Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

The New Pirate Forum Skin - Have your say

Hinckley started this new skin and now it's been handed over me to finish off.

So here's an opportunity to submit some input - say what you like about the new skin, what you don't like, etc.

There's also a new Pull Down Menu with short cuts to the various sections of Classic-Pirates.com

menu.gif

The menu items may change depending on what users would like to see.

*y* I love the Menu option

*n* The lettering should be bold for easier reading

*n* Maybe add some texture to the background below the water line...or else it looks kinda bland.

*y* Parchment look!

-The turqouise banners (in between each thread title) looks a bit odd against the parchement.

*y* Banner at the top. But what will happen to the ones you made for the forum before?

*y* Thread Icons

I know the aqua spacing between each table cell is annoying, but currently that's the only way to keep the border away from the banner. Phes, I think it looks great! I asked this somewhere else, but we can move the discussion here: is the board table at a fixed width? I like the drop down menu. Could you change the font to something besides Times New Roman in the drop down menu? maybe add a little text under the word menu that says, "this menu will navigate you to Classic-Pirates.com"

Anyway, I couldn't be happier to have one skin off of my plate. I'm a control freak when it comes to the forum skins, but this one is yours and I'm glad you have taken control of it. If you need any graphic help let me know... :-$

I think it looks great, except for one thing: the blue is a bit heavy on the eyes and would be better if it was a bit lighter, darker or greyer IMO.

Keep up the great work Phes! *y*

Precisely which lettering are you referring to?

The lettering for thread titles. It's harder to read them than before.

Besides those issues, I'm loving it! *wub*

Aha, there's a table in that there banner...nice. I am going to steal the script from here. Thanks in advance. :-$

I know the aqua spacing between each table cell is annoying, but currently that's the only way to keep the border away from the banner.

There are ways around that...

Phes, I think it looks great! I asked this somewhere else, but we can move the discussion here: is the board table at a fixed width?

Aha, there's a table in that there banner...nice. I am going to steal the script from here. Thanks in advance. :-$

Why thank you! But you can't steal that because I already told you how to do it weeks ago :-P

I like the drop down menu. Could you change the font to something besides Times New Roman in the drop down menu?

The Drop Down Menu will get a complete overhaul eventually, I've only added to show everyone how it works.

maybe add a little text under the word menu that says, "this menu will navigate you to Classic-Pirates.com"

There's not enough space horizontally on smaller resolutions. That much text will cause it to wrap down to the next line and ruin the layout.

Anyway, I couldn't be happier to have one skin off of my plate. I'm a control freak when it comes to the forum skins, but this one is yours and I'm glad you have taken control of it. If you need any graphic help let me know... :-$

I think everything is under control for the moment.

I think it looks great, except for one thing: the blue is a bit heavy on the eyes and would be better if it was a bit lighter, darker or greyer IMO.

I've made the forum area wider so less blue is visible.

I've completely reworked the text, so is that better?

This may be an over the top suggestion, but maybe adding some shading to the body of water might help? Like the sea gets darker and darker as you go down further. Could cause for some nice effects.

It already does get darker as it goes down to about 500 pixels... But exactly how tall does the image file need to be?

Besides those issues, I'm loving it! *wub*

Agree completely.

The thread titles, usernames, posting time and post # all seem to be related, as they're all the same font and hard to read.

Eww, scrolling down now, I see that it's carrying over to the "Last 10 Posts" and making them hard to read as well. Must be a single setting for all of those options.

That said, I love everything else! *y*

I have changed the font and it's size, plus made it bold - is that not helping?

It looks fine on my end.

I have changed the font and it's size, plus made it bold - is that not helping?

It looks fine on my end.

It's always easier to explain with a picture. The top half is how it looks replying to this message, the bottom half is from the minifig customization workshop.

It appears everything I wanted to say has been said and solved already. The borders between the parchmet looks great now!

The only thing I still don't like is the background picture. Still a bit to bland to me.

My suggestion would be waves till the bottom or exactly the same as on Classic-Pirates.

Ah well, it does look quite good as it is now though!

Thanks! *sweet*

I dont know if its just me but, the fonts big, it used to be like this:

post-1558-1206269966.jpg

(thanks Imperialshadows for the pic)

Now its like this:

Nowthis.jpg

And:

This.jpg

It seems a little to big for me.

Just my two pennies worth *sweet*

The reason it's bigger is to improve legibility. If I make text smaller then it'll become more difficult to read because of the texture in the background.

So it's either keep the same size text, or shrink it and remove the parchment texture background.

As I have a resolution of 1650 x 1080 it doesn't seem too big to me, but on a smaller resolution that might be a different matter.

The reason it's bigger is to improve legibility. If I make text smaller then it'll become more difficult to read because of the texture in the background.

So it's either keep the same size text, or shrink it and remove the parchment texture background.

As I have a resolution of 1650 x 1080 it doesn't seem too big to me, but on a smaller resolution that might be a different matter.

The Chat text is alright now, its just your stats: Posts, Location...Its big now

I suppose it could be a size smaller.

Sorry to be a bit of Bother :-P

What do you mean by waves to the bottom? There's no waves to the bottom on Classic-Pirates.com!

True, but the CP parchment is alot broader so you can hardly notice the blandness of the background pict.

I have to say, I'd rather see Verdana than Times New Roman, no matter what the size. I like rounded fonts as opposed to the serifs, just my personal opinion.