Sign in to follow this  
Hinckley

Port Invasion

thindexedgif.gif Vig. 29c

It's been a while since I've built something and I spent a good amount of time on this. There are a lot of things I'd like to expand on, but for a contest entry, I decided to cut and print and I can add to it next time I take a display to a convention. So here's my entry, Port Invasion:

ptv_01.jpg

Oh no! Pirates! Sound the warning bell!

ptv_02.jpg

ptv_03.jpg

ptv_04.jpg

ptv_05.jpg

Closeup of the Pirate Ship...

ptv_06.jpg

The Tavern

ptv_07.jpg

The Inn

ptv_08.jpg

Oh dear, the Inn is ablaze!

And now for the figs:

ptv_09.jpg

Pirate KimT has overtaken Imperial Soldier WhiteFang's patrol boat and subdued...no, vivisected him! Poor WhiteFang!

ptv_10.jpg

ImperialGuard Ras has surprised Mr. Tiber

ptv_11.jpg

The ship has a sexy mermaid figurehead!

ptv_12.jpg

Captain SlyOwl is calling the shots, but Sir Dillon is sneaking up with an unpleasant surprise for him.

ptv_13.jpg

First Mate, Pickle Pirate Phred, is annoyed that he has to navigate the ship and can't take part in the actual pillaging...

ptv_14.jpg

Imperial Guard jipay surprises Pirate Captain Green Hair and starts an epic swashbuckling sword fight!

ptv_15.jpg

Bonaparte almost makes it to the warning bell but Mister Phes has different plans for him...

ptv_16.jpg

While ImperialShadows sets the Tavern on fire, Pirate Sinner slits the throat of the most beautiful woman in the world!

ptv_17.jpg

After setting the Inn on fire, scurvy Pirate CopMike sneaks up on Imperial Soldier TheBrickster and smacks him on the head with a mace.

OK, creative critics: have at it! :grin:

Very nice! Although I'm suprised that Sinner is using a sword to cut Hinckley's the wench's head off rather than using his blue bucket to hit his head off! That could be an improvement. And I'm glad I'm not in there, because I would end up severely bashed!

Well done Hink, especially for making such great use of the time cruisers hull - something not often done. Four thumbs up. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::pir-sceptic:

Ok, I'm going to have to resign from the staff now and save myself the embarrassment of going against entries like this. I don't have the space, time, or skill :pir-blush: to even come close... :pir_bawling:

Oooh, look at the pretty flames. :pir-cry_happy: I like the pretty flames. Watch me make them bigger! :pir-devil:

Hey... what's that ugly broad doing dirtying Sinner's blade with her nasty blood? Oh, I see now, that's no dame, that's Governor Hinckleman in disguise. I must admit, he fills that dress nicely, though... Too many months at sea. Too many months at sea. Oooh, flames. :pir-sweet:

:pir_laugh2:

Very nicely done as always Hinckley, this looks great! Now, for my criticism...

Where is the duplo block? Without it I'm sorry to say we shall have to have your entry disqualified. :pir-tongue:

Um.... yeah that's about it. :pir-sceptic: There's to much to like about this MOC, I can't find anything else to criticise. How annoying...

The tavern and the inn are both really nicely done, even if they are only façades. You used some neat designs on them, I really like them! The pirate ship is also very cool. Fantastic job, I'm glad your not in the main competition, other wise I might not even consider trying to enter! :pir_laugh2:

Wow nice work. So glad you're staff. The first picture, the one the entry is judged on, crops the boat rather badly.

There was also way to many pictures (up to 6)? But I can't fault the MOC, great work. So glad you're staff.

that's a really great entry Hinckley but... you can't enter the contest with it , the rules are clear!

One Duplo block must be used somewhere in the creation,

I want to see your duplo block !

Staff member must express joy while building their entry.

you were sad while building it! I saw you !

Entries must be sadistic and push the limits of good taste. If we don't question the sanity and stability of the staff member, the entry will be disqualified and the staff member dismissed from EB.

that don't "push the limit of good tastes" enough for me !

There is a 1 million picture minimum for every entry. Comics are encouraged!

I think you'll have to add some pics :P

but I guess that staff don't have to obey to rules.. they're staff :P

seriously ^^

Your entry is really awesome, the boat is cool and the buildings are WAOW ( I love the white one! ) :pir-wub:

I don't really know how to improve it, I'll just say "just make a snot water" but I think it's nice like this, maybe put something on the back ( where there is grass) it looks empty to me^^

so... 9.95/10 for me :P

Edited by Guss

poor Bonerparty.... :pir-cry_sad:

Captain green hair looks a lot faster,

must be his new haircut. :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Teddy

Haha!

Great and humorous entry Hinckley! I loved seeing all of the sig-figs in action and the white marble building is lovely. :pir-wub:

The front of the ship has a nice angle to it and also has great details.

The only thing I would improve would be:

1) Where's the smooth water!? :pir-tongue: It certainly seems as though you would have plenty of blues tiles to SNOTify the water for that all-important smooth look.

Even with that, your entry is beautiful. I think you did a great job on this.

Before I start commenting on the MOC itself I must say this:

Entries must be sadistic and push the limits of good taste. If we don't question the sanity and stability of the staff member, the entry will be disqualified and the staff member dismissed from EB.

It is a bit sadistic indeed, but it doesn't push the limits of good taste to me (that either means your entry needs to be more tasteless, or that my standard is way too high :pir-tongue: )

And I'm not questioning your sanity and stability on this either. I already did, actually.

