1. 1. Which colour is the best:

• Brown (sets 6274, 6285)
    • Red and brown (6286)
    • Gray and red (6289)
    • Gray and brown (6268, 6271)
    • Blue and white (6280)
    • Black and gray (6493)
    • Green and black (6250)

This time it's about colours of the hulls we've seen in Lego Pirates' ships. I also added 6493, it's not a Pirate set but has a Pirate-style hull.

The first colour in each case is the colour of the top parts of the hull, while the second is the colour of the bottom parts and the whole middle sections if there are any.

So which of these colours is the most aesthetically pleasing/realistic/dangerously looking/whatever you like?

Or if you'd like to see some other colours in the future what would they be?

First shall come my minor nitpick!

Shouldn't the exterior hull colour preceed the interior hull colour? For example 6286 Skulls Eye Schooner, when I read the hull is red and brown I imagine the exterior of the hull being red since its the first colour being mentioned.

Most of them look good(I don't like the green and black too much... well actually im sure it could be used for something good!) I voted for the all brown because it can be made into anything with the right skillz!

Do you mean which looks the best (red and brown for me) or which is the best (as in easiest to use/ always dependable, in which case it is brown all the way...)?

God Bless,

Nathan

Most of them look good(I don't like the green and black too much... well actually im sure it could be used for something good!) I voted for the all brown because it can be made into anything with the right skillz!

You're just saying that because you're prejudice against the Crossbone Clipper!

Count Sneffy is right, obviously brown is the most realistic, but isn't it also the most boring?

You're just saying that because you're prejudice against the Crossbone Clipper!

Count Sneffy is right, obviously brown is the most realistic, but isn't it also the most boring?

sure it's boring, but a hull is not supposed to be a work of art that rivals Rubens' paintings. it's supposed to be functional, that's it... sure, you can paint your hull in any colour you like, but then your ship probably isn't a 18th-19th century battleship...

An 18th to 19th century (or any century for that matter) battleship wouldn't be benefited by bright colours methinks...

Do you mean which looks the best (red and brown for me) or which is the best (as in easiest to use/ always dependable, in which case it is brown all the way...)?

Whatever explanation you like, the question is which one is the best and this for one person would mean which looks the best, and for another person something completely different.

I went red and brown... sentimental value of building the SES and knowing I had the coolest thing on the waves... if it was pure beauty I would have to go with green/black, I like it!

God Bless,

Nathan

Whatever explanation you like, the question is which one is the best and this for one person would mean which looks the best, and for another person something completely different.

Oh yes, its purely subjective. Some hull colours go better thanother with hull colours. Its always important to choose a hull colour that goes with most of your outfits - you wouldn't want a clash otherwise you'd be a sitting duck against against hostile emenies.

Take the Armada Flagship for example. To be truly safe you'd want to wear a white suit with blue pin stripes. That way you'd camouflage into the sails and be able to move around more freely on deck.

Oh yes, its purely subjective. Some hull colours go better thanother with hull colours. Its always important to choose a hull colour that goes with most of your outfits - you wouldn't want a clash otherwise you'd be a sitting duck against against hostile emenies.

Take the Armada Flagship for example. To be truly safe you'd want to wear a white suit with blue pin stripes. That way you'd camouflage into the sails and be able to move around more freely on deck.

or you could paint your hull into dark blue and all the rest like, masts, sails,... in licht blue. a perfect camouflage for a ship at see...

so here it is then: the best colour for a hull is dark blue...

But what if the sky is deary and grey causing the water to look similiar? Painting the hull dark blue wouldn't work as well then.

But what if the sky is deary and grey causing the water to look similiar? Painting the hull dark blue wouldn't work as well then.

i was hoping you wouldn't be smart enough to come to that question...

i know, i was stupid to think just that... :P

If you were raiding off the coast of Ireland grey might be the most apropriate colour this time of year...

God Bless,

Nathan

But what if the sky is deary and grey causing the water to look similiar?  Painting the hull dark blue wouldn't work as well then.

i was hoping you wouldn't be smart enough to come to that question...

i know, i was stupid to think just that... :P

Count Sneffy, are you implying ME, the leader of the mighty Spanish Inquisition is not smart enough to acknowledge the sky and sea are different colours depending on weather conditions?

Brown.

For a true builder, no other colour comes close!

Allthough some of the choices look nice, they simply aren't as versatile. I don't want my colour choices predetermined by a multicoloured hull. Most ship hulls require you to incorporate certain colours into the design to make an attractive MOC. The original brown hulls (6085, 6074) don't place this restriction on me as a builder. For that reason alone, they are far more appealing. The red and brown hull of 6286 (Skull's Eye Schooner) is a close second, but the red highlight reduces versatility, making it inferior to a plain brown hull. Hulls that preclude the basic brown midsection are easily the worst.

Later.

Brown.

For a true builder, no other colour comes close!

Allthough some of the choices look nice, they simply aren't as versatile. I don't want my colour choices predetermined by a multicoloured hull. Most ship hulls require you to incorporate certain colours into the design to make an attractive MOC. The original brown hulls (6085, 6074) don't place this restriction on me as a builder. For that reason alone, they are far more appealing. The red and brown hull of 6286 (Skull's Eye Schooner) is a close second, but the red highlight reduces versatility, making it inferior to a plain brown hull. Hulls that preclude the basic brown midsection are easily the worst.

Later.

good point!

Court? They cost time and money. Normally we'd just shoot you on the spot, but given the topic of this thread I think keel hauling you would be most appropriate...

The red and brown hull of 6286 (Skull's Eye Schooner) is a close second, but the red highlight reduces versatility, making it inferior to a plain brown hull. Hulls that preclude the basic brown midsection are easily the worst.

Brown gets my 'builder's vote' but I had to go with red and brown because it is so great in a MOC or set (granted built around the colour).

God Bless,

Nathan

For a long time I was a traditionalist and preferred the classic one-coloured brown hull. However I changed my mind quite recently and now my number one is the white hull with blue top of the Armada Flagship. It just has this noble look all the others are missing. Now I really wish there was a wide version of that one! However we're talking only about colours here, not sizes. The classic brown would be my second choice.

Now from the perspective of a Phesical a wider white and blue hull would be unnecessary as I don't think a larger version of the Armada Flagship would be appropriate. Much of the regality of the Armada Flagship is attributed to its colour, however, a vessel of this nature wouldn't be any bigger than it currently is. The colours suit its small cruisy nature and wouldn't work as well with a larger vessel.

Quick! Someone show me glorious MOCs of larger versions of the Armada Flagship to make me eat my word.!