Hey all!

We know we are getting a Han Solo movie in 2018, starring Alden Ehrenreich :hmpf_bad: and Donald Glover :classic:

When sets come out for it (they probably will), do you think they will make a new lego head for Alden and Donald? Or will they keep it the same as the old heads?

What do y'all think? :classic:

I think the movie is kinda "iffy," and waiting until now to do it is ridiculous because you can't really replace Harrison Ford, but due to my obsession love for LEGO and Star Wars I will probably get the sets, watch it, buy it, and most likely enjoy it (couldn't be as pad as the prequels...I think). But, they will probably have to make new head prints cause they really look nothing like who they are playing. 

It's not like there is any similarity between Harrison Ford and his lego figure, and the only similarity between Billy Dee Williams and his lego figure is the mustache! Assuming Young Lando will be sporting a similar mustache, I think the existing face prints would do fine, but they'll probably update them with different expressions.

4 hours ago, MaxTube55 said:

I think the movie is kinda "iffy," and waiting until now to do it is ridiculous because you can't really replace Harrison Ford...

Iffy is only halfway to describing my opinion on the matter. I generally like what they do with Star Wars now (Rebels, Rogue One), but I have strong reservations as to HOW they go about it. I'm happy for all fans of Han Solo that they get a movie about his past adventures, but I wonder what they will do - Han Solo is a cool character, but he didn't have much - if any at all - of an arc in the Original Trilogy, and to be honest, I'm kinda sick of stories telling us where already established characters, events, gimmicks etc. come from, especially if there stories are already told. While they are generally doing a good job at introducing and developing new characters - like in The Force Awakens - I have my objections as to how they handle well-established characters, especially those whose stories are not completely told yet and who still have some journey ahead of them.

Case in point: I loved that they had the courage to inject Darth Vader and Ahsoka into season two of Rebels, but aside from two excellent scenes (Ahsoka learning what became of Anakin in the Jedi Temple on Lothal and the two meeting for the last time on Malachor), I was a bit disappointed - not by the superficially ambiguous end (and if you pay attention to what is being said, shown and alluded to throughout the season it's not ambiguous at all - she's alive), but by what little they did with Ahsoka. I understand that they didn't want Vader and Ahsoka to overshadow the Rebels, but if you introduce such characters to a season, do more with them! I'd have made two regular episodes revolving around Ahsoka in addition to what we got - one last mission together with Rex, and one mission on her own. Instead we get only a handfull of scenes, two of them very impactful and nicely done, and that's it - the character is in limbo again. That's not how you do it justice, it's more like throwing a bone - a tasty one, yes, but still only a bone.

Back to Han Solo: What do they want to do with the character, especially now that we know of his greatest contribution to the galaxy as part of the Rebellion already, and his dramatic death at the hands of his own son? Go back to some good old smuggling, or him meeting Chewbacca, or getting the Millenium Falcon? That'd be like going back and show how Vader was as a little kid - oh, wait...! I'm pretty sceptical. I'd rather have stories going forward, to be honest.

So, what about the Lego minifigs? I don't see why Lego wouldn't create new prints for the faces of the younger Han and Lando. I guess they maybe have to, depending on the terms and details of the licensing contracts with Disney.

Edited by DarthTwoShedsJackson

10 hours ago, MaxTube55 said:

I think the movie is kinda "iffy," and waiting until now to do it is ridiculous because you can't really replace Harrison Ford, but due to my obsession love for LEGO and Star Wars I will probably get the sets, watch it, buy it, and most likely enjoy it (couldn't be as pad as the prequels...I think). 

Alden barely resembles Harrison lol :grin:

Also, the prequels weren't too bad for me, because I read the books first :laugh:

I personally think they will use the same heads. It still IS Han and Lando, after all.

In fairness, Ewan Mcgregor doesn't look anything like Sir Alec Guiness, but he was one of the few good things about the prequels, and was the basis for the Obi Wan in the Clone wars. Initially you reject it when a different actor plays a younger version of an established character, but in a short time you tend to just go with it. It's kind of sad that River Phoenix isn't around to play the part, having already played a younger Harrison in Indiana Jones and the last crusade. On the other hand, Anthony Ingruber played a young Harrison in the movie "The age of adeline" (good movie btw) and was incredibly convincing:

8ae1fcdf6dc11ec1f08086a791ddf1516050a55c

True, but Ewan was playing a significantly younger version of Alec's character. However, Alden will likely be playing Han somewhere around the Classic Han (perhaps only a bit younger). And Harrison Ford is so iconic :classic: no one can replace him :sceptic:

Let us assume that this Han Solo anthology film will be set roughly 10 years before the events of A New Hope, making Han and Lando both in their early twenties. In terms of age, the casting works and I have a lot of faith in the acting ability of both actors chosen. 

The main thing I find people talking about is the chance of seeing how Han meets Chewie or Lando or the Falcon etc., but many people are forgetting a key person in Han's past that was just introduced to us last year: Maz Kanata. There is no way anyone can convince me Maz didn't have a significant role in helping Han become a smuggler. Even pirates need mentors, and the idea of getting to see that relationship in more detail, and maybe finding out why Maz refers to Chewie as her boyfriend, would be really interesting. 

Another particularly cool thing they could show is how Han became employed by Jabba the Hutt, or at least how they met. Maybe Lando drags Han to Jabba's to deliver some cargo, before Han inevitably wins the Falcon from Lando. Maybe Maz introduces the two of them? Anyway, sorry for the speculation, its fun and I digress.

No matter the quality of the film, I'm sure the sets will be able to offer us tons of new amazing sets and figs. We're looking at a Star Wars movie likely completely set outside of the view of the war or politics or anything. It will hopefully be an intimate fun personal adventure with Han, delving into how he became the man who helped save the galaxy. We-re probably gonna get to see lots of cool new ships and aliens and all sorts of random things that will make awesome sets. 

Lets just hope that new Han hair piece still works, I'd love to see it in a few sets in the coming years.

I'm kinda 'meh' on the casting myself, but look at it this way: it will be an opportunity for more ANH-era spacecraft and terrestrial vehicles to be added to (or back into) the canon. Considering how Disney culled the lore up and down, pruning awesome ships left and right, I'll be happy to see what they come up with for a Rebels-era timeframe. 

Still, it's a long ways off and not really worth thinking too hard about for now.