Sven J

MOC: 1/33 wooden passenger wagon (Scandinavian style) with full interior

Hello AFOLs,

as promised, here’s the passenger coach for my Swedish museum train (if you don’t remember, here are links to the locomotive and the freight wagon).

There is no specific prototype for this MOC; instead, I tried to reproduce the characteristic features of several types of wooden pre-WWII Scandinavian coaches.
The wagon is lettered as no. 3 of JMJ, a fictional museum railway, which (by mere chance, of course :wink: ) uses the same abbrevation as the last Swedish line that operated steam locomotives in regular service. As with my previous wagon models, the roof is detachable, so you can see the fully detailed interior:

1000x350.jpg

800x480.jpg

375x550.jpg

960x720.jpg

Tasteful two-tone wall panelling, and a toilet paper roll in the lavatory compartment (see below).
The curtains were inspired by those on marbleman’s Orient Express coaches.

720x480.jpg

A shot of the interior during construction:

900x320.jpg

The lavatory compartment, of course equipped with a toilet brush…

720x480.jpg

… as well as a washbasin, a towel roll and a mirror.

720x480.jpg

Some bogie detail, showing the primary (coil springs) and secondary (leaf spring) suspension and the axle-driven generator for the car’s electrical supply:

720x300.jpg

720x450.jpg

With just over 2100 pieces and a length of 62 studs plus buffers, this is my largest MOC so far. One bench alone consists of 30 parts:

600x300.jpg

I also designed a first-class version of this coach, with only six windows per side and more generous seat spacing; however, due to the lack of time and space, I chose to build only the second-class car (for now, that is).

A video of my TGOJ M3a pulling the museum train will follow as soon as there’s sufficient sunlight to shoot it – at the moment, it’s all dark grey here (some of the photos were taken with exposure times > 1 sec)... As always, you will find additional images and larger versions of the photos in my Bricksafe folder.

Thanks for stopping by!

Best regards,
Sven

Edit: Videos now available here!

Edited by Tenderlok

wonderful, as everything you've done so far.. but I hope the lavatory door will open otherwise...:wacko: (:laugh: I'm a door addicted)

I wonder if there would be some troubles when you negotiate a rise, do such a long trolleys have some tilting in the rail direction?

best regards

Sergio

p.s.: let me know how do you order this huge amount of pieces in so short time.

Thanks all for your kind comments! I’m happy that you like my coach.

5 hours ago, monai said:

I hope the lavatory door will open otherwise...:wacko: (:laugh: I'm a door addicted)

Well, um… no… I suppose the conductor locked it… Did you ever travel by train in Germany? Then you certainly know these yellow stickers – the joy of all travelers:
640x426.jpg
:grin:

5 hours ago, monai said:

I wonder if there would be some troubles when you negotiate a rise, do such a long trolleys have some tilting in the rail direction?

Yes, there is considerable backlash in the 2x2 turntable plates. Of course, the change of grade must not be too abrupt, but rather well-rounded.

5 hours ago, monai said:

p.s.: let me know how do you order this huge amount of pieces in so short time.

I don’t know what you consider a short time, but gathering the parts for this MOC took about 5 weeks. It’s always the same procedure:

1)     Finish the MOC in LDD.

2)     Export a parts list in .xlsx format.

3)     Check which parts I have already in stock.

4)     Order the remaining parts on Bricklink. Since the Bricklink upgrade a few months ago, there is a very useful tool which automatically selects all the shops necessary to get all parts on your wanted list. You can choose between the options „best value“, „cheapest“ and „lowest price“.

Edited by Tenderlok

Oh man...

That's absolutely stunning!

The level of detail in... well.. everything really is something else. I was looking forward to this model since you announced it and boy was it worth the wait!

Dare I still make two suggestions?

For the tables you now have a stud on top of the table because of the bracket you use. Instead you could use a tile (1x2 or 2x2) and simply put it between the side wall and the under-studs of the tan plate. That just fits/holds.

For the steps I would add a plate behind the bottom step so it's a little further out than the top step.

640x426.jpg

Oh yes, I've travelled also by train in Germany, but it was longtime ago, in my youth I was used to buy the inter-rail card, and they were

"Deutsche BundesBhan", very clean precise and.. with working WC. Some friends who are living in your nice country said to me that with the privatization something has changed..now perhaps they are more similar to the italienische "ferrovia"?

Edited by monai

Great job TenderLok! Building larger scales definitely has it's advantages! I really like all those details!

Thank you very much, Hod Carrier, Duq, Selander and JopieK !

18 hours ago, Duq said:

For the tables you now have a stud on top of the table because of the bracket you use. Instead you could use a tile (1x2 or 2x2) and simply put it between the side wall and the under-studs of the tan plate. That just fits/holds.

That’s a really clever idea, thanks! :thumbup:
I have to check if I have enough tiles, then I’ll change the tables.
As for the steps, I already tried that solution when building the car, but I didn’t like it. In my opinion, it looks too bulky in the front view.

8 hours ago, monai said:

[...]
they were "Deutsche BundesBhan", very clean precise and.. with working WC. Some friends who are living in your nice country said to me that with the privatization something has changed..now perhaps they are more similar to the italienische "ferrovia"?

Sadly, I’ve only been to Italy once, and that was by bus, so I don’t have first-hand experience with FS/Trenitalia. But it’s definitely a fact that things have become worse with DB since the privatization. „Clean“ and „precise“ are not exactly the first words that come to a German railway traveler’s mind these days… Maybe that’s one reason for my „railway nostalgia“, building only old-fashioned steam locomotives and their consists.

By the way: I decided to take up your challenge and have a try at the ÖBB 297 2-12-2T.
I once wrote that I don’t like this engine, but strangely, the more often I look at it, the more attractive it gets…
But it could take a VERY long time (6 months? A year? I don’t know.) until this locomotive is actually running – especially as there are still other projects to finish. And please don’t be too disappointed in case that the attempt should even fail completely.

Another masterpiece in a few weeks! *huh*
As you know I love your style and this passenger wagon is epic! :wub:
I like the undercarriage details: the brakes and the bogies with BBB large wheels.
The curtains for the windows and the blue seats are amazing and so are the two balconies of the car :thumbup:
Sleek work!

Fantastic build, again!

Thanks for sharing

Looking forward to see this running with your locomotive(s)!

On 10/24/2016 at 2:23 PM, Tenderlok said:

Hello AFOLs,

"edit: shortened"

This is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing these creations. Brilliant is huge understatement. :classic: 

Thanks a lot for your more than positive feedback, Lego Train 12 Volts, baard, Interlocken, J_C and kieran !

As for the promised video, I hope there is a chance to shoot and upload it within the next few days.

That's a beautiful passenger wagon, I love the details on it! :laugh: 

Edited by jan_12

On 10/24/2016 at 5:23 AM, Tenderlok said:

*snip*

1000x350.jpg

*snip*

I know that it's being used as a detail element, but I can't shake the idea of some poor minifig trying to desperately hold onto the side of this magnificent coach for dear life until......

2 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

[...] but I can't shake the idea of some poor minifig trying to desperately hold onto the side of this magnificent coach for dear life until......

:rofl:   :roflmao:

Ooops... didn't notice that one of that damned train surfers had entered my layout... :wink:

Thanks all for your friendly words!

Edited by Tenderlok