Sign in to follow this  
Olog

PtV contest entry : small

thindexedgif.gif Vig. 22a

Pirates have been known to pillage and plunder, to kill, disembowel and dismember , but what makes pirate so unbelievably horrible, is their Horrible Memory! They already pillaged and killed everyone weeks ago, silly pirates.

3071155327_ec891470d4.jpg

Full size here

Just trying to go with something different than most entries so-far. The lighting suggests flames and fires from pillaging in process outside the MOC.

Thanks for viewing! :D

Edited by SlyOwl

ahah , funny entry Olog, and really nicely done ^^ I noticed that they already pillaged this village, but they didn't find the treasure ... are they going to find it now ? ^^

Thanks Guss!

They keep forgetting if they really found the treasure.

The opened lid on the treasure chest, and the spilled barrel (which contains some sort of yellow liquid, and not gold) suggests that it's been completely looted.

I like this, especially the skeleton tied to the roof, which indicates clear intentional and unneccesary violence. I love thinking about how he (I think the hat is mostly used for males) ended up there. Maybe his eyelids were torn off to force him to look up into the sun all day, becoming very painful. Being in this state for a few days after which he slowly dried out, getting thin enough to nearly escape, but then sadly hanging himself in the process. Love it!

One minor problem would be the door, at first I kept thinking it was the doormat. Maybe you can make it look more like a rammed in door if you leave small pieces of wood still on the hinges, this would however probably be hard to make nicely as you used that beautiful print. Or maybe I am wrong and it is not meant to be a rammed door.

The lighting suggests flames and fires from pillaging in process outside the MOC.

The lighting certainly is am interesting touch - I wonder if the effect could be further accentuated with a darker background!

One minor problem would be the door, at first I kept thinking it was the doormat. Or maybe I am wrong and it is not meant to be a rammed door.

I was wondering about that too, I noticed there was some kind of texture on two of the tiles and wondering if perhaps that was meant to represent some kind of fire, but after reading Lord King of Everything's post I'd be leaning more towards the door theory.

This is a really great small entry Olog!

It looks so nice and smooth with the tiles and I love the rammed-in door.

One thing I would recommend, is to put some small brown pieces, such as round 1 x 1s or lightsaber bars, to make it look like some debris fell on the floor when the wood cracked.

Nice work!

My opinion:

This IS very good. There is not so much I can say or suggest because the (small) size of it and the fact it already feels quite complete and finished.

Adding the extra light to represent fires and pillaging was an inventive and smart thing to do ! Also the chimney looks very good (because of the colors and the small hole in it)

:thumbup: from me for this MOC.

Maybe his eyelids were torn off to force him to look up into the sun all day, becoming very painful. Being in this state for a few days after which he slowly dried out, getting thin enough to nearly escape, but then sadly hanging himself in the process.

Cruel, cruel, cruel, cruel !!! I LOVE IT TOO, everyone can make up his own story !

Possible improvements:

1) The door: as said, make it look more damaged. Follow the advise given to you by Lord King of Everything, Mss. Phes and Erdbeereis1. Add some small brown pieces lying around the room.

2) Maybe you could add some fire damage, or debris from when the Alzheimer pirates attacked first.

PS: The broken wall is really a nice touch !

3) Adding another passive character, (like a parrot or bird on the roof) could add a (little) more "color".

This is, however, no necessity at all. I would try it and see how it looked.

Non-brick related advise:

1) Your MOC is build to be seen from this side. I understand that, and taking pictures from the other sides would be quite useless. I would take (and post) more pictures though, eg. zoom-ins of the treasure chest, the dead guy on the roof and the pirate.

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions, there are some changes that I will apply. I will certainly work on the door, I see the confusion in that. I also think a gray parrot would look good :D . And more detailed shots will follow.

Mr. Phes, unfortunately I don't have any black or dark backgrounds, but I'll see what I can find :)

Wow! This is one of the best entries I have seen so far! You did so much with so little space! I actually had trouble deciding what to make on such a small area and you showed us how much creativity you have! I like how you made a big twist!

Minifigs: The minifigures are great! The Pirate looks real menacing! The skeleton that is bleeding is really nice and I like how he has a sword stabbed through him! The other skeleton on the roof is just as good.

Details: The details are amazing. The door is nice and I like how it can be opened and closed. I like the design on the door! The blood coming out of the skeleton is really cool and it looks realistic. The SNOT looks amazing! The stairs are really cool and it was a good decision to add them. The barrel and treasure chest are really nice touches. The roof is neat and the chimney is really well designed.

Imrovements: The door should look more damaged as other people have said. You should add another person or animal in the room like a bird or parrot. You should also add some fire in the house or building.

Overall: Your entry is one of the best so far and I really like it! I believe that you will be one of the winners for the competition! Just follow some of my improvements and I think that it will be amazing! I wish you good luck!