So all I can say now is: beef up the sadisticness!! :jollyroger:

The word is "sadism" :tongue:

As usual, you’ve made an excellent MOC, Hinckley. There’s plenty of detail in the village, lots of Eurobricks members, and plenty of pirate carnage. I especially love the way you did the pillars in the front of the port. :thumbup:

However, I do have one big criticism: the pirate ship. While the bow and the figurehead are excellent, the stern is simply way too big for a ship that size. It seems like it would just sink the poor boat with its ungainly girth, and it also has far more brown than the front end of the ship – making the colors look a bit unbalanced.

Still, overall I like this entry a lot. If you could improve the back end of the ship, I’d be even happier with it. :pir-wink:

Looks good, Hinckley! (Might as well join the "kissass boat") :pir-tongue:. So much violence! Staff war ON! The only part I think you could improve is the typo where you said "beautiful" woman. I'm pretty sure you meant "hideous". :pir-wink: Don't worry, we all make mistakes. :pir-tongue:

EDIT: Sweet mermaid, seriously. :pir-classic:

Edited by JimButcher

Wow, I am glad you are staff, so the rest uf us don't have to compete with this. I love almost everything about this MOC. The inn, fort and tavern are beautifully made, The pirate ship is very nice. Although I agree the back is too high, and I think you should stretch it out so it is not so round on the bottom. Still beautiful MOC. The best part though is your using only EB Sigfigs for minifigs. Wow. :pir-cry_happy:

My opinion:

Wow...that's....amazing! Especcialy the ship and the high buildings are very beautiful and nicely detailed. :thumbup:

And all those sigfigs that are involved are fantastic as well!

Possible improvements:

1) I am missing some items: like flags, cannons,... aren't they piraty enough in your opinion?:blush:

2) The water could be a little more finished. (see Erdbeereis)

3) Where do you get the time doing all those things with Lego, for EB,...? Are you certain it stays a healthy addiction? :pir-grin:

Edited by zorro3999

Very good entry Hinckley! I really like how you included most staff and members! That wench isn't pretty she's ugly! :P Ha ha, Hinckley's wearing a dress! XD I like the big tall white building! It's very detailed IMO.

Edited by Lego12

I always love Hinckley's creations. The humor is always right on par with the great design! Not only do all of the pictures give clearer details of the MOC, but they also tell a story, and that's fun. :pir-blush:

Wow, this is a great PTV contest entry. The thing I like the most about your MOC is the pirate ship. It is done so well with great detail. I can see that you have put a whole lot of time and effort into your MOC and it looks really good!

LegoKing

Hinckley, amazing piece of work! :thumbup:

The buildings and the ship's designs are just so lovely and wonderful, especially the tavern and inn. Perhaps, its a good addition to the market village. I am surprised that you have me and Brickster's sigfig. Thanks for including us in it, even though we are badly sliced and bashed by KimT and CopMike. :pir-laugh:

Very creative indeed!

Is there a hidden message in Bonaparte being the only one dead? Apart from yourself, of course, but that's expected at this point :pir-tongue:

Anyways, it's an awesome MOC. The building that the duel between Jipay and oh, i can't remember who he's fighting, but anyways, the building is great! Awesome job.

Side note, lots of the staff seem to have Pirate based sigs...

especially for making such great use of the time cruisers hull - something not often done.

Oh really? I didn't know that. I feel cool now! :sweet:

The tavern and the inn are both really nicely done, even if they are only façades.

Thanks, but they do have interiors. They are a tad thin and I didn't furnish them, but they are as deep as the buildings in the upcoming 10193-Medieval Market Village. I would like to expand them to a beefier size, but I would never (well, maybe not never) put up just a facade.

Haha!

1) Where's the smooth water!? :pir-tongue: It certainly seems as though you would have plenty of blues tiles to SNOTify the water for that all-important smooth look.

Is that cost effective? I guess I'd like SNOT water, but blue baseplates are such a precious commodity to some AFOLs, and I don't have a lot of blue. I spend my money on greys, browns and tans...

I will certainly comply there! :grin:

However, I do have one big criticism: the pirate ship. While the bow and the figurehead are excellent, the stern is simply way too big for a ship that size. It seems like it would just sink the poor boat with its ungainly girth, and it also has far more brown than the front end of the ship – making the colors look a bit unbalanced.

Thank you for saying this. I can't stand the stern of that ship. I forced using those Fabuland chests to create the cool facade, but it is too thick. That's why I cropped the stern out of the first shot, I know it's not right. I really need to revisit that. I'm not happy with it at all. There's a reason I never photographed the back of the boat. It's almost embarrassing. I kind of rushed it because I was taking so much longer on this than I had expected to. This is the one big thing I'd like to fix. Thanks for the advice.

1) I am missing some items: like flags, cannons,... aren't they piraty enough in your opinion?:blush:

Good point. I think I forgot about this and grabbed the camera instead...

Thanks for the compliments guys! This is a fun build and I appreciate having great tips to go back and work from. See you for round 2! :pir-grin:

This is excellent Hinck! What a great creation, and I'm not just saying that because I get to be the Imperial Soldier - although did I have to get BONKED in the head with a mace! :pir-angry:

What I really like is the height of the design and the blue building. The tudor-style design and colors you selected look terrific. Equally nice is the top of the tower and the battle scene (minus the BONKING).

Overall, another very nice MOC by a very creative builder. :thumbup: