Sign in to follow this  
The Cobra

4920: The Rapid Rider Review

indexed.gif

Set data

4920: The Rapid Rider

Year: 1999

Subtheme: Rock Raiders

Pieces: 37 (+1 extra - TrNeonGreen Plate 1 x 1 Round)

Price: Euro 3,50, used, not including S/H, on eBay

Building time: less than 10 minutes.

More info: Bricklink - Peeron.

I could have owned the 4910 Hover scout (see Metalandi's review here), but while I was buying some used sets, I forgot to buy that one too!

So, here's my only RR set, the second smallest one (if we don't count Japanese promos; sweets are surely sweeter if they come with a Lego set!)

Pieces:

dscf3859gr7.jpg

dscf3860jn6.jpg

Face and torso closeup; I like the torso, the face is good except for the bandanna.

dscf3867ps0.jpg

Building is based on two big pieces: Landing Skids and Plate 6 x 6 x 2/3 Cross with Dome. Let's go!

dscf3868pr1.jpg

dscf3869tp4.jpg

dscf3870rm0.jpg

dscf3871tc7.jpg

dscf3872qz1.jpg

dscf3873dk3.jpg

Building is over:

dscf3874uj3.jpg

Review:

Pros: Small set (= cheap), 1 fig, two accessories, some interesting pieces like the rock and the Crystal. No stickers but 3 printed pieces! Good color choice.

Cons: Tipper Bucket is fixed, no hinge. No levers or steering wheel, it probably moves by using the buttons on the 2x2 tile.

It deserves a 4/5.

This was the first Rock raiders set I got. I really like it, and I think I got all of them except the huge cargo airlift thing. I remember these sets coming out and getting the big base for Christmas, though they are all destroyed now... sadly... :cry_sad:. Nice Review.

When I first saw this review title, I thought it said "Rapid River Review" thinking it was an Indian set (6766).

Nice review though. I never got into Rock Raiders. I would have loved the large drill bit piece for set #s 4970 and 4940.

This set looks like a little boulder hawler, and a nice set to introduce someone unfamilar with the theme. I esp. like the fig and the little 2x2 drill bit tile. The overall set looks like it has some very useful mining-type pieces.

Nice review and thanks for sharing.

Rock Raiders was the shit back in the day. Awesome theme! I had this set as well as the Tunnel Transporter, which was amazing.

Thanks for the review! Rock Raiders was one of the last new themes i knew as a kid before my dark ages came. Unfortunately i never managed to get any sets from it, beside a few months ago the 4910 The Hover Scout, which i review a while ago. Wish i can get some of the bigger sets in the future.

I always thought that this set was under-rated. It contains a really interesting collection of parts, a decent fig, and introduces an odd theme in only one set. Very well designed for one of the 'not greats'.

God Bless,

Nathan