RocketSeason

The City of Roses (WIP ship)

Alright gang, You asked for it, you get it! New pictures of the almost completed City of Roses. The English are hard at work at the shipyards ensuring that their navy stays larger than the French.

3474351899_5487e05378.jpg

I have been building and re-building her for months now. Just trying to get her looking as accurate as possible while still retaining that great LEGO look and feel. She was 4 midsections long for a while, but I cut it down to three to keep it looking smaller in comparison to some of the frigates that you guys have been building. I also added 2 more gun ports to bring her total number of cannon up to a solid 10.

3474351933_78e2818508.jpg

I have tried my best to make her as unique as possible, but no matter what I did, It never looked quite right, so naturally, I stole a lot of building techniques from some of the amazing ships I've seen on these boards. (Particularly Captain Green Hair. He seems to have mastered the art of LEGO ship building)

3474351971_d06bbb99bb.jpg

I must say, I am really in love with this boat. This beauty is full of fantastic details! The interior will also be highly detailed with a Captains Quarters, Ward Room, Gun Deck, Galley, sick bay, 2 holds, an armory and other great interior details. All of these will be accessible via 6 lift out sections and 3 fold out sections. (I love interiors) Below you can see through the unfinished fo'csle and down into the Galley.

3475161244_4567d6d0b2.jpg

This build has taken so long, Captain Matthew Foster has gotten old, grown a beard, and become rather cranky. All he wants to do is get out there on those high seas and rid those waters of Pirates, the French, and any other scum he happens across.

3475173362_313161c497.jpg

Besides the interior, I still need to finish out the masts and rigging. (That's the hard part.) then I plan to beg Captain Green Hair to make me some of his fantastic sails. After that, who knows? Probably a few comics. I love reading LEGO comics.

Be sure to check out my flickr photo set for detailed notes on the pictures. Hope you enjoy!

I love it! And I'm not lying about that. :pir_laugh2:

The ship has a cute look, it is very realistic though. The stern looks great to me but could use some details like yellow flowers or something like that.

The bow is fantastic, the curve in it turned out really good. I see there is no deck on it yet. :pir-tongue:

I can't wait to see the interior of this beautiful vessel. I also try to build an interior in everything I build.

I agree CGH is a large source of inspiration.

I wish you the best of luck finishing this ship! :thumbup:

Excellent work Rocketseason, the colorscheme, the detail, the headrails, the shape, you have a really good looking ship there mate!

nothing more to say ^^ it seems that it's going to be a great ship ^^ I can't wait for a pic of the finished model^^

A great ship with distinct lines, a wonderful color scheme and fine details indeed. I especially like the stern section and that interesting bow. :thumbup:

So far your ship is looking great :thumbup: I like the stern alot. could you get a picture of the broadside shot?

I cant see it.

Nice, it really makes me thinking about the HMS Endeavour...

But I don't really like the brown vertical stripes on the white line on the broadside. White would do a better job I think.

Nice, it really makes me thinking about the HMS Endeavour...

But I don't really like the brown vertical stripes on the white line on the broadside. White would do a better job I think.

Have to disagree here, very often extra wooden beams were made on ships for extra strength. :pir-wink:

Have to disagree here, very often extra wooden beams were made on ships for extra strength. :pir-wink:

I only didn't like the brown in the white line, I know about the extra wooden beams but I thought they were painted in the hull colour. Now it looks like the ship exists of 3 components. :pir-blush:

Here's an example:

larenom_00.JPG

Only the beems are here on the black, reversed sort of speak.

I haven't come across many cases, but there are a few.

I also think that these wooden beams sometimes would be applied after repairs to strengthen the hull, needless to say that they had to be deployed in battle again as fast as possible, so no repainting them. :pir-wink:

Seems to be you are still the master about ships and their structure, you have beaten me again. :pir-wink:

I see it in the positive way: there is always something to learn. :pir-sweet:

This is a very nice ship and has a very original design and style to it. My only suggestion is that you change the brown and white section between the rigging and cabin and make it blue with another window. The brown and white section looks a little out of place and by making it blue it would extend the cabin.

Your ship it turning out very well!

Besides Paul's suggestion (post above) I have another one:

3474351933_78e2818508.jpg

I would put the middle window one plate higher. That way there will be a bit more shape in the stern (if you see what I mean). Now all lines are a bit too straight.

Good work RocketSeason!

You've made a very nice ship. I like the clean line, which makes me think of actual TLC Ships.

In fact, apart from some little details I think this could very well be a official TLC set.

I have to agree with Bonaparte however. The lines, although clean, are indeed a bit too straight. If you'd follow Boney's advice there would be perfect harmony :thumbup: .

I like this ship alot. But I got one and only one beef with it.

It seems that the middle of the ship looks redcoat, but the back looks blue coat? Almost as if two different ships were put together? Do you want to change the cannon ports? Maybe Im just too old school and like my underlying colors to match more, but do you catch my drift?

-Super

Nice ship! I like the colors alot, especially the combination of red and blue. It really looks nice.

keep up the good work :thumbup:

Edited by Admiral M

The colour scheme of Darwin's Beagle. That's where it made me think of. But this ship has a lot of blue in it, the Beagle doesn't. You should make this ship bigger but in the same style. I also like the inside of it, with those wooden things against the 'wall' (if you know what I mean :pir_laugh2: ...)At least you have also made a lot of work for the inside. That's always a good thing. Keep on working like this :thumbup:

I would put the middle window one plate higher. That way there will be a bit more shape in the stern (if you see what I mean). Now all lines are a bit too straight.

Great Idea! I think I will take your suggestion! I would like to do the same with the sides. We will see. It may be a bit of a trade-off between getting it nice and curvy, and allowing for a nice size interior for details.