Information

Set name: Rally Truck

Set number: 8261

Number of pieces: 198

Theme: Technic

Released: January 2009

List price (shop at home): $ 24.99 /

Edited by Front

Thanks for the review, but it's hard to see how the steering works.

I can't remember last time LEGO did that kind of steering (a pin that turns like the ones connected to the wheels) instead of the usual tooth-rack design.

Thanks for the review, but it's hard to see how the steering works.

I can't remember last time LEGO did that kind of steering (a pin that turns like the ones connected to the wheels) instead of the usual tooth-rack design.

Yes, the steering in both models are done by two "cone gears wheels" Black Technic Knob Wheel.

The output gear wheel is connected through a cross axle to a liftarm Liftarm 1 x 3 with 2 Axle Holes and Pin. That liftarm pulls the front of the 6-module beams (7 holes) to the side, which then turns the wheels. The complete front axle assembly is a parallelogram, being skewed by that liftarm, which in turn is rotated by the 4-teeth gears.

Hope it makes sense, although a picture or drawing would be better :classic:

Front

The concept looks similar to the steering made of flex system parts that a few sets used in the past. 8440 and 8457 come to mind, although the steering on those sets didn't work well and was too sensitive. This set seems to have a better implementation though.

Front, excellent piece of review! :wub:

I am impressed with your review and you have managed to persuade me to view this set from a different perspective. One of the images below has certainly demostrated the wheels suspension very well. Although I am not an expert or fond of Technic, but I must admit that this set has shown some good positive attributes for a non-technic fans like me, and I can see such message communicating to me through this review of yours. Thanks for taking your time to do up this review. :thumbup:

Great set and great review Front.

I've added a poll, so that we (the not so incompetent :grin:) can vote what we think about this set.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments on this set :thumbup:

I agree, it just looks really bad. The truck should have been the main model because at least that looks liek a truck.

I guess I should explain why I do not like it. First it barely looks like a truck. The front twist is just SILLY. The read spring is more like a quad bike than a truck. This is a 15$ truck value for a $25 price. Piece count aside this is just one of the poorest of the year. I do like the smaller and larger sets though in the collection.

i cant really tell it is a fantastic set. the building of the truck is weak, maybe i can say in another way, it looks incomplete.

there is lot of space that need to be improve.

the lego designer did finish the design very rush, and roughly.

i vote average.

Thank you all for voting and commenting. I think I voted average or below average.

I just got the crazy idea to give this little truck a trailer to pull. I have hardly done any Technic mocs, apart from a motorcycle I started on a week ago. So adding a little trailer to the alternate truck, should be a good excersize, not so complicated that I would give up long before completion.

3373564817_b403c1c47b_o.jpg

The joint on the truck is placed quite some distance in front of the rear wheels, so the trailer needs a long beam extending foreward, to reach that joint and not colliding with the wheels of the truck.

3374380086_bac7ef99a8_o.jpg

The selection of elements for the trailer is strongly influenced by which elements I have available. I stripped my Bionicle aircraft for panels, it comes with twelve of these.

Front

The trailer looks better than the truck :grin:

Nice work Front :thumbup:

Taking apart Bionicle to build Technic MOCs sounds like a great plan to me...

But then again, I am no Bionicle fan.... in fact I am not even sure I am a Technic fan :blush:

:laugh:

Great review, and wonderful trailer. Great job! :thumbup:

Thanks for the informative review.

agree that this is one of the weaker sets this year.

Technic is all about realistic mechanics, so its dissapointing that the features on this truck are so... unrealistic.

I would have accepted the pendular suspension on the rear, but not the front. Similarly the spring shock would be better of as a pair up front instead of rear.

Lack of rack and pinion also makes it seem rather cheaply done.

I have far too much red bricks; if it was done in a more unusual color I'd at least be inclined to buy it for the parts.

The mainmodel looks pretty good I must say, the secondary model on the other hand I don't really like. For the price you get a fair amount of pieces, though nothing to spectacular except for the T beams maybe.

Anyhow, a great review for this set.