Joebot

MOC: Post Office

indexed.gif B-OV-9A

Hey everyone,

Since TLC has been giving us some great postal sets, but not an actual post office, I decided to build my own. More pictures can be found here!

Please let me know what you think!

PostOfficeThumb.jpg

i like it not crazy about the colors but if that's what lego gives us then that's what we use right? is that color scheme a european one, because i've never seen a post office in the US that uses colors like that. also what is that building to the left it looks pretty cool too.

It's lego colors. The sets used in the '80's were all yellow with red.

6651-1.jpg

Besides in real life we've DHL, who also use yellow with red. Not known in USA?

What a great building. Only I would use these windows 7026.gif for a more realistic look.

Edited by Panda9001100

Simply perfect and very charming in appearance with a detailed interior

and some very fine details like that loading dock! :thumbup:

i think your creation is nice.

they're like real building.

the interior looks great too.

the loading deck idea is very cool.

i like it very much.

This is excellent, and perfect for Lego's yellow mail transport vehicles. It has a very creative and unique design. I also like the way you created the border.

BLOGGED!

Am I missing something here, or does the link just lead to a content-less page with Post-Office as a header?

Nevermind, I'll comment on the nice building I see here on the forum. First of all, it looks like it's built like a rock - thick walls, solid stance and no weak points - i.e. no delicate details. It's no CCMS, but I dare say that this looks very classic and nostalgic - it reminds me of a library I built years ago as kid which had a similar color scheme and solidity as this post office. So I might be a little biased when I see this, but I nonetheless think this is very nice. :thumbup:

i like it not crazy about the colors but if that's what lego gives us then that's what we use right? is that color scheme a european one, because i've never seen a post office in the US that uses colors like that. also what is that building to the left it looks pretty cool too.

I'm from Chicago, so I don't really know what European post offices look like. I went with red and yellow because a) those are the pieces that I had available, and b) it matches the post office van and airplane. I like the color scheme because to me, they're "classic" Lego colors. The relatively recent more realistic colors, like tan, brown, and grey, are fine. but I guess I'm just old-school. I still like the bright, primary Lego colors the best.

The building next door is the hopsital. You can see pictures of that here.

Am I missing something here, or does the link just lead to a content-less page with Post-Office as a header?

Nevermind, I'll comment on the nice building I see here on the forum. First of all, it looks like it's built like a rock - thick walls, solid stance and no weak points - i.e. no delicate details. It's no CCMS, but I dare say that this looks very classic and nostalgic - it reminds me of a library I built years ago as kid which had a similar color scheme and solidity as this post office. So I might be a little biased when I see this, but I nonetheless think this is very nice. :thumbup:

Really? Is anybody else having any problems? I just checked the link again, and it worked okay for me. It sometimes takes a few moments for the page to draw, though. What browser / OS are you using?

Thanks for the comments!

Fluxington has been one of my favorite town MOC's i've seen. I guess this makes it even better!

I actually like the yellow, (My post office is a brown and tan color) But, it goes along with the theme very well.

I guess i'm a Fluxington Fan-boy...

Very nicely done! Somehow, this design of this post office is so classic, and it kind of reminds me of those classic town buildings. Furthermore, I find this rather suitable for the recent CITY postal sets such as the mail van and the airplane. It's a really nice attempt! :thumbup:

I really like this building. It definately fits your goal of making it look classic, but it doesn't suffer for it. I like the way you built the foundation also.

Two minor suggestions. The slopes with the printed white stripes look a bit out of place. There's no other white in the entire moc, and they aren't close enough to the windows to be proper awnings. Secondly, the red brick sections over the windows look a bit awkward, perhaps the windows could be situated more in the center with a bit of red on top and below.

Those are minor quibbles however about what is a MOC that is very nicely done inside and out.

Very nice MOC Joebot!

It took me back to the classic years :cry_happy: . The colour combination works great IMO because traditionally, yellow is the post-related colour of Lego sets .

It could have been more "modernised" by putting different windows but on the other hand, many public buildings that hold certain services from the past and still are on duty (train stations, town halls, presidential-government buildings etc), can still be seen around the world, making some cities more beautiful. So, :thumbup: from me!

The interior is also very nice. Perhaps you could make it a little larger by expanding it from the back side. (it reminded me the Town Hall from the Town Plan.)

Overall, great work! :thumbup:

P.S

The link works fine to me.

the link didn't work for me while i was using firefox but i tried IE and it worked fine just a heads up for anyone having problems

Freddie PM'd me to tell me that he was also having problems in Firefox. I used iWeb on a Mac to develop the website, so there must be something in the iWeb code that Firefox doesn't like. It looks fine on my PC at work using IE. Huh. Sorry about that, to all the Firefox users out there! Unfortunately I don't know enough about web development to troubleshoot what the problem might be!

Two minor suggestions. The slopes with the printed white stripes look a bit out of place. There's no other white in the entire moc, and they aren't close enough to the windows to be proper awnings. Secondly, the red brick sections over the windows look a bit awkward, perhaps the windows could be situated more in the center with a bit of red on top and below.

Heh. Yeah, would you believe I came up ONE BRICK short on plain red slope bricks, so I had to substitute in those striped ones. That was annoying. I like your other suggestion. I may play around with that a bit.

Fluxington has been one of my favorite town MOC's i've seen. I guess this makes it even better!

I actually like the yellow, (My post office is a brown and tan color) But, it goes along with the theme very well.

I guess i'm a Fluxington Fan-boy...

Thanks! I've got some more new stuff I need to take pictures of too, including a gym. I'll try to get that posted soon ...

I love the color scheme to allow a theme to come about for all of the Post-office sets. Now you can add satellite post offices around the town, and maybe even one at the airport for the cute little airplane... or just add a tiny little airstrip out back of the big post office :sweet:.

Well colours are the same as DHL and few other postal companies I know of but believe it is just coincidence. LEGO didn't have many colours in the 1980s :classic:

Joebot, any more pics of your modified hospital?? Looks good from what I see!

Heh. Yeah, would you believe I came up ONE BRICK short on plain red slope bricks, so I had to substitute in those striped ones. That was annoying. I like your other suggestion. I may play around with that a bit.

I just realized you're in Chicago too. PM on the way!

Great job, Joebot! That must be the Fluxington Post Office, where the Unlikely Society and the Superiors send their letters and packages. I am familiar with your comics.

This is a tremendous MOC! :thumbup:

I really like the use of 1x1 cones to break up the corners on the exterior. Although the colours look a little strange at first, I totally understand that you chose them to match TLC's colour scheme. I really like the use of the 1x2 hinge plates near the top 2 windows to add some architectural flair to the building. The overall shape is very pleasing - there's a lot of nice curves and angles in there.

The street lamps outside are really innovative - I love the way you've used the minifig rifle in there. My only issue with these is the lower light seems too low - it looks as if a minifig would be lucky to avoid bashing his/her head! A couple of 1x1 round bricks (or even 1x1 bricks) would help add a little height (and realism) here.

But overall it's wonderous!

Joebot, any more pics of your modified hospital?? Looks good from what I see!

You can find a few more pictures in the Fire and Rescue section.

Great job, Joebot! That must be the Fluxington Post Office, where the Unlikely Society and the Superiors send their letters and packages. I am familiar with your comics.

HA! You got it! That's awesome, thanks. I was actually working on the next chapter last night. I'm building a new "Hall of the Superiors." The next chapter has a couple of scenes there.