Sign in to follow this  
Col. Whipstick

MOC Ship Table of Comparison

Okay guys I went and put my foot in it again by saying it would be nice to compare the HMS Leopard by Capt. K to other ships built by members. Mr. Phes suggested that such a table to compare the ships would be an interesting feature on the www.classic-pirates.com site, rather than as a thread. However we need to get a feel for how this should look and get information off people about their ships. Please look at this temporary 'dummy' table to get an idea of what I'm talking about:

eb_ship_table.gif

Now there are a lot of questions but let's take it a step at a time. Obviously some of your ships have been build and dismantled so you won't have the measurements anymore, in this case I would say we'll just leave that part blank. Obviously no ships will be added that don't have listed photos and we also don't want to start an arms race by people continually upgrading their ship to be bigger or stronger than someone else's so this table is only for ships that are finally complete and the date the ship is listed should be added.

Now, the information we'd need from everyone even if they've already supplied it is the following:

1. What is the name of your ship?

2. What is the type of your ship? Eg. Sloop, Frigate etc.

3. What is the nationality/fraction of your ship? Eg. Spanish, Pirate, Dutch, 'Imperial Guards' etc?

4. What is the purpose of your ship? Eg. Exploration, Trade, Warfare

5. What are the measurements of your ship? Height, width, length in centimeters.

6. What is the name of your Captain if not you?

7. What is your name? (Ship's Builder) Eg. Capt. K

8. How many cannons does your ship have?

9. What is the number of the crew?

10. (Optional) What is your ships home port?

Please add the url code to the information you add so Mr Phes can sort out the images.

This isn't a confirmed action just an idea so let's hear what everyone thinks and if it's worth doing.

This is a good start Col. Whipstick but perhaps it would be easier to create the table in Excel if you have it. Then you could screen capture the table and save it as an image, or link the XLS file directly to the thread.

Updating it in MS Paint will kill you in no time.

This is a good start Col. Whipstick but perhaps it would be easier to create the table in Excel if you have it. Then you could screen capture the table and save it as an image, or link the XLS file directly to the thread.

Updating it in MS Paint will kill you in no time.

I don't have excel or any other program, very limited here. I only used Paint to illustrate the general idea, kinda hoped you'd work the technical angle considering you wanted it to be part of classic-pirates. At any rate, people can just add the data here.

How big would this table get too?

People are pretty lazy on the whole, the simple fact is if they want their ships listed they must provide the information in here, asking us to go roaming through the archives is too much and this way we will be comparing known ships - i.e. the builders are known to us as members here and it's not just some ship on brickself somewhere. It's up to Phessy but I recon it's not worth displaying such a table on classic-pirates.com until we have atleast 10 ships listed.

Counting in studs sounds like a good idea, but hight and stuff is hard to measure in studs......

Also:

Should we include the bowsprite in the length?

Do we take top dimensions, or just the waterline?

The width should ofcourse be measured on the hull, not the yards.

The higt from the top mast to the keel.

In purpouse could piracy be included?

Etc...

Just my thoughts, i think it is a great idea! *y*

Fleets on!!

One is idea this very well with the table.

We should do this that way! I would be pleased about this table.

Capt. K.

Yes length should include the bowsprit and yes Piracy is a purpose but true piracy means there is no nationality because otherwise you're a privateer. So c'mon boys, get out your rulers and start giving us measurements of your ships as well as all the other details.

Should we include the bowsprite in the length?

Do we take top dimensions, or just the waterline?

The width should ofcourse be measured on the hull, not the yards.

The higt from the top mast to the keel.

In purpouse could piracy be included?

I think ppls ships should be listed as big as possible. *y*

Include bowsprits and measure height from the highest tip of the flag pole to the lowest portion of the actual moc. X-D

This is a pretty neat table. Have you or anyone made something similar for official Lego ships?

The idea of having a measurement in studs or bricks is a good idea.

Good idea Captain!

I'll provide the specifications for L'Orient.

But right now I feel very lazy, so it will have to wait a bit.

Good idea Captain!

I'll provide the specifications for L'Orient.

But right now I feel very lazy, so it will have to wait a bit.

Captain? That was two ranks ago for me being a Colonel. :-P

Captain? That was two ranks ago for me being a Colonel. :-P

When you're an emperor you start confusing all those lower ranks :-P

Sorry Sergeant :-D

is this listing for all ships, or just ones using the standard hull pieces or bigger? - Would the smaller ships be listed, like the IMPT?

Yeah, but the King always gets in a right ol' muddle, brigadier! :-P

SlyOwl

Sorry Sergeant :-D

Remember... even a lowly British sergeant doesn't have to take lip from a French emperor... X-D

is this listing for all ships, or just ones using the standard hull pieces or bigger? - Would the smaller ships be listed, like the IMPT?

Yeah, but the King always gets in a right ol' muddle, brigadier! :-P

SlyOwl

I would say all ships regardless of size are welcome so long as they are MOC's so yes, the ones built for the IMTP contest qualify for me. In the end of the day not everyone has access to all the parts and pieces they'd like and I wouldn't want to disqualify their creativity purely on that basis.

Edited by Col. Whipstick

Does the Height include the mast where th sail goes on, or just up to the top deck?

I have two ships, should I post both their measurements or just one(I'll post them tommorow).

Thanks.

Does the Height include the mast where th sail goes on, or just up to the top deck?

I have two ships, should I post both their measurements or just one(I'll post them tommorow).

Thanks.

The total height Axle, so right to the top of the mast. Post both sets of measurements but don't forget to provide details regarding name, captain, nationality, purpose, ship type etc... Oh, and does your cabin feature a minibar? X-D

It easy to measure a ship or any other model. use plates as i have shown here

measure-moc1.jpg

This brig would be 11 2/3 high. same in length. just use plates to measure the length and when we masrure we have to take everything with us, masts and bowsprits etc. imagine we are making a box to set the moc in. what we are measuring is the size of that box.

think this table is a great idea. In this way we can see and contact the builder if we have a question or something other to ask for. and for the nationallity. if the pirate has a base (virtual or a historic one) i think he can put that on. if he hasnt, best would then be to set in the sea area (like Carribean, Indian Ocean, North Sea etc ) . just my thoughts :-$

Hi everyone. i've tried to make such a table as Col. Whipstick talked about. have it on my homepage.

can find it here .

Was it something like this you was thinking about?

Thunder

Hi everyone. i've tried to make such a table as Col. Whipstick talked about. have it on my homepage.

can find it here .

Was it something like this you was thinking about?

Thunder

Yes that's exactly the information but what about measurements on the ships?

oops sorry :-$ . i was focused on the pic of the ships and the table itself. forgot the measurements. but this table was only a prototype anyway. just tried to make something on my homepage. but of corse, if you like it i can always work on this table page.

how if we add the measurements like i have done now? in studs and bricks. and as i have done a * for a measure that is just estimated and not measured.

Edited by Tordenskjold

This is definitly a great idea! *y*

Certainly worth doing.

Too bad all my ships are kinda.... dismantled.. :'-( But soon you shall see a new sail on the horizon!!

There's just one thing about the colour of the table.

It seems a bit hard for the eyes and perhaps a bit boring too. I think the background colour of a pirate forum post would do fine.

I'd love to see a big list of ships here.