Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

Is it OK to mix dark skinned mini-figures with yellow mini-figures?

Ahoy there!  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is it OK to mix dark skinned mini-figures with yellow mini-figures?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends

No, I honestly don't think that the yellow Han, Luke, and Leia look silly at all - because you still can recognize them very well.

Neither do I, I was just saying that if making a yellow Lando would be silly, then making yellow other characters would be silly. None of them are yellow in real life, are they?! :pir-wink:

It's not a matter of skin color as much as it is trying to make the figures easy to relate to their movie counterparts. :pir-wink:

That's why TLC went fleshy... The thing is, as Sinner said earlier - the Lego versions of the characters don't look much like the real ones at all. They have a vaguely similar body order, but the only thing TLC made that was close to a real person would have been Galidor figures!

:skull:

I'm not sure how to vote, but I think it looks wrong when I have to mix my yellow Star Wars/Harry Potter figures with my pink/brown figures.

Duplo-wise, that token brown firefighter is the only dark skinned Duplo figure in the shop at the moment. I emalied TLG about it (I'd like my daughter to have a bit of a racial mix in her toys!) but they were a bit blasé about it. Personally I think it's a problem, but they don't seem to.

Personally then I see yellow figures as neutral so I deliberately keep the pink and brown heads out of my non-licensed collections.

It's all a matter of imagination and personal preference, really. I think it's OK to mix them if you need more diversity - I do it sometimes - plus I agree that the original yellow wasn't supposed to be race-neutral, I think it was rather a matter of the palette they were using at the time and yellow was the closest to "white" skin... I actually remember myself moaning about the lack of dark skinned minifigs when I was a kid... And using the Castle series ghost's black head instead - which was a poor substitution as it had no face at all (and BTW if you ask me - they really should re-introduce those ghost minifigs, perhaps with some more colours to choose from, like the black and white skeletons)...

When I was a kid I never thought about different races, they were yellow lego people from no specific country, basta. And yes I had pirates, lots of them, but to be honest I never thought that the imperial troops might be english or spanish or whatever. It was all lego.

Now things changed a lot. I have a really big problem with the licenced minifigs, in my opinion it looks terrible to mix yellow and light flesh. ( I am just glad Indiana Jones and Batman started with the latter and will hopefully not change it's colour! )

So my plan is to get rid of the yellow minifigs, sort them out once they are available in light flesh to have some common style. This is only about Star Wars though, my classic themes like city and pirated will never meet anyone with light flesh colour!

Well and Lando is Lando. Like in the movie, all the trouble started with him. :pir-blush: No, to be honest I would always mix yellow with dark flesh aka Lando head (I really only have his head, there are not too many around besides him.) I would always mix light flesh and dark flesh, of course. But yellow and light flesh?? NO WAY!! Looks horrible..

You said you thought it was fine that fleshies and yellow guys went together, so what's that about? :pir_wacko:

I did? Cool! Didn't know that :pir-grin:

On a more serious note, I never said that. Actually I quite detest the combination of Fleshie and yellow if they both are to represent human beings.

Especially if most of your minifigs are yellow it's very annoying. But that's a personal taste of course.

TLC didn't make 'big Caribbean pirate ships', they made tiny 8 man pirate ships, so don't expect to have racial diversity on every one of them (:pir-wink:).

True enough, but I did!! :pir-tongue: This poll isn't only about the ships TLC made, is it?

Why would they get sued for racial diversity? I expect they're more likely to get sued for not having racial diversity :pir-grin:!

Apparently some (Americans) have a different opinion than you. :pir-grin:

It's not a question of MOCs, it's a question of adding a dark-skinned minifigure to a crew of yellow minifigures on a small 8-12 man pirate ship. If you have a larger ship (I do! :pir-laugh:), than it's a different story, but you have to think in context of the question... that's why it was posted in the Pirates forum :pir-grin: .

Not so sure about that. Nobody ever said it was about ships with a 8-12 man crew, or am I mistaking now?

Yes, the only problem is the group you have less of will stand out, but thats a minor problem.

I did? Cool! Didn't know that :pir-grin:

On a more serious note, I never said that. Actually I quite detest the combination of Fleshie and yellow if they both are to represent human beings.

You did say that...

\/ \/ \/

Ofcourse it is OK!

Especially on ship crews it would at least look nice.

Havin only yellow crew-men on a big Caribbean pirate ship seems unrealistic to me.

People with a dark flesh tone still have flesh, don't they? :pir-tongue::pir-sceptic:

Edited by Shoc

You did say that...

Really? I guess I forgot. At least I can't find it.

Could you please quote it? :pir-blush:

People with a dark flesh tone still have flesh, don't they? :pir-tongue::pir-sceptic:

Excellent slogan for any Human Rights organisation! :pir-tongue:

Really? I guess I forgot. At least I can't find it.

Could you please quote it? :pir-blush:

What I said wasn't exactly what you said, but I did quote it, in my post above...

I think it is ok to mix them, it ads more diversity and realism to the crew.

Unfortunately I don't have any brown/reddish brown/dark flesh heads :pir_bawling: (don't have hands or torsos in those colours either). They're kinda hard to come by in the Netherlands (only about 1 or 2 BL stores with nba heads or minifigs if I looked correctly, and I can't find torsos and hands for them).

Eh, I say mix em! Don't really see what the big deal is, but then again I'm not as much of a stickler as some people are.

Anyway. A personal project of mine CALLS for some African characters, so yeah, I have to sorta mix the heads some. I WOULD use fleshies for my caucasian characters (which makes up about half the crew... theres 22 major characters so far), but I don't have but the ones from the ESB Millenium Falcon. Also, fleshies are still limited in terms of facial expression, and while I'm sure I COULD find suitible heads for all my European characters in fleshie color and leave my middle eastern/Asian ones yellow, it's much easier to just use all yellows and use the few brown heads for Africans.

On the side note, I agree that there needs to be more diverse heads in other colors! One of my said Africans is a young Taureg woman, and I really don't want to be reduced to using the generic smiley for her face.

Yellow is universal skin tone, so why mix it with another? If you use fleshies, then you can mix whatever colors you want...pretty simple.

I tend to agree that yellow is the universal skin tone too. The only other reason is due to myself having only one dark skinned minifigure in my collection.

Well it depends what head you are using because the basketball player heads were much more detailed than the regular minifig heads so i guess they would fit in with fleshie. But if your using more basic faces then then black minifigs would fit in with both fleshie and yellow.

i think its fine to add a little diversity to lego town . Now the real question is should we mix fleshie and yellow minifigs??

Why wouldn't it be OK to mix dark minifigs with yellow ones? I think it isperfectly fine, but itis up to the builder. Some people want to stick to the old fashion yellow, same want to mix yellow and brown, and others are turning to the new color (featured in indiana Jones series). For God's sake, its LEGO- which means you can do whatever you want ;) :D

Just a quick info, I am actually wokring on this huge project and part of it is going to be a new faction that consist of brown figures. I will also have some brown figures in my other factions, as generals or something else ;)

I think that it looks great to have a diverse crew

I have it in this Moc

The only problem is that the darker skinned tones blend in with the rigging :imperialguard_commander1:

Infomaniac

Edited by Infomaniac

I like to mix fleshies and yellows sometimes. And white heads - the ones you see in my sigfig. Oh, and I recently got a bunch of Fabulanders, so I'll mix those in as well - I think it's all allowed, it's the creator of the MOC who decides on what they'll use and why.

This is a tricky subject. Personally, I believe that mixing yellow with brown figures does create a nice look, and works especially well for pirate crews. However, such mixing has gained Lego a lot of criticism, and I believe may be partially responsible for creating flesh tones. Personally I believe that dark-skinned minifigures do a better job of representing black characters, but it can also be quite difficult to gather sufficient amounts of properly colored heads to create the right amount of diversity. So I usually just end up using yellow as a universal tone, and group all realistic tones together in licensed themes.

The Simpsons mix dark skinned with yellow. :pir-wink:

Thus, I voted yes.

I agree with all those who said yes :pir_laugh2: , because like Sir Dano said the Simpsons have mixed yellow and darker coloured skin tones, so why cant Lego?

However, I think you would need a lot of dark skin heads if you were to say, put some on a Pirate model so I say only do so if you have plenty of choice and lots of dark skin minifigs to put those heads on.

Yes, I do think its alright to mix dark skinned mini-figures with yellow mini-figures. Although I don't think its alright to mike yellow mini-figures with light skinned mini-figures because I think that the yellow substitutes for light skin. (nothing racist intended) :pir-wink::pir-classic: