Sign in to follow this  
Exetrius

Nocturnus Minichallenge III [Cat. C]: The Pumpkin Soldier

Next! Yes, come in... 

Lord Raavage was already in a bad mood. One thing his contest had made painfully clear was that skilled enchanted pie bakers were few and far between. He was still trying get rid of the nasty taste of the previous pie... 

30185453040_e688212247_z.jpg

Name.

Your Highness! Siralia of Ilyasvir, from the district of Moruth!

Siralia tried to conceal her anxiety, for she knew that what she was about to serve was a gamble on a very particular taste. This deal could seal her fate. All she could do now, was hoping the mighty Lord of Nocturnus would be benevolent, despite his dauntingly bothered expression.

Bring forth your pie, serpent!

The moment of truth was upon her. Three months work, all of her mana and even the extract of a sacrificed soul were put into this pie... "Pie", that was her largest concern. She took a deep breath and started activating five of the eleven magic spells supporting her creation. It entered the hall, by itself...

30185454700_9f6ec6d5e6_z.jpg

Clumsily; goofy; tumbling from right to left of the hall, it came forward, while swinging its blade and shield, until it held still in front of the dining table. 
I am honored to present my humble creation: a pie in a harness of pumpkin, under my command! 

Lord Raavage seemed slightly impressed. He stood up from his chair. He laughed for a moment.

Servant, hand me a blade! Now, tell your pumpkin soldier to bring it on! 

29853216064_1a16696cda_z.jpg

30185455300_6f24d0feda_z.jpg

29853217144_8db1eeec4c_z.jpg

The animated pumpkin had more coordination in battle than Raavage anticipated based on its clumsy entrance, but it lacked any strength, as expected from.. eh... a pie? He slashed right through the head, which activated Siralia's final trick: reshaping the core chunks...

29851602843_fd43844b80_z.jpg

29853225954_204c74b9fc_z.jpg

... leaving a confused Raavage with a perfectly ordinary pumpkin pie on his shiny plate.

What would he think of the pie? Would he read Siralia's application letter she left on the floor? Her destiny was in the hands of the Lord of Nocturnus!

Thanks for looking, C&C always appreciated! :wink:

Edit: More images:

29850317053_96a853f744_z.jpg

30483994465_00272054d7_z.jpg

Edit 2: Added overview picture for better judgement:

30416923862_861cb08ba2.jpg

Edited by Exetrius

Very clever story, Exetrius! Well done. As usual, your figure posing and action photography are brilliant, and I particularly enjoy how Siralia has a green elf ear over one eye and very emo hair. 

1 hour ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Very clever story, Exetrius! Well done. As usual, your figure posing and action photography are brilliant, and I particularly enjoy how Siralia has a green elf ear over one eye and very emo hair. 

lol exactly this! good job!! ^^

Great idea for the pumpkin creature.  The story is great too.  love to see the follow up of this.  Did u use the cmf elf hair or the cmf werewolf hair for Siralia's hairpiece?

8 hours ago, ZCerberus said:

Love it.  Very creative.  Nocturnus needs pumpkin soldiers!

8 hours ago, TitusV said:

I love the approach, that pumkin is really funny!

7 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

6 hours ago, Mpyromaxos said:

Nice creation! Loved the pumkin soldier! :pir-wub:

6 hours ago, en_zoo said:

lol exactly this! good job!! ^^

Thanks a lot, guys! :classic:

I'm really glad that I managed to bring forth an entry, for several reasons. I missed out on Mini challenges I and II; there was only one day night of building for me; I had a lack of inspiration for months, or my parts collection didn't fit with my ideas; and finally, I was the one to suggest this mini challenge. Many thanks, Z! :wink:

@Henjin That was exactly the rebel-ish look I was hoping to achieve, thanks! :purrr:

42 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

Great idea for the pumpkin creature.  The story is great too.  love to see the follow up of this.  Did u use the cmf elf hair or the cmf werewolf hair for Siralia's hairpiece?

Thank you for your compliments! None of the two hairpieces actually, it's from DC Superheroes' Beast Boy: http://brickset.com/minifigs/sh198

I'll order 100 of those pumpkin soilders, but do they come in cabbage? :tongue:

Great story, very funny. Amazing pumpkin soilder, great use of parts:thumbup:

You always seem to come up with inventive mocs and this one is no different. The pumpkin solider, while being a creation of dark intentions, has a charm all of its own. 

On 23-10-2016 at 1:44 AM, The Maestro said:

I'll order 100 of those pumpkin soilders, but do they come in cabbage? :tongue:

Great story, very funny. Amazing pumpkin soilder, great use of parts:thumbup:

9 hours ago, Blufiji said:

You always seem to come up with inventive mocs and this one is no different. The pumpkin solider, while being a creation of dark intentions, has a charm all of its own. 

Thank you for your comments! :sweet: Yeah, would be cool to assemble a few more of these! The CMF pumpkin bucket was the only piece in my collection that remotely resembled a real pumpkin, from that I put the soldier together, which made me decide to do a full build. Admittedly, the rest was a bit uninspired, except for the table, which has a complicated internal structure. I'm glad the story and builds are well-received!

I have added an overview picture, but the quality is not all that great. Just for the sake of being able to judge this build better. :wink:

Yay for the added overview picture! :pir-laugh:

I like your humorous approach to the mini-challenge, the pumpkin warrior is great :thumbup: Good work with the SNOT base, incorporating the Spire colors, and setting up a raised area for Raavage :classic:

On 24-10-2016 at 6:20 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Yay for the added overview picture! :pir-laugh:

I like your humorous approach to the mini-challenge, the pumpkin warrior is great :thumbup: Good work with the SNOT base, incorporating the Spire colors, and setting up a raised area for Raavage :classic:

1 hour ago, LittleJohn said:

Very nice build, and excellent story, Exetrius! The pumpkin soldier is great, and I like the SNOT flooring :thumbup:

Honestly, I wasn't really satisfied with the floor, as I wanted to do a checkered headlight brick pattern, but failed and had to settle with something technically less impressive. Anyway, thank you for your compliments! :classic: