but they only do a somersault and land on their face.

td-13.jpg

NR-N99 Persuader-class tank droid

The feature of the set is the infamous NR-N99 tank droid. The tank droid was first deployed by the Corporate Alliance, which used it against worlds that weren�t pleased with their buisness. When the Alliance allied with the Confederacy, they were also used against the republic clone army on several worlds including Geonosis, Christophsis and Kashyyyk. The tank appeared in both, the movies and the Clone Wars TV series but the design differs between the show and the movies. The tank seems to be more like in The Clone Wars, but I am more a fan of the design from Revenge of the Sith because it looks more like a Confederacy vehicle in the movie, with its more blue looking colors. TCW tank droid and ROTS tank droid.

td-15.jpg

td-16.jpg

td-17.jpg

The little feet are napless. The droids have to cling to the lasers if you want to rebuild the battle of Kashyyyk from Revenge of the Sith. Many people like to cover their MOCs with tiles like this, but I prefer studs, especially when the studs could have helped the playability.

td-18.jpg

You can also adjust the feet for cragged ground. This reminds me strong on the cut scene from Attack of the Clones, where the tank droids rode about a small hill.

td-21.jpg

The lasers (one per side is flick-fire). They look fine and the flick-fire has a point of being there, quite contrary to sets like 8014 Clone Walker BP or some Space Police sets, where they just seem to be shown to the "Function-Editor" who was to lazy and only stack them there for adding more play-ability and destroying the realistic design.

td-19.jpg

The eyes have an ingenious building technique. They are 1x2 SNOT bricks. The eyes and antennas are attached with minifig neck pieces and the whole eye is hold up with droid arms. Like The Penguin raved for the technic in the Star Wars 09 Discussion topic, I also prefer this eyes much more over the poles with satellite dish which seemed very cartoony and tended to fall of every time you only viewed them.

td-20.jpg

td-23.jpg

The chain is flabby and seem to long for the small chassis, but if you make the chain smaller, the chassis gets compressed. This may helps the ability of the chains to better roll on the ground, than the last tank droid did, but it makes the set look less well designed.

Flabby:

td-24.jpg

Compressed:

td-25.jpg

The big dishes are printed. I don t know if it s me, but the tubes look out of place and unnecessary.

td-14.jpg

Extra parts:

td-26.jpg

YEJ! Another grey droid arm for my MOC Droidekas!

COMPLETE SET

td-27.jpg

Sarge: Okay, I am standing here and you jump when I count to three. One, two...

Clone: Sir? *pointing to the jetpack*

The Final Verdict

Design: 7/10 I don�t like the TCW version as much as the ROTS version, but I think they could have made the back a little more detailed.

Build: 8/10 The build was very quick and had a noteworthy amount of technic. Luckily not as much technic than in the Twilight. Sticking together the chain was also very boring, but you may reckon that.

Playability: 9/10 A nice tank that rolls on every ground and a few figures are fair, but you can play better with a few other sets.

Minifigures: 8/10 The set doesn�t offer any special thing figure-wise except for the jetpacks, which I can see comming in other future sets. The clones could have used another printing with blue stripes, like in the show instead of being just plain-white. I already have around 30 white clones and I think that this is enough.

Price: 10/10 The european price is ordinary but it seems unusual for the US where prices were always like X9.99. This seems a little bit to much in a too short time, to me. In Europe the prices were only adjusted with one buck each year, but with one hit 5 bucks? Oh no, I am going to much into price ranting...

Overall: 42/50 or 8,4/10

I recommend this set to diorama builders only. Confederacy fans maybe have enough NR-N99s from 7258 Wookie Attack and minifig collectors can wait until we know what is coming next spring. I have a feeling that the jetpack will return in a few other sets.

Edited by Navy Trooper Fenson

Thanks for reviewing this.

Frontpaged and soon indexed as well.

Good Job :thumbup:

The final pic with the Clone-catapult is hilarious. :laugh:

Nice to have a little smile to round off the review :grin:

With a little hope we might get a new Boba and/or Jango Fett with separate helmet and jetpack.

td-25.jpg

Maybe a new and decapitated Clone Wars Jango, hopefully. (Doubtfully, also)

I personally think the compressed treads look good for displaying the tank, whether it rolls or not.

