Sign in to follow this  
Captain Green Hair

The Telesell

This is a beautiful ship indeed. And I have a question, How hard was it to swap the boat hull tops? I am considering trying it for myself, but I don't want to go breaking anything.

-Matt

Very, very nice.

Here are some details of note that I really like...

The front mast leans forward, the rudder is control by hand, and the back end slopes up away from the boat. All classic Xebec features.

Good work on the rigging too, as is to be expected from the Green man.

I also like how you got it to work using "classic" pirate pieces like the regular, prefabbed pirate hulls.

I wonder though, since Xebecs have such a unique shape, if a brick built hull could look even more authentic? We'll have to wait on that I suppose.

Until then, double thumbs up!

Thanks for the kind words guys! :thumbup:

This is a beautiful ship indeed. And I have a question, How hard was it to swap the boat hull tops? I am considering trying it for myself, but I don't want to go breaking anything.

-Matt

Our member Dreamweb has made a tutorial about it.

You have to get the screws out, and then it's a bit of fiddling to get them loose.

Good thing is they stay put without the screws after. :pir-classic:

Awesome. I also have questions about the sails. I bought the Brickbeards Bounty and have started work on my own brig. I know that I am going to have to address the custom sail issue sooner or later.

The time has come to revive this thread.

First of all, I find the shape and look of these Xebec ships amazing. The Lego version of Captain Green Hair is equally amazing!

Why do I revive this thread? Aha, I'm working on a new version of this Xebec. I wasn't the original builder (that was CGH), but I'll be using his ship as a basis for my version, that's why I'm calling it version 2.0 :pir-classic:

What will I change compared to this ship?

1. I'll make it one mid section longer

2. I'll add tumblehome.

3. The stern will be a little bit longer.

4. Some modifications to the rigging

Modifications 1,2 and 3 will make the ship more sleek/streamlinked.

I'm making good progress on the ship, but I need to wait now for a large BL order to arrive before I can continue building. Finishing this shouldn't take half a year like my other ship "HMS Prince of Wales".

I agree with everyone in that this is a marvelous ship. The shape, colors, contours its all done with a keen attention to detail. I do, however, have a couple questions. Why are the cannons mounted directly to the ship? Also, why is the spacing of the cannons somewhat sporadic? There is a gap of 9 studs and then 2 studs between port holes.

I want to agree with every word you said, but everyone knows that John Deere tractors are garbage... so I can't.

First of all, I find the shape and look of these Xebec ships amazing. The Lego version of Captain Green Hair is equally amazing!

Why do I revive this thread? Aha, I'm working on a new version of this Xebec. I wasn't the original builder (that was CGH), but I'll be using his ship as a basis for my version, that why I'm calling it version 2 :pir-classic:

2. I'll add tumblehome.

I'm making good progress on the ship, but I need to wait now for a large BL order to arrive before I can continue building. Finishing this shouldn't talk half a year like my other ship "HMS Prince of Wales".

Do you have any WIP teasers/pictures ready for us yet? :pir-sweet:

Will you be using the same small ship pieces or will you use the bigger ones?

Why do I revive this thread? Aha, I'm working on a new version of this Xebec. I wasn't the original builder (that was CGH), but I'll be using his ship as a basis for my version, that why I'm calling it version 2 :pir-classic:

2. I'll add tumblehome.

I'm making good progress on the ship, but I need to wait now for a large BL order to arrive before I can continue building. Finishing this shouldn't talk half a year like my other ship "HMS Prince of Wales".

Stealing my design ey! :devil:

The WIP pictures looked quite good, i'll see it live real soon. :pir-wink:

I want to agree with every word you said, but everyone knows that John Deere tractors are garbage... so I can't.

Uhm, i'm not sure if i am getting you there buddy...?

Uhm, i'm not sure if i am getting you there buddy...?

One of the people who posted had a John Deere logo as an avatar. Being a good International Harvester man, I could not let it go.

Totally Lego Pirate UNRELATED. :pir-blush:

There are no real WIP pics, just some I've shown to the Captain. I think I'll wait until the ship is ready to present it in all it's glory :pir-sweet:

Very fine ship, almost no difference with the real model, (ben ook niet anders van je gewend :pir-classic: ) I don't know anything to add to it, it's just very good :thumbup: I like xebecs (or chebecks) but I don't think they are very strong, they don't have very much cannons (except for frigate-xebecs), but the shape is nice to see.

Ah yes, but whilst not being that strong, xebecs often were rather fast. A lot faster than your average 44-gun heavy frigate at least!
That's true, but a frigate with as few cannons as a chebeck would be about as fast as a chebeck,wouldn't it? :pir_laugh2:

That's true, but a frigate with as few cannons as a chebeck would be about as fast as a chebeck,wouldn't it? :pir_laugh2:

Nope, because of the sleek shaped hull and the Lateen sails, Chebecs were the fastest ships around.

They were also able to sail into the wind at high speed, something a frigate just can't do. :pir-wink:

Nope, because of the sleek shaped hull and the Lateen sails, Chebecs were the fastest ships around.

They were also able to sail into the wind at high speed, something a frigate just can't do.

Oh, these ships seem quite perfect designed.. So the only reason why the Royal Navy didn't build them was lack of firepower? (btw, why didn't the Royal Navy build ships with such sails so they could also sail into the wind?)

There are no real WIP pics, just some I've shown to the Captain. I think I'll wait until the ship is ready to present it in all it's glory :pir-sweet:

You've made me very curious now, since the Xebec of CGH was already a masterpiece...

We will see where you come up with! :thumbup:

I've heard the Xebecs didn't lay deep in the water like frigates did, making them faster.

A deep ship has also trouble with undercurrents which slows the ship down.

I also think I know the reason why there weren't many Xebecs in Europe. Naval battles were decided by destroying the opponent's fleet, and then are slow, heavy armed ships very useful.

I like to imagine a battle between the Santissima Trinidad (four decks(!) and 130+ guns) against a Xebec... :pir-skull:

Edited by Cap'n Blackmoor

I like to imagine a battle between the Santissima Trinidad (four decks(!) and 130+ guns) against a Xebec...
Yes I like that too :pir_laugh2: but only if the xebec doesn't have any masts (otherwise he would just sail out of range) so he can get a full broadside :pir-classic:

Oh, these ships seem quite perfect designed.. So the only reason why the Royal Navy didn't build them was lack of firepower? (btw, why didn't the Royal Navy build ships with such sails so they could also sail into the wind?)

I'm not sure, but I think this rigging wasn't suited for big and heavy ships.

I think it is the combination of the sleek, light hull and the lateen sails which made the xebec fast and agile.

I also think I know the reason why there weren't many Xebecs in Europe. Naval battles were decided by destroying the opponent's fleet, and then are slow, heavy armed ships very useful.

Oh, but there were! The xebec actually was a Mediterranean(Europe) sail ship, often used by merchants and also favoured by pirates. BTW, the french navy has also used xebecs.

Sounds promising. It will be a task to live up to the original Captain GreenHair design, but you will pull it off Im sure of it.

Cheers

-HMS

Wow, a true beauty! I love both yours and Bonaparte's versions, they are both truly beautiful! Well done mate :thumbup: