1. 1. How would you rate it?

• Bad
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent

indexed.gif

approvedgold_v2_62.png

Hi all! I posted a few reviews in this forum a few months ago, but then I took the time to get my bronze badge from the Reviewer's Academy. I hope you enjoy my Academy graduate review!

Luke: I was born here you know.

Han: You're gonna die here you know.

Then they fight over the sarlac pit in the Dune Sea of Tatooine.

Set Title: Desert Skiff

Set #: 7104

Theme: Star Wars, Original Trilogy, Episode 6 Return of the Jedi

Pieces: 53

Minifigures: 2

Year of Release: 2000

Price at Release: USD $6

Inventory? Buy it? Bricklink Peeron

Just for fun, I thought I might add something special: the set featured in a Spring 2000 Shop-At Home catalog.

catalog_page.jpg

It's a little hard to read, so here's what it says:

F. Build your own desert skiff!

Help Luke and Han Solo make a quick getaway in this desert skiff. Luke has his lightsaber should they meet trouble on their way! Ages 6+. 53 pieces. #7104 Desert Skiff $6.75

Not exactly what happens in the movie... but close enough, and who really cares anyway?

INSTRUCTIONS

As usual, my original box is probably in a huge trash pit or made into some milk cartons, but the instructions depict the box art well. Note the cute old Original Trilogy logo, resurrected this year for the 2009 anniversary sets. Also note that the system logo has been removed since 1999. (I just could not get this to lay flat!)

instfront.jpg

The back, with the usual figures building the set and a wacky alternate model (although this is better than some). It seems Luke isn't helping to much, he's having to much fun playing with his lightsaber!

instback.jpg

A random page. Each page has a little picture from the movie showing the scene that features this set. Cool!

instrandom.jpg

SET

Here is an overview of the skiff with minifigures. My comments will follow with the breakdown.

overall.jpg

MINIFIGURES

Let me start off with the good. These two exact figures were new to this set, new torsos anyway. Another great thing about the included figures is the level of movie accuracy with Luke's hand. He still has two normal hands at this point in the movie, so LEGO didn't mess up and make one black. Now what I feel is bad. First, I don't really like this head for Luke, I liked the old head, and this one is for young Ep1 Obi-Wan. At the time of this set's release, they were still putting out the old Luke head too, so was this one supposed to represent Mark Hamill after his motorcycle accident? That would be weird. I am annoyed that this is the head LEGO adopted as Luke and now only uses for him.

mini_front.jpg

The minifigure's backs, not much to see, but here it is.

mini_back.jpg

MODEL

The model looks nice. It is small, but relatively good for the time. It would have been nice if the plank could retract, but it can't. I do not have the newer version, but you can check this review for a link to some pictures.

setbirdseye.jpg

The oddest part of the skiff is that out of place blue brick. LEGO just loved throwing in weird colors back then.

setside.jpg

A picture from the back, just for fun. Can't say much here, it looks nice, but a little blocky.

setback.jpg

Since I'm done reviewing what you get with the set, now I'll show you a picture with Luke and Han in fight poses!

action_poses.jpg

And this is when a questions comes to mind, who the heck are they fighting? I certainly remember some bad guys on that skiff with them. This is the main problem with this set, no conflict, nobody to fight, yet still a spear. I realize that at the time of release what kids wanted was the characters they loved, not some weird hog guards! But I would like to see a Gammorrean, or maybe Boba Fett, or at least somebody to fight. Oh well.

Now I'll sum the rest up. It's a nice model, not to repetitive, perfect number of parts for the price, and the minifigures you get are good (except that Luke face). But it really needed a minifigure more, just one. Also, the tan cylinders that support it really should have been clear (or trans). In the instructions pic they're not even there!

Parts: 9.5/10 - good range, but should have had clear support

Minifigures: 7/10 - it needed one more, and I'm not a fan of that Luke head

Build: 10/10 - interesting, not repetitive

Playability: 6/10 - you can swoosh it, but all else you can do is have a Han/Luke conversation

Overall: 8.13/10 - yes, even though it's a nice model, the lack of a minifigure totally brings it down. But hey, a B is still pretty good!

Kool, looks good, don't remember Han with a Spear.

Aren't images supposed to be deep linked?.

Kool, looks good, don't remember Han with a Spear.

Aren't images supposed to be deep linked?.

Yes pictures are supposed to be deeplinked, and mine are. Please, if something is wrong and the pictures aren't showing up, let me know. But they show up just fine here.

Yes pictures are supposed to be deeplinked, and mine are. Please, if something is wrong and the pictures aren't showing up, let me know. But they show up just fine here.

They look fine to me too. :thumbup:

Nice review Clone O' Patra. This is a pretty good set for the size. Although it does look a bit scrawny in the front....

Yeah they do, just thought it meant you could only use this site to host.

