Ayrlego

[COR - Octoberfest] Highland Sword Dancing

Angus and Dougal Macalister, brothers from the highland region of Corrington, have recently arrived in Weelond looking for work. Former soldiers from one of Corrington's famed highland regiments, the two have heard rumours that Eslandolan employers may be recruiting experienced soldiers.

30328873612_1af1331115_c.jpg

On arriving in Weelond, the pair found Oktoberfest in full swing. Seeing an opportunity to both make a little money, and at the same time market themselves, the pair donned their former regimental uniforms and are performing traditional highland sword dancing for the crowds!
Edited by Ayrlego

Very nice. I wish I had been able to get the CM F Bagpiper.

The Truachesh neh Triuri in Eslandola still call that dance The Blades of War.

Edited by gedren_y

Very nice little build, Ayrlego, the facade is quite impressive, and the posing is perfect! :pir-wink: :pir-laugh:  My only suggestions would be to try to take the picture from a slight angle to avoid the cracks of white showing through the wall, and also perhaps to put another light tan plate under the roof - for some reason or another it seems to start oddly there, I can't quite put my finger on why though (and I'm really not quite sure that the plate would work either, but it might help! :grin:)  My other suggestion would be to try to include a door when doing a building facade like this - of course it's not always necessary, but I find that it generally adds more interest to the wall, and gives a better idea of what part of the building you are looking at.

Those are just a few trifles, though, overall this is entry for a 12x12! :classic:

This build is very fun and looks great. The bagpiper is a great figure. I like how you did the base of this build and the facade of the building looks appealing. I think it may be my eyes playing tricks on me but I can't decide if that is tan or gold trim on the building. 

Glad to see you've come to Octoberfest! Lovely façade; nice use of those gear pieces. The lighting makes it hard to tell: what color of green is the building? And the trim is tan, right? Interesting color combination that works surprisingly well.

Great job posing the highlanders. The bagpipe player is excellent, but I particularly like the pose of the one just dancing.

Also, kudos for simulating the Weelond cobblestone streets! :pir-grin:

All-in-all, an excellent entry! :thumbup:

Now I just wonder if any future entries are going to feature food or drink...

17 hours ago, gedren_y said:

Very nice. I wish I had been able to get the CM F Bagpiper.

The Truachesh neh Triuri in Eslandola still call that dance The Blades of War.

Thanks, I was lucky to get two at the time - both used in this build!

15 hours ago, Garmadon said:

and also perhaps to put another light tan plate under the roof - for some reason or another it seems to start oddly there, I can't quite put my finger on why though (and I'm really not quite sure that the plate would work either, but it might help! :grin:)  My other suggestion would be to try to include a door when doing a building facade like this

Thanks Garmadon, I agree the roof looks somehow wrong. Actually this little section is really a trial run for a big project for Arlinsport I am planning in my head, so I'll note I need to work on the roof transition! The reason I didn't do a door is that I figured it would be weird for the guys to be dancing right outside someone's front door!

15 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

This build is very fun and looks great. The bagpiper is a great figure. I like how you did the base of this build and the facade of the building looks appealing. I think it may be my eyes playing tricks on me but I can't decide if that is tan or gold trim on the building. 

Thanks SilentWolf, it was your Octoberfest builds that motivated me to stop being lazy and get something together! The trim is indeed tan!

15 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Glad to see you've come to Octoberfest! Lovely façade; nice use of those gear pieces. The lighting makes it hard to tell: what color of green is the building? And the trim is tan, right? Interesting color combination that works surprisingly well.

No problems Capt Wolf! The lighting does seem a bit weird, not sure what was going on. The green is medium green - a colour I didn't even know existed until recently. The piece selection is really limited, a couple of months ago I managed to get 300 from a Bricklink seller in Denmark for the planned project I mentioned in my response to Garmadon. The trim is tan. 

15 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Also, kudos for simulating the Weelond cobblestone streets! :pir-grin:

Thanks! I studied your Weelond builds for both this scene and the red school - got to get the little details correct right! Also the spectator on the left with the children is a certain Corrish school teacher...