Sign in to follow this  
I Scream Clone

Review: 6268 Renegade Runner

skull.jpgReview: 6268 Renegade Runnerskull.jpg

This is a prize from the good people @ Eurobricks for winning first place in the Captains Cabin contest. I thought I would return the favor by reviewing it for you all.

Set Number: 6268

Set Name: Renegade Runner

Theme: Pirates

Year of release: 93

Pieces: 171

Minifigures: 4

Bricklink, Brickset, Peeron

Box

No box with this bad boy, though I have provided a picture from the Bricklink database.

6268-1.jpg

Instructions

These instructions come pre-loved, but work nonetheless. No piece call outs or index to be found, just good ol fashioned instructions.

023.jpg

Random page of instructions

025.jpg

Minifigures

Come meet the brothers Ballast, Boson and Captain of the Renegade Runner, quite the skullduggerest crew going around. I understand the Captains torso is a rare one.

026.jpg

A slightly different angle front on

028.jpg

A rear shot showing no printing on the back of the torsos.

029.jpg

Interesting parts/Booty

Come check out the spoils of war! A compass, map, firing cannon, treasure and a red blue figurehead (Sly Owl mentioned this was an eBay sellers fault, all good though)

021.jpg

Renegade Runner

Just a quick shot to show the ship complete before the riff-raff climb aboard.

033.jpg

Completed

Here is the Renegade runner fully crewed and ready for some pillaging of small unguarded villages. Note the blue rudder and the portholes on the bow of the ship. Not sure how you would get a cannon to fire out of the front portholes though.

"Trim those sails ya scurvy aardvarks!"

003.jpg

An aerial shot showing the cannon, which comes with six cannon balls and two packers/plungers. The cannon rotates the full way around too.

006.jpg

"How should I know where we are going, you're the one with the map and compass!"

007.jpg

This Death Star Renegade Runner is fully armed and operational!

010.jpg

Treasure ahoy! Thar be a chest below deck with all me booty.

011.jpg

"Keep looking men, me floaties have to be overboard."

013.jpg

"Ive been thinking of ditching the skull and crossbones look for something in pink, what say ye?"

015.jpg

Conclusion

Design: 8/10, Some of the colour choices are a bit questionable, but the design is fairly sound. I cant really comment on the price/piece ratio, but some of the pieces are quite nice.

Build: 8/10, The build was fairly easy, just the sails which I lost interest on (no studs see)

Minifigures: 9/10, 4 very nice pirate figures in a set this small is a definite plus for me!, though the two identical figures save colour swap did lessen the appeal somewhat.

Playability: 9/10, With the compass, movable guns, treasure chest, sails, firing cannon, ladder and map this set has loads of playability, sure to keep me amused for a while. Shame I don't have a cat to torment with the cannon.

Overall: 8.5/10, Well that's a pretty good score for this fine vessel. I like its design just not the colour scheme. The figures and great parts selection makes it a nice set to own. I am sure those who purchased this set back when released weren't dissapointed, I know I'm not! Hope you liked my review

Cheers

Capt ISC signing off. (Hey everyone else seems to be a Capt around this forum :pir-tongue: )

Great review! Until this day I never even knew there *was* a compass piece :pir_laugh2:

This looks like a cute if not amazing little ship. I don't own any of the old ships, but I do think I prefer the new stern/ bow pieces. These ones do look megablockish. (Pirates fans will probably send a monkey to choke me in my sleep now, but it had to be said.)

I would also have liked to have seen some review pix of Brickbeard's Bounty mowing this little dinghy down :pir-skull:

Build: 8/10, The build was fairly easy, just the sails which I lost interest on (no studs see)

Your poor wife; I hope she came with a set of instructions :wink:

I also loved this ship when I was a kid. I was lucky enough to have this in addition to the Skull's Eye Schooner and the Imperial Flagship. The poor imperials never had a chance!

(Pirates fans will probably send a monkey to choke me in my sleep now, but it had to be said.)

I was thinking a crocodile! :pir_laugh2:

I've always liked the look of this ship but it is one of two ships I do not own...yet :pir_bawling:

Great review ISC!

It was very insightful. We should get this up on the frontpage relatively soon. :pir-classic:

Nice review. Now, that's a great way of showing your appericiation to the contest! I never had any of such ships before. Although the vessel looks kind of small, but the entire built appear to be pretty solid. There are some very good C.P elements too. Hope the new Pirates theme could release something similar of a medium sized pirate or imperial ship.

This was my first pirate ship ever and I still like it. This is an average set but compared to others of it's time it was pretty good. I never knew the compass was a rare piece (I have 2 or 3) but this adds to the ships value. Thanks for reviewing the largest pirate set I had as a kid.

Before this review I never realized how small this ship was. Its very well excuted for under 200 pieces. Very informative review.

Nice review! And I'm happy your happy with your prize!

Nice review mate! I took some pictures of my prize too^^ maybe I'll make a review! :P

Thanks for the review, I Scream Clone. :thumbup:

Honestly, I'm really not a fan of any of the small pirate ships TLC has made. I think it's mainly that I find the concept of a mini-pirate ship a little silly, although it may be fun for kids. I think if TLC makes a kit like this one in the future, they should bump the price up a bit and give the ship a proper cabin and a second cannon. I'd much rather pay a higher price for a ship like that than pay a lower price for a half-ship. :pir-wink:

This looks like a cute if not amazing little ship. I don't own any of the old ships, but I do think I prefer the new stern/ bow pieces. These ones do look megablockish. (Pirates fans will probably send a monkey to choke me in my sleep now, but it had to be said.)

I totally agree. I think for what it's worth, the new Pirate hulls are far more useful than the old ones, as they are made of smaller pieces and don't have multiple colors in the same mold. Hopefully we'll be getting more ships in the future with the new pieces in different colors. :pir-classic:

I'm a litel confused about somthing the Renegade Runner was my ferst and only vessel from the pirates line. I've still got the box and the original instructions and I would swear that the small dragen ordiment on the head was red other then that it is butifel ship, and in much better condishen.

I'm a litel confused about somthing the Renegade Runner was my ferst and only vessel from the pirates line. I've still got the box and the original instructions and I would swear that the small dragen ordiment on the head was red other then that it is butifel ship, and in much better condishen.

Slyowl mentioned that the person who sold it to him on eBay included the wrong dragon piece. So yes you are right my observant friend, and the first to notice in this review.