I am hoping to get this one in the next couple of months, is the saber hilt grey or the old silver/chrome?.

I am hoping to get this one in the next couple of months, is the saber hilt grey or the old silver/chrome?.

The hilt is old silver/chrome, nice and shiny!

Yeah they do, just thought it meant you could only use this site to host.

Deeplinking means linking your pictures from an image hosting site such as Flickr or Brickshelf, to Eurobricks so they show up without having to click on a link. :classic:

I'm certainly glad TLG has started using pearl chrome hilts now. They're not quite as cool as the old chrome ones, but a massive improvement over the bley ones.

A great set which sadly lacked the addition of Lando Calrissian - I've done some diggin into that a different occasions and with different LEGO employees.

The reason Lando wasn't introduced in this set was that he was (is) brown.

At that time all LEGO minifigs were yellow and they decided no to do Lando as either brown nor yellow.

Luckily that policy changed later and we got ourselves a Lando in the Cloud City.

I like the skiff's simple design, but hate that we had to live with another "Duke" :hmpf:

Rated: Above Average

I got this set when I was really young. I hate my self for losing Han Solo's face, and there's some missprint on Luke's face. Oh well, good set anyways.

8.13 is still an A- (81.3%) My friend had this set and the old slave 1 so we always blew this up with it.............. good times, good times :classic:

LEGO just loved throwing in weird colors back then.

They still do! :cry_sad:

Anyway, I had this set, but I lost lots of the pieces. :cry_sad:

I agree that there should have been some enemy figs.

Is it just me, or were LEGO (especially Star Wars) sets cheaper back then?

This is quite a poor set :thumbdown: - only two usual figs and no any enemies to fight- poor playability- no Lando- poor for collectors and fans- not much parts either- and this thingy was alone before Jabba's sailbarge appeared :hmpf_bad: - that is a good set and i have it :thumbup: - and about the Luke's head- i like it- old looked bad- new (2009) looks even worse -that one is best even though it is identical to ep1 Obi -they should redo him instead- this head looks like Luke...

Nice review!

But, Clone O'Patra, why are you saying it's great that Luke has a yellow hand? As far as I know, Luke got his mechanical hand in the end of Episode V and the scene with the desert skiff takes place in Episode VI?

Nice review!

But, Clone O'Patra, why are you saying it's great that Luke has a yellow hand? As far as I know, Luke got his mechanical hand in the end of Episode V and the scene with the desert skiff takes place in Episode VI?

I was about to argue that at this point his hand had the flesh coverings, but actually it had flesh coverings from the pretty much the moment he got it at the end of V.

Curious?

Nice review!

True, but the prosthetic had a textured skin that matched Luke's so it looked like a normal hand. Hence he has 2 yellow ones in this set. After leaving Tatooine, he puts a black glove on his hand (which got shot while on Jabba's barge), which is why any Luke figure on Endor or DSII should have one yellow/flesh hand and one black one.

Wow am I a nerd or what? :wink:

Edited by Destroydacre

True, but the prosthetic had a textured skin that matched Luke's so it looked like a normal hand. Hence he has 2 yellow ones in this set. After leaving Tatooine, he puts a black glove on his hand (which got shot while on Jabba's barge), which is why any Luke figure on Endor or DSII should have one yellow/flesh hand and one black one.

No. Being a nerd means you've been sick all week and have watched each original trilogy episdoe at least 7 times. That's nerdy.

Good review, didn't know that Luke head fact.

ohsnap1.gif That's it! I'm ashamed, I should have known that.

Thanks for setting us straight.

Nice set eh ? only missing Chewie and Lando though ! :wacko:

Oh, yeah and Luke puts his glove on only after completing the rescue of Han and he is flying back in his X-wing to catch up with Yoda.

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Thanks for the explanation! :thumbup:

Yeah, you are definitely a nerd! No you're not, just kiddin' you... :tongue:

No. Being a nerd means you've been sick all week and have watched each original trilogy episdoe at least 7 times. That's nerdy.

Hey, have you already thought of making extra pocket money as an agoncy aunt? :grin:

"Dear Dr CallMePie, I have watched 'The Clone Wars' 23 times the previous week. Am I abnormal? Andrew, 15"

Think about it! :laugh:

Edited by funkybrick

I'm starting to wonder why LEGO doesn't re-release this with a Weequay minifig... that would definitely boost sales. (And save our wallets!!!) Wasn't there a Weequay of some sort in the Target Pirate Tank thing?

I wish LEGO still released sets this cheap! Why can't they sell STAPs or 74-Zs or something individually? They can sell magnet figs and keychains...

Well I just read the review and the set seems pretty good to me. Of course leaving out the fact that there is nobody to fight. I would have liked to see a complete Jabbas palace similar to the cloud city set but hey we cant all get what we want. star-wars-smiley-008.gif