Edited by lego12

I like the house, the idea i must say is very original and clever. It adds a touch of humor.

Opinion

Wow, I am impressed on how you fit this entire building into such a small entry. I like how you made two stories and a roof with a skeleton hanging by a chain ontop of it. I like the beard on the pirate. It practically covers his whole torso. The skeleton on the bottom floor with the sword stuck through him, sweet. I also like the tile placement and how you arranged them. On the second level, I like the spilled gold effect. Up to the roof. I see you made you roof slanting upwards. Nice touch. Also, nice chimney with the skeleton pirate hanging off of it by a chain. Nice effect.

Possible Improvements

1) You can take more pictures of your MOC and also include some close-up shots on the treasure cheast.

2) You could add a pirate or two and have a battle because I can't really tell what is going on.

3) Another thing is that I don't see any blood at all in your MOC.

4) In your story, you say the pirate came into a house and everyone was killed. I would try not to have humor in this contest.

Overall- This is a great Moc. Great use of space and creativity. I wish you the best of luck!

LegoKing

This is a great entry! I disagree with those who don't like the humor here, I think part of what makes contests like these interesting is seeing different interpretations of a theme. To me, the implied past violence is what makes this entry interesting to me.

I love the "cutaway" look of the house. Is the use of slopes and inverted slopes on the rear wall of the first floor supposed to provide perspective and look like a stairway leading to the upper level? That is what it seems to me--very creative use of these pieces.

The open treasure chest with the few lingering pieces of gold--clearly lost in the struggle a few weeks ago--is a nice touch, as is the skeleton hanging from the roof.

A few suggestions: The busted-in door is not altogether obvious as a door at first glance. Do you have any tiles with a wood-print design (there is such a thing, I think)? Also, you might consider propping the door up (maybe with a subtle hinge?) so as to give the scene more action. Propping the door up at an angle would give the appearance that it is in the process of flying inwards after being kicked, and it would certainly make it seem more like a door.

The only other thing I would change is the chimney. It's much to blocky for my tastes. I think a smaller, rounder chimney would be more effective and look more suitable to the time period and the structure you have built.

As others have suggested, you might take some more detailed photos, but since the model depends on forced-perspective, honestly I think the one photo stands for itself.

Overall I think this is a great entry and I look forward to see what improvements and modifications you will make.

4) In your story, you say the pirate came into a house and everyone was killed. I would try not to have humor in this contest.

I don't see why not. I haven't been a member of eurobricks for a long time, but even I know that gore and humor (together) are symbolic to this place.

I grew up watching cartoons like Cow and chicken, I.M. Weasel, dexter (the old stuff) and that kind of humor rubbed in on me.

I think it shows how cruel the pirates really are, and on top of that, they're taking that for granted, blindly pillaging the same place multiple times.

3) Another thing is that I don't see any blood at all in your MOC.

There is blood, dried up blood on the floor under the skeleton. And besides, I do not agree that gore only resumes to guts and blood, there's more subtle ways to show gore in a creation. Like the hung skeleton for example, Lord King of Everything (poster above) got the idea there.

I love the "cutaway" look of the house. Is the use of slopes and inverted slopes on the rear wall of the first floor supposed to provide perspective and look like a stairway leading to the upper level? That is what it seems to me--very creative use of these pieces.

Actually that's supposed to be wooden beam in the wall. And nope, no wood print parts in my collection, but I'll see what I can do about the door. I also like the chimney Idea, I might change that too.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by Olog

I also disagree with Legoking that there mustn't be humor in this contest.. really why not ?

and I don't think that the entry MUST have some blood to be a good entry, I really think this one is nice,

but now that Cameron Talley noticed the chimney.. there is the high part of the chimney, but where is the bottom ? inside the house ? ^^

I also disagree with Legoking that there mustn't be humor in this contest.. really why not ?

and I don't think that the entry MUST have some blood to be a good entry, I really think this one is nice,

but now that Cameron Talley noticed the chimney.. there is the high part of the chimney, but where is the bottom ? inside the house ? ^^

It is a good entry. All I am saying is to be a bit more gory than funny. Thats all.

Alright. Where do I start? Ah, the strange chimney. I needs to lead inside the house, as said before. Does this count as stacking baseplates? Of course the pirates would have found the treasure last time! It doesn't take two times! I can see you added blood on the floor but he's been dead for a long time, correct? He is a skeleton, after all. How did the pirates put that guy on the roof? Okay, I guess my work here is done!

MOC On! :jollyroger:

Hmm I could not find this entry in the PTV forum. It was my favorite! Does this mean we cannot vote for it?

Thanks for the heads up, I would've forgotten about this too if it wasn't for your reminder. I also re-posted the main picture in the first post. I'm not going to modify this one anymore, my time is all taken up by preparations for the first ever Lego event in Romania, and of course my large entry for PTV.

Thanks for all the comments.