Very nice review, although I seem to remember reading this somewhere else. :look::wink:

EDIT: 39 people viewing already!? :oh3:

This really should have been a $20 set. :sadnew: Having said that, I like the design and the jetpack is a cool piece; I just wish they would have created a clear stand for the jet troopers, similar to the STAP stand from the droid battle packs.

Nice review, I really like the new jetpacks and the printed dishes are neat. I'm sorry to say though, but your scoring points are truly bizarre. You say the playability is "fair" but better with other sets, and so give it a ten out of ten? And say that the minifigures outside the jetpacks are nothing special and give them a nine out of ten? Sorry, but I don't really see how that works.

That said, again, awesome review, I really want that jetpack piece, but in another colour.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

I'm not impressed. This should be priced at like 15 bucks. We all know that about 100 of the pieces are just the chain pieces. And the Clone Catapault, do I even have to explain. I already have the early orange and blue one (Why those colors I never know...), so I don't need another. The only cool thing about this set is the minifigures.

But very good review on the other hand, I like the little comic thing at the end.

Nice review, I really like the new jetpacks and the printed dishes are neat. I'm sorry to say though, but your scoring points are truly bizarre. You say the playability is "fair" but better with other sets, and so give it a ten out of ten? And say that the minifigures outside the jetpacks are nothing special and give them a nine out of ten? Sorry, but I don't really see how that works.

That said, again, awesome review, I really want that jetpack piece, but in another colour.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

I want that new part strapped on a new Fett, preferably Boba. :devil:

The pricing on this is terrible. The Tank itself is 'below average' and a redesign. So it mostly relies on the minifigs, but is still 25% too expensive.

Thanks so much for that review. :classic: Now this set is on my must get list.

As i have this set i find it very small for what i paid for it. The clone jumper thing is stupid cause they dont "jump" very high at all.

:oh: I thought the jetpacks were normal airtanks! Those are awesome! But, the rest of the set kinda sucks, normal clones and droids, a tiny tanky droid, and that stupid clone launcher. :sick:

Good review though! :thumbup:

Good review !

I think the tank droid is way too stubby and short. I don't know, it doesn't feel right. Also, the price is way too high. :sceptic:

Thank you very much for the review! ) :thumbup: I've been waiting for someone to do it. )

Am I the only one here, who thinks that the set is awesome? ) :sceptic::tongue:

1) Well, it does have some desighn flaws, but what LEGO set doesn't? Plus, I think it looks great from the front. :classic:

2) Flabby treads are not of a problem to me, since a couple of them can be removed in order it to have a healthier look. ) :sweet: Plus to that, I think that that one will be rolling the Tank around at high speeds, since 'in reality' we've never seen it moving very fast. If I recall it corrrectly, it's maximum speed is somewhat about 60 km/hour.....

3) A very decent selection of figs. Though the could have added a standard SBD. BTW, I think soon we'll feel shortage og them, since the last time they were added in battle-pack set, which (at least in Russia) is fading from the store shelves. And no CW fan can have enough BD, can he?

4) Why hate the clone launcher? ) I personally (as a CIS fan) find it awesome! I guess, it was no_onion's video where a launched clone smashed right into the tank. ) :devil: Pardon, I'm a bit too exited here, I guess. ) :blush:

5) Jetpacks are great. You cant underestimate one for any other LEGO theme. ) :classic:

6) The color scheme is great. It's not that I don't like the ROTS CA Tank, it's just the previous LEGO version doesn't really work fine for me. Plus, they will definitely look good among my AATs and Homing Spider Droids. )

7) I don't like speaking about price. We may not find it fair, bt I guess, anyway, great sets are worth the money. ) :classic:

Just a couple of my ideas, gentlemen! ) :sweet:

Really nice review :thumbup:

Do you got the Wookiee Attack?

Would be sweet to see comparission pics of those 2 sets.

This new one is so much better in colours.

It looks abit short though.

The jetpacks shore is a great news.

Just hope we will see a new helmut design for the Fetts as well.

Maybe somekind of BP witt Jango and Boba.

Both printed arms and legs :wub:

-Ras-

Thanks for the review.

This is a nice looking kit. I really liked the ROTS version, but this does look better (and honestly when does TLC not improve when they re-release a set). I think a few of these sitting together will look rather nice. The Clone jetpack looks pretty impressive too. That catapult does seem a little pointless, I like how TLC has added "play-ability" to sets, but if the set doesn't naturally have an option they should just ignore it, surely the flick missile was enough.

Another well done kit TLC.

