kbalage

Lpub3d crashes when trying to open mpd - solved

I'm pretty new here so apologies if I'm asking something known - I've tried to search the forums for an answer but no luck so far.

I'm building a C model of the 42029 pickup using Ldcad 1.5 and I was planning to create instructions with Lpub3D. I made the mistake of not testing my .mpd during the building process with Lpub3D, so I've realized towards the end that the file cannot be opened, Lpub3D crashes when I try to open the file (Lpub3d***.exe has stopped working). As I did not have any other troubleshooting ideas I started to remove submodels and steps in my mpd going backwards to see if I can find the problematic part.
As it turned out the problem is not that simple - different versions of Lpub3D on different operating systems can open different versions of my file.

E.g. version with 8 submodels - opens with Win10/Lpub3d 2.0.14 / opens with Win7/Lpub3d 2.0.14 / opens with Win10/Lpub3d 2.0.14
version with 11 submodels - crashes with Win10/Lpub3d 2.0.14 / opens with Win7/Lpub3d 2.0.14 / opens with Win10/Lpub3d 1.3.4
version with 21 submodels - crashes with all versions (nearly complete model has 60 submodels)

Due to this inconsistency I could not find a single part or submodel causing the issue - above a certain complexity all versions of Lpub3D crashes.

I'm sure Lpub3d supposed to handle a model with ~1000 pieces, so I don't know at this point how to change my file to make it work. Any advise or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by kbalage

That's weird. Could you maybe share the model so I can take a look at it (maybe via a PM if you don't want it public)?

On 2016. 10. 25. at 3:31 PM, legolijntje said:

That's weird. Could you maybe share the model so I can take a look at it (maybe via a PM if you don't want it public)?

Meanwhile I posted the question on the Ldraw forum as well, and as Philo found out the issue was with the headers - Lpub3d did not handle well the empty author field. Once the headers were replaced the files can be opened flawlessly :)

Well, technically the problem was not specifically the author field, but absence of any field. Adding a name line instead of author line works too.