Walter Kovacs

UCS Scale TIE Shadow

indexed.gif

In my insane fool's errand to design and build at least one UCS scale version of every TIE Alternate (I've counted 44 thusfar, and I'm sure there are others I've missed), I have been looking for ships that share common elements, so that I can re-use designs, and save myself some headaches.

I found some of these similarities when I compared the TIE Shadow to the TIE Clutch. The hull section of the Shadow and Clutch appear to be identical, and the cockpit ball of each ship are very similar. And so, I give you my TIE Shadow:

a_ucs_tie_shadow.jpg

The major difference between the Shadow and the Clutch are the wings. While the Clutch has stubby, angular wings, the Shadow has much longer, elegently curved wings. I tried to emulate the curves as best I could, but it isn't easy to achieve in LEGO. The hull section is completely unchanged from the TIE Clutch model, so I decided not to focus on that area in my photography, or in this thread.

img_1881.jpg

This side view really shows how I tried to emulate the wing curvature. It looks good, but I feel like there is room for improvement. Any suggestions here are welcome, even if it requires a radical philosophy change.

img_1883.jpg

This back view is one of my favorite photos that I took. I feel like it really shows off quite a bit of what this model has to offer.

img_1888.jpg

I promised that I would take a better photo of the cockpit interior, and here it is. Onions disagrees with the amount ot printed pieces (and I do concede he has a good point), and it will be something I will take into consideration on future designs. Or if I ever revise this design.

Just for comparison purposes, here are the cockpit balls of the TIE Shadow and the TIE Clutch, so that you can see the differences. The Shadow lacks the laser battery below the windscreen, and has what looks like an intake on the sides.

Here is the link to the full gallery, when public.

Any Comments and Constructive Criticism is welcome.

I love the greebling around the engine area. Looks fantastic!

The only recommendation I have is that the white panels in the cockpit stand out a bit much; I think all gray ones would look a bit better.

These just get cooler and cooler!!! Was it made using the same base model as the Tie Clutch?

Yes, the rear of the hull is the same one as the TIE Clutch (one of the reasons I could get it built and photo'd quickly).

Don't get too excited about the progression. The Clutch and Shadow are two of my latest designs. The next one I will build is my earliest, the TIE Bomber. You should be able to see a marked difference in my designing skills.

I love the greebling around the engine area. Looks fantastic!

The only recommendation I have is that the white panels in the cockpit stand out a bit much; I think all gray ones would look a bit better.

I used the white tiles in the cockpit as opposed to light gray purely based on economics. Light gray are expensive; white are much less so. The white 2 x 2 slope in the cockpit was chosen based on the pattern. I could have thrown any printed slope, but I liked the pattern on the white one, so I went with it.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

The amount of greebling on the engine pod is insane. It looks really good although the cockpit interior maybe overly complicated IMO. The guns are very sleek. Good work :thumbup: .

Zawowee kablowee that's intense!

But the cockpit doesn't have a cupholder to tasty beverages.

The amount of greebling on the engine pod is insane. It looks really good although the cockpit interior maybe overly complicated IMO. The guns are very sleek. Good work :thumbup: .

You're the second person to make that comment. I'll tone it down a bit in future endevours.

Zawowee kablowee that's intense!

But the cockpit doesn't have a cupholder to tasty beverages.

I'll see what I can do :wink:

I instantly thought that it was going to be big once I saw the wings when the pic was loading. Great work, it looks like an X-wing, Imperial style!

Edited by CloneCommanderDelta7

That´s a very impressive and wonderful work and a very cool looking TIE model indeed! :thumbup:

That's awesome. Can't really think of anything bad about it.

Also, about the cockpit, I think it's nice there are so many instruments and stuff in it. It reminds me of Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance.

Great work Walter, you've captured the wing shape nicely and I love the greeble-work!

I'm enjoying the special attention you're giving to the diverse range of TIE variants :thumbup:

Keep it up!