Ooops! I didn´t swapped the rating numbers with the original. The original rating is:

Design: 7/10

Build: 8/10

Playability: 9/10

Minifigures: 8/10

Price: 10/10

Overall: 42/50 or 8,4/10

Really nice review :thumbup:

Do you got the Wookiee Attack?

Would be sweet to see comparission pics of those 2 sets

Unfortunately, I sold my two 7258 tank droids to afford the money for the two new ones. :laugh::look::sceptic:

We all know that about 100 of the pieces are just the chain pieces.

If you want to be correct it´s 56 chain pieces (and a 57th as left over).

Great review :thumbup:

Something that I found strange is that the box of the tank droid with 216 pieces is thinner than the one from 7749 Echo Base with only 155 pieces.

Very well spotted. We would think TLC would use standard box sizes when there's so little diffrence.

The CC is one of the most ridiculoust things I ever saw in a LEGO set. It s just seven pieces, but they could have put something better than that stupid pieces. Like backpacks for the BDs or some transparent pieces as stand for the Clones. The catapult doesn�t really work. The clones get into the air but they only do a somersault and land on their face.

I think putting the leverage part a bit further towards the place where you press it, could improve this.

The tank seems to be more like in The Clone Wars, but I am more a fan of the design from Revenge of the Sith because it looks more like a Confederacy vehicle in the movie, with its more blue looking colors. TCW tank droid and ROTS tank droid.
The little feet are napless. The droids have to cling to the lasers if you want to rebuild the battle of Kashyyyk from Revenge of the Sith. Many people like to cover their MOCs with tiles like this, but I prefer studs, especially when the studs could have helped the playability.

mmm I see a modded version coming up... :grin:

The chain is flabby and seem to long for the small chassis, but if you make the chain smaller, the chassis gets compressed. This may helps the ability of the chains to better roll on the ground, than the last tank droid did, but it makes the set look less well designed.

Well adjusted, this looks much better! :thumbup:

Sarge: Okay, I am standing here and you jump when I count to three. One, two...

Clone: Sir? *pointing to the jetpack*

Hahaha :laugh:

The jetpacks shore is a great news.

Just hope we will see a new helmut design for the Fetts as well.

Maybe somekind of BP witt Jango and Boba.

Both printed arms and legs :wub:

Homer Simpson: "mmm Jango!"

I hope it wont be another remake of the Slave I... sorry for those who havent got one.

Unfortunately, I sold my two 7258 tank droids to afford the money for the two new ones. :laugh::look::sceptic:

O no, you should have kept one. :cry_sad:

...or sold one to me :wink:

Its difficult to come up with anything more than 'meh' when describing this

Its better than the poorly designed ROTS version - but its not the set we deserve

Compare this with the AAT...

that is not a so bad set, but I do agree with one thing :

The big dishes are printed. I don t know if it s me, but the tubes look out of place and unnecessary.

td-14.jpg

these tubes looks ugly and out of place.

Price: 26.99Euro, 24.99US Dollars, 29.99 Canada Dollars

I'm glad that someone finally did a review that stated the price in Canadian dollars, I appreciate it, Thanks :thumbup:

This is another set that I must buy. The Clone troopers are awesome with those new jet packs. Good Rview :thumbup:

i was unable to get the wookee attack set so i dont have a tank droid yet. this set is really cool. the new jet packs are awesome! it is a much better deal for the money than the hoth battle. i will probably get two at least.

i was talking to an employee at a LEGO store when the clone wars sets first came out last year and he said that the clone wars boxes were more expensive than normal boxes (they are nice looking). all of the clone wars sets have smaller boxes than other sets of the same price in other themes because of this. that is probably why the droid tank has a smaller box than the hoth battle.

great review and thanks!

Edited by calebexo01

I was hoping somebody was going to review this set soon; somehow I missed this review when first posted. I actually like this set, and sure the clone launcher is silly, but I can see kids having a lot of fun with it. Heck, my brother and I used to build the same kind of lauchers when we were kids and send our cowboys and army men flying into the attic fan.

Anyway, I can't wait to get this set. Sadly, I had the ROTS version, never got around to building it and sold it during one of my dark ages. The tank droid looks fantastic, and the jet packs are superb. Like the new Echo Base set this is really just a high dollar battle pack and I may have to pick up 3 or 4 sets. Great review!

I think this is a nice, small, set. The jetpacks are awesome and the tank looks neat. I think that catapult could be fun...

It really should have been $